X11 Custom Countertop w/ Backsplash

JonathanK

I'm sure there's a setting I'm missing somewhere...but how on earth do you remove the sidesplash on a custom countertop?!

I clicked on the edges of the countertop polyline, and selected no molding on selected edges...but alas...it's still there.

Is this a "change the cabinet to have no backsplash and then use the custom backsplash tool to create one only where you want it" sort of issue?

See attached for a picture...

Countertop.jpg

14 minutes ago, JonathanK said:

I'm sure there's a setting I'm missing somewhere...but how on earth do you remove the sidesplash on a custom countertop?!

I clicked on the edges of the countertop polyline, and selected no molding on selected edges...but alas...it's still there.

Is this a "change the cabinet to have no backsplash and then use the custom backsplash tool to create one only where you want it" sort of issue?

See attached for a picture...

Countertop.jpg

The Backsplash is controlled in the Base Cabinet Specification dbx, in the first, or General catagory.  Height, thickness, and weather or not to have a side one.

They are probably part of the CT that comes with the cab, not your custom.

I apologize...it's been a minute since I've been on here and can't believe that my signature wasn't up-to-snuff.

See attached for a plan...

I understand that this is driven by the cabinet...but the cabinet has the "sides" option unchecked which should mean that there are no sidesplashes.  But they always show with custom countertops...always have.

Countertop Plan.plan

Thank you all for replying.

It's funny, though, that it's been this way forever.  Rather than not use it, why not bring it up again and again until it gets fixed?

I know that CA did a lot of revamping of their cabinets and stuff...this could have easily been, or could still easily, be fixed.

I think I'm going to put it in the suggestion forum.

• 1 year later...

I am sorry to see this hasn't been fixed. I usually don't have a problem with using the custom countertop feature on an island, but in this case I am using it on a peninsula and it's generating a 4" backsplash which I can't get rid of. It's not driven by the cabinet, it's a problem with the custom countertop feature. Frustrating but will do another CAD material instead.

Chief custom counter issue.jpg

Just to clarify, this is the way the program is designed to work.

When you have a custom counter top, it should have a backsplash along any edge that is against a wall when it is over a base cabinet that has a backsplash.

If your custom counter top is over multiple base cabinets, the program will use the first one it finds to get the backsplash attributes (such as the height, thickness, and material).

The "Side" and "Always Present" backsplash options in the base cabinet dialog have nothing to do with this.  Since a custom counter top can be any arbitrary shape, above multiple base cabinets, and against multiple walls, it is an all or nothing thing.  You either have a backsplash along a wall or not and the program is simply not able to determine what side of the polyline should be considered a "side" or a "back" like a cabinet can. 

In Jonathan's situation, you can get rid of the backsplash completely by opening the base cabinet and turning it off (you don't need to turn off the counter top, just the backsplash).  This will also turn off the backsplash along the back wall.  You can then manually add a backsplash on the back wall using the custom backsplash tool.

In jcdurand's situation, I am 99% sure that your custom counter top is over a base cabinet that has a backsplash.  If not, then you should report this to our technical support team so that we can look into this further.

2 hours ago, jcdurand said:

I am sorry to see this hasn't been fixed. I usually don't have a problem with using the custom countertop feature on an island, but in this case I am using it on a peninsula and it's generating a 4" backsplash which I can't get rid of. It's not driven by the cabinet, it's a problem with the custom countertop feature. Frustrating but will do another CAD material instead.

Chief custom counter issue.jpg

Can you post that plan?