Material Lists

jbaehmer

I know this is something that most people here do not use....

However, is there anywhere that gives good direction on how material lists and the master lists work?  CA tutorials were not very helpful and I can't find much online that goes into some kind of detail of how they work and goes a little more in detail than the CA videos?

I have learned some through trial and (Lots of) errors. Basically, each time you create a materials list, and include pricing for the items contained therein, you can select these items and update the Master List with these cost.

For instance; Your Master List shows 2x4x92-5/8" @ $2.00, and your new list has the same item, but at current cost of $3.00, you can update the master list with the new cost. Over time you will develop a substantial cost data base.

As for newly created materials list, you would select the items on the list, and update the cost from the master list. Any exact item in the Master List will then transfer that cost to your new list.

I used a simple plan for this purpose, which has most of the items we normally require for every project.

Also, you'll want to re-visit the "Structural Member Reporting", check the buy list, and add or remove items as needed, and check "Consolidate Unhandled Boards. This should end the materials list reporting 15 pieces of 2x4x3-7/8", and group them into something like 1 Pc. 2x4x7'-8 5/8.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

If you could describe what you are interested in doing with the material list it might make it easier for others to help.

You can also use a combination of the Material List and Excel to accomplish things that are not part of Chief's capabilities.  Not a big fan of the format of the Material List in general, and that includes the Master List except for a few things.  That is why I like to use excel and pivot tables.  As mentioned above, there are some excelent tools in the Material List such as Structural Member Reporting that make for a good starting point.

If you were really good with Access then that would be another way to go