Find/Replace Text

robdyck

I thought I'd give the find/replace text tool a try and it doesn't appear to work (in this case). According to the Help page, I'm doing it correctly, yet it can't find the rich text shown on the screen. In the find/replace tool, I used a copy of the text in question so there's no typing errors. Hmm...I'll try a few more. Any tips from other users would be appreciated!

image.thumb.png.dfc964ea185a8c068f83fb03c140c0e6.pngimage.thumb.png.ba330eb1b8972d7a77afa083c7313a49.png

18 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I thought I'd give the find/replace text tool a try and it doesn't appear to work (in this case). According to the Help page, I'm doing it correctly, yet it can't find the rich text shown on the screen. In the find/replace tool, I used a copy of the text in question so there's no typing errors. Hmm...I'll try a few more. Any tips from other users would be appreciated!

image.thumb.png.dfc964ea185a8c068f83fb03c140c0e6.pngimage.thumb.png.ba330eb1b8972d7a77afa083c7313a49.png

Silly question--maybe not---but did you perhaps forget to click Find Next or Replace All?

Just now, Alaskan_Son said:

Silly question--maybe not---but did you perhaps forget to click Find Next or Replace All?

Not a silly question! With that first example I clicked and tried everything until I was out of breath! I tried that particular rich text box because I know exactly where the 2 instances are located. I tried 2 forms initially:

-right clicked the text box, control-c, then control-v into 'find/replace tool'. Didn't work.

-opened the rich text box, highlighted the entire text selection, control-c, exit text dbx, then control-v into 'find/replace tool'. Didn't work.

5 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Not a silly question! With that first example I clicked and tried everything until I was out of breath! I tried that particular rich text box because I know exactly where the 2 instances are located. I tried 2 forms initially:

-right clicked the text box, control-c, then control-v into 'find/replace tool'. Didn't work.

-opened the rich text box, highlighted the entire text selection, control-c, exit text dbx, then control-v into 'find/replace tool'. Didn't work.

Strange, because I can't replicate.  It always seems to work for me.

I just did a quick trial: the reason (I think) it can't find that text selection is due to format of the original rich text. It is from my library, and has been typed over 2 lines as opposed to having it's textbox resized to make it display over 2 lines. The 'find/replace' tool doesn't like that.

image.thumb.png.4e2502d80c63d03226c89afbb23054ea.png

This would appear to be one of the issues of having at least 2 different types of text inherent in the program. Kind of like how spell check isn't available within the custom object fields dbx. And kinda like grids aren't available in rich text. There's probably quite a few other text pet peeves or inconsistencies ( or whatever you want to call them) that other uses woul have examples of.

Along these lines, I tried to 'check spelling' of a door schedule where I purposely entered some incorrect spelling into the 'comment' field of 1 door.

The spell checker will find it, but even though I click 'replace', and it moves to the next selection, there is no change to the schedule.

4 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

It seem to be that the carriage return is the problem.  It appears as if though it isn't actually getting pasted into that particular dialog box.

Yup. The entry field doesn't 'support' a full or identical rich text copy. Would you consider this to be an issue that needs to be addressed by Chief? It seems to me that all text features within the program would need to be amalgamated into only one type of text box/field. I'm sure that's no big deal for Chief's programmers!