Q. Why sometimes when printing a PDF to paper, the PNG images print with a solid black background?

para-CAD

So this is the second time a client builder of mine has taken an Arch D scaled PDF plan and printed it to 11x17 [ANSI B] on an HP Officejet 7612 and also an HP Officejet 8600 Premium from an Apple computer and the pages with exported 3D images all print with a solid black background.  (Those are all the variables I can think of). 

When I send the same PDF file to my Brother MFC laser printer it prints 8.5x11 fine.....no black issues.

Since I can't reproduce the condition I can't troubleshoot it. 

Has anyone else experienced and more importantly - SOLVED this?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

-

Mike

PNG print black.jpg

Normal.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi Mike,

I bet they printed from the Preview app on the Mac computer. I've seen a lot of this. It's just been since the Mojave OS was released. I had to switch to print from Acrobat Reader instead of Preview for that exact reason.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, LevisL said:

I think the bug is when the images have a transparent background from what I can tell.

Yes that is correct.  It seems to be an issue with .png files.  Adobe seems to be able to handle it while others can not.

Not sure it is exclusively a Mac problem as it seems to happen with Microsoft as well. 

4 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I believe this is the case with Apple’s Preview app as well.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one! I never changed my background color from the default. I also don't use the Dark Mode introduced with the release of Mojave.

1205479392_PreviewBackgroundColor.thumb.png.21b5edb97bc8d5d243e3cfa2d16ca73d.png

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, LevisL said:

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one! I never changed my background color from the default. I also don't use the Dark Mode introduced with the release of Mojave.

1205479392_PreviewBackgroundColor.thumb.png.21b5edb97bc8d5d243e3cfa2d16ca73d.png

I could very well be wrong about that.  I just saw that it should be possible doing a quick search.  I do know for a fact that it is the case with a handful of other programs though.  Very commonly, the default background color is black.  I've had to change this setting on some of the software I use in order to actually see and work with black images that have transparent backgrounds.

It is happening to me in X10 using the integrated Adobe Acrobat DC print driver, or direct to Adobe.

It is only my legends, which are grouped under a single layer before sending to layout.  They appear fine in layout but you can quickly see in the print preview that the backgrounds on all of them are black.  And oddly the rectangles in the plan are shown as rounded corner boxes in PDF, filled with black.

Pg 2 and 3 of attached PDF show the results.

Even odder, I brought up an old plan and created a new layout and it does not happen.  I can't figure it out!

58 Bees Creek.pdf

2 hours ago, DrewFenton said:

It is happening to me in X10 using the integrated Adobe Acrobat DC print driver, or direct to Adobe.

It is only my legends, which are grouped under a single layer before sending to layout.  They appear fine in layout but you can quickly see in the print preview that the backgrounds on all of them are black.  And oddly the rectangles in the plan are shown as rounded corner boxes in PDF, filled with black.

Pg 2 and 3 of attached PDF show the results.

Even odder, I brought up an old plan and created a new layout and it does not happen.  I can't figure it out!

58 Bees Creek.pdf

That almost looks to me like you have a really heavy lineweight for your legend borders.

• Upvote 1

You are a genius Levin!  That is exactly what it was.  It was set to 5000.  I believe I was trying to thicken them some in the plan views but no matter what I typed in, it had no affect on plan.  But I guess it does have a BIG effect once in Layout.  Thank you again, you saved me!

7 minutes ago, DrewFenton said:

You are a genius Levin!  That is exactly what it was.  It was set to 5000.  I believe I was trying to thicken them some in the plan views but no matter what I typed in, it had no affect on plan.  But I guess it does have a BIG effect once in Layout.  Thank you again, you saved me!

No problem! Actually, you can see the effect in plan view. Just toggle the 'Line Weights' icon on. I usually leave mine 'on' unless I need to do more intricate detailing and the line weights get in the way of being accurate.

1134717447_Lineweightsicon.thumb.png.8a3b5979f3c735e76765ab562983dd8a.png

Also, when I send a view to layout, I always check 'Use Layout Line Scaling' below the scale. This way the line weights and dash lengths look consistent from one view to the other, regardless of scale

And lastly, it helps if your drawing sheet setup in both plan and layout both have the same line weight settings. I use 1 = 1/100mm, which I think is the default. I know @dshall and I had a gotomeeting last year where we played around with the line weight settings in plan that were different than in layout and we had some odd results. 

• 2 years later...

Searching on internet find this post today because i have the same problem but also i found the solution.

my printer is a Samsung M2026.

Until yesterday i print my PDF fine.

after a pop up window of my printer says this toner has print more pages from that is compatible start to print my invoices that have a PNG picture on it with black background or blur.

After many checks i notice one more problem.

my cartridge meshed up whit more toner than normally.

one more think is the red light that is for ink is on (not blinking).

the toner i use is aftermarket and i think and these toners they have some lock like originals.

so i change the cartridge with a new aftermarket and the problem solved!!!

Magic? I don't think so.

sorry for my English and i hope this post helps someone.

• Upvote 1