Hardware Location on Full Height Cabinet

kwhitt

I searched the forum and was unable to come up with a solution for this.  The hardware on a full height cabinet is not behaving correctly.  I have two doors, one over the other using the CA Core tubular pulls.  I am using a 3.5" offset from the edge of the door.  The top door places as expected, however, I am unable to get the bottom door's pull to locate that same 3.5" from the top edge of the door.  The door/drawer fronts are ones that I created myself if that makes any difference.

full height cabinet hardware.jpg

Specify the hardware for the offending door in the face configuration.

It's not your door symbol it's the hardware symbol causing the problem. When you get around to your own custom hardware be sure to test out the symbol origins, in particular on appliance handles. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

It's not your door symbol it's the hardware symbol causing the problem. When you get around to your own custom hardware be sure to test out the symbol origins, in particular on appliance handles. 

You are right. Custom handle.

19 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Thanks Mark.  I didn't realize you could even specify hardware from the face config.  That's handy.  I'm running into another problem where the hardware is not resting on the recessed panel inside the drawer.  Any workarounds for this? 

5 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks Mark.  I didn't realize you could even specify hardware from the face config.  That's handy.  I'm running into another problem where the hardware is not resting on the recessed panel inside the drawer.  Any workarounds for this? 

No they don't and I don't think they ever did. I remember talking about this many years ago in the previous forum.

9 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

For hardware to sit on a recessed panel instead of rail or stile you need to copy to user library, rename, open symbol, change the Y origin so it sets back however much the recess is. 

• Upvote 1

That's inconvenient.  Mark - when you make the axis change, does CA calculate that in object space in relation to the door panel or is it a world coordinate setting?  I ask as I won't bother if I have to have different symbols for each leg (run) of my kitchen.

4 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

That's inconvenient.  Mark - when you make the axis change, does CA calculate that in object space in relation to the door panel or is it a world coordinate setting?  I ask as I won't bother if I have to have different symbols for each leg (run) of my kitchen.

Its calculated in Object space so you should only need 2 symbols.  

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

That's inconvenient.  

Meh, computers are not smart. As far as Chief knows the door or drawer is 3/4" thick so it places the hardware in relation to the front of that. I suppose it would be pleased to program doors otherwise but at what cost to performance. 

I find it useful to understand how the program sees things, then work within that framework, less frustration. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, kwhitt said:

I can't image there'd be any more hit to the performance than the manual method you describe. 

Well the face count for every door symbol would multiply dramatically. Download a LA Cornue range from the 3d Warehouse and import it as is to see how face count matters. At some point we get into 2020 territory. 

I realized that the above is wrong, face count doesn't change. What would need to happen would be a more complex bounding box or multiple bounding boxes for the door symbol.

• Like 1