Line-weights when "printing" to PDF

deanbrenneman

On 9/13/2019 at 5:42 AM, deanbrenneman said:

I've never seen this problem before - I "print" my layout sheets to Chief PDF, and the floor plan comes up with super-heavy linewieghts, making it virtually unreadable.  No problem with the rest of my set including elevations, sections and roof plan.  Any thoughts about what is going on?

VAN Bruggen CD PHASE 1.REV 1.pdf

This is what I see when I open your PDF.  Not sure I see anything too unusual about it...

PDF.thumb.jpg.16c7c76f6ba7752299435b5b14e612ae.jpg

I took a quick look at the plans and layout you attached. Apparently, there are other plan files that were not attached, or maybe different versions of plans. When I opened the layout there were missing plan files. Usually best to do a zipped full project backup from the layout file to make sure all of the referenced plan files are there.

The thing I noticed in layout was that you were using "live views" mixed with some "plot line" views. Make sure you check the "Use Layout Line Scaling" when sending to layout.

69377332_deanbrennemansnip.thumb.JPG.6398ab10613f35a4a3d7137618c10f21.JPG

You may want to search the forum for threads dealing with live views sent to layout as there was considerable discussion some time back with people being frustrated with the "fuzziness" of live views. I personally only send "plot lines" to layout; just my personal preference.

It also appears you are referencing some CAD elevations in layout that were drawn on the plan view; not sure why you would do that but that may be your drawing method.

With what you attached, I think you really should look into using "plan views" for your work flow (don't know what version of CA you are using). Plan Views have really streamlined my workflow. Then really work on your line weights in your layersets. There is no reason you should have to set all of the layers to "1" just to get a clean layout; that is counterintutive. Different line weights are a must for good, legible condocs.

I do have one question, out of curiosity. On the EC plan, are there really 3-different sandwiched exterior walls on the main portion of the house - 2x4 wall with siding, 2x4 wall with stucco, and then furring with vertical siding on the extreme exterior? Never seen that before.

Anyway, I hope this helps a little.