Is there a way to change which floor shows the terrain perimeter?

DKNUDSEN

I have designed a house with 3 floors. Currently all my terrain and elevation data shows on floor 1. Floor 1 is a walkout/basement and I would like to be able to see the terrain perimeter and elevation data on the  2nd floor instead. Is there a way to adjust which floor shows the terrain perimeter in my plan view? 

Things I have tried. Creating a foundation (floor 0) and exchanging 1st floor with floor 0. It won't let allow me to exchange a foundation with another floor. 

20 minutes ago, DKNUDSEN said:

I have designed a house with 3 floors. Currently all my terrain and elevation data shows on floor 1. Floor 1 is a walkout/basement and I would like to be able to see the terrain perimeter and elevation data on the  2nd floor instead. Is there a way to adjust which floor shows the terrain perimeter in my plan view? I am using Home Designer Pro 2019. 

Things I have tried. Creating a foundation (floor 0) and exchanging 1st floor with floor 0. It won't let allow me to exchange a foundation with another floor. 

This is a great question.  If you were using CA Pro I think I have a solution.

With CA you can use ref sets,  many many many ref sets to accomplish what you want.  

But what if you put the terrain on level one and you do a floor overview of level zero?  You cannot see the terrain.  So build the terrain on level zero and then you can see the terrain with a floor overview from any floor.  I have not incorporated that into my template plan yet....  but.....

I just tried using a ref set in 3d so I could see my terrain in level zero if my terrain was built on level 1....  it was a no go....  I may need to put my terrains on level zero from here on out if I want to see the terrain in level zero floor overview.....  but there are some drawbacks to then....  i.e. editing sidewalks etc.

This post is simply some musings on my part.  

• Upvote 1

Cut and Paste (Hold Position) the Terrain and elevation data from floor 1 to floor 2.

In doing so, you will lose your terrain definition, but the terrain polyline will still be there.

Select it and Convert To a Terrain Perimeter.

All your other terrain information should still work.

On 9/12/2019 at 4:29 PM, glennw said:

You probably didn't do what I said.

Did you select the elevation data as well as the terrain perimeter?

yep,  thanks for that Glenn.  

Another option is the cross section slider.  Do a floor over view of level 1 and then using slider get rid of walls at level 1........ that might be the best option for me.

I probably do not use the cross section slider as much as I should.

BTW,  wouldn't you need to select the roads also and then cut and paste that down to level below?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dshall said:

BTW,  wouldn't you need to select the roads also and then cut and paste that down to level below?

Yeah,  if you leave a street or sidewalk behind,  it will disappear when you carry out Glenn's cut and paste operation.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dshall said:

Another option is the cross section slider.  Do a floor over view of level 1 and then using slider get rid of walls at level 1........ that might be the best option for me.

But,  if the land slopes,  and the back terrain is higher than first level and the front of terrain is below the first level,  you. will miss some of the terrain when using the cross section slider.

I suppose the best for me might be to switch to putting the terrain on level zero.

BTW......  I just love love love the latest ability to use multiple ref sets....  great addition to the program.........  I kind of wish I could use different ref sets with 3D.