X6 Layout question

tommy1

In previous versions, if you placed a scale macro in plan view and then send the plan view to the layout, you could scroll in and out in the layout and see the scale change in the layout. In X6, you can't do that (or at least not for me). Is there a setting I'm missing? The scale changes just fine in plan view when scrolling in and out. Why not in the layout like it used to? I use this all the time.

TIA,

Tommy,

You would normally use the %box_scale% macro on each Layout box (the scale at which the view was sent to Layout).  I'm not sure why the %scale% macro doesn't automatically get updated based on the Plan, but IMO it's pretty useless anyway and might create a lot of confusion if visible and printed.

Joe, I have no idea why you think the plan scale macro (%scale%) us useless? I do use it on every plan I do. I have never used the "%box_scale% macro". I have been putting the plan scale macro in my plans for years. Once it's in the plan, I send it to the layout at whatever scale I need. When viewing the layout, you could always zoom in and out and see the scale change in the layout just like as if you were looking at it in plan view. When you print it or make a pdf, it shows the correct scale in the pdf from which the plan or view was sent. This has always worked in previous versions, why not X6? I'm not asking for anything new, at least in previous versions.

• Upvote 1

Tommy,

I suspect that someone in the past complained that %scale% was changing and so for X6 - which really was concentrated on OS, the UI & the Layout - that that particular item had percolated to the top of the "Fix it List".  I don't know anyone else that uses %scale% the way you do.  Actually, I don't really know anyone else that's using it at all.  All of my regular correspondents are just using %box_scale% with each layout box. 

I know a lot of people that don't use it and when I show them how to use it, they really like it. They didn't even know it was there. I'm going to send this in because I really like it. I just want it to work the way it always did.

I will attempt to clarify this issue.

There are 2 macros that show scale:

1.  %box_scale% which reflects the scale of the view in the layout box.  This is what is on a printed sheet and indicates what scale could be reasonably used to check dimensions.

2.  %scale% which changes with zoom factor on the computer monitor.  It is inherently inaccurate because computer screens are different sizes and resolutions.

Evidently, in prior versions if %scale% was used in a Plan and subsequently sent to layout the display in layout would be reflected in real time if zoom was conducted in the Plan.  With X6 the value shown in the Layout is not updated automatically.  Tommy is simply asking that the prioor behaviour be restored.  I don't think that he is asking that %box_scale% be changed or eliminated.  The %box_scale% macro is not new to X6 and it works exactly the same as it did in X5.

Personally, I can't see any reason to use %scale% but if Tommy has a use for it that makes sense to him then having it modified back to how it worked in the past doesn't seem to be a big deal.  I would actually like him to explain how and why he uses it and for what purpose.

%scale% works for me; it saves me from making mistakes in labeling the scale on the plan, elevation, or layout manually.  It is a little disconcerting to see a really odd scale on the screen in plan and layout.  I would prefer to see simply %scale%; or some indication that a macro is at work here.

I put %view.name% and %scale% in the lower central area of each plan, elevation, and section.

You know, I could really care less if I'm the only one who uses it. I do use it and it's a tool that I like and Chief provides. I still want it to work like it did in previous versions. If you like to use other tools then I suggest you use what ever tool "floats your boat". I wish people would answer the question I asked initially about the tool in question instead of going off on another tool.

%scale% works for me; it saves me from making mistakes in labeling the scale on the plan, elevation, or layout manually.  It is a little disconcerting to see a really odd scale on the screen in plan and layout.  I would prefer to see simply %scale%; or some indication that a macro is at work here.

I put %view.name% and %scale% in the lower central area of each plan, elevation, and section.

Bill,

Try replacing %scale% with %box_scale% on your Layout Views.  I think you'll find it's quite nice.  If you want, I have a custom macro %my_box_scale% that further formats it to something like this:

Scale: 1/4" = 1'-0"

and I never see the strange 15/64"=1' in my Layouts.

Hi Joe,

I hadn't seen the %box_scale% macro before; I do like that it shows the true scale and that the text size is always appropriate for the layout..

I still prefer to do the label as a text macro within the plan or elevation because I can have a two line title with %view.name% with 3/16" underscored lettering, and the scale below with 1/8" letterling

post-62-0-17156200-1394000055_thumb.jpg

The downside of this is that it is not totally automatic (although I can copy and paste from floor to floor), and the macro text must be sized for differently scaled layout views.

You know, I could really care less if I'm the only one who uses it. I do use it and it's a tool that I like and Chief provides. I still want it to work like it did in previous versions. If you like to use other tools then I suggest you use what ever tool "floats your boat". I wish people would answer the question I asked initially about the tool in question instead of going off on another tool.

Sorry about that Tommy,  I thought the question had been answered.  Here is the answer.  

In layout I use the %box_scale%   in the layout label,  something Perry introduced me to.  I love it,  the scale remains constant.

Prior to that I used the %scale% ,  this I used the the PLAN FILE,  not the LAYOUT.  If you use the %scale% in your PLAN FILE,  you will  now see the scale change as you zoom in and out.  I believe this is what you are looking for.

Hi Joe,

I hadn't seen the %box_scale% macro before; I do like that it shows the true scale and that the text size is always appropriate for the layout..

I still prefer to do the label as a text macro within the plan or elevation because I can have a two line title with %view.name% with 3/16" underscored lettering, and the scale below with 1/8" letterling

attachicon.gifmacro.JPG

The downside of this is that it is not totally automatic (although I can copy and paste from floor to floor), and the macro text must be sized for differently scaled layout views.

Bill,  I generally use a Text Block in the Plan that is sent to Layout for the View Title.  I just draw a line under it.  Sometimes I do it in the Layout instead.  I have a couple of CAD Blocks in my Library that I use for this - make it pretty easy to add anyplace I need them. 

It would be really nice if we had RT Labels that could contain more info on multiple lines - something that we've been asking for but CA hasn't done it yet.  It would also be nice if we had a macro for Layout View Name ;) in addition to Layout Box Scale.

The scale macro is supposed to always show the scale that we are drawing to. This is the true scale. The box scale is not the drawing scale so is a false scale unless you print to the sheet size you selected.

You should prefer to use the scale macro if you want your printout to reflect an accurate scale.

I'm not sure why the scale macro is not updating in layout as you zoom in and out. It does however update when you print so is still trustworthy from that standpoint.

It is a bug that it doesn't update when you zoom in layout. It seems like it is only picking up the scale as it was when you did a send to layout. It does work in plan view.

Sorry about the regression.

My advice is to never use box scale because it won't be right for check plots or fit to paper.

The scale macro is supposed to always show the scale that we are drawing to. This is the true scale. The box scale is not the drawing scale so is a false scale unless you print to the sheet size you selected.

You should prefer to use the scale macro if you want your printout to reflect an accurate scale.

I'm not sure why the scale macro is not updating in layout as you zoom in and out. It does however update when you print so is still trustworthy from that standpoint.

It is a bug that it doesn't update when you zoom in layout. It seems like it is only picking up the scale as it was when you did a send to layout. It does work in plan view.

Sorry about the regression.

My advice is to never use box scale because it won't be right for check plots or fit to paper.

Thank you Doug. FINALLY got an answer to my question. I will submit this to Tech Support and see if it's possible to get a fix on this.

Tommy:

I am reminded of John Milton's essay on the "Majority of One"

you want what you want and just because others don't use or need

should have no impact on what you want

glad to hear CA agrees with you

given that I like flexibility I would vote for both methods

Lew

Just got a reply from Leanne S. from Tech Support and she said that she doesn't know if it will make it to the next update but will submit it for evaluation. This is frustrating. I use it a lot and may just stick with X5 for a while. I use it for many reasons which I don't have to explain here. This tool should work properly or at least as it did in previous versions.