Vinyl soffit texture direction

kwhitt

The way to accomplish that is to make a copy of the original material and name the copy 90d etc, so you end up with two materials each that is orientated in the direction you wish. The common tool to use for this is to locate the target material in "Plan Materials" and then proceed to create the "copy".

DJP

David - thanks for the reply.  I understand copying a material to change it's attributes.  However, in this case, the roof plane is generating the soffit and it's all one piece.  I've tried creating a separate roof plane at the overhang only, but this creates a problem with the flush eve I need.  It will revert back to a pork chop eve return which I don't want.  I guess I could use a polyline solid, but what a pain! 

roof plane.jpg

flush eve checked.jpg

eves different.jpg

Thanks again Eric.  Did you use a polyline solid in the image above?

Can you comment on why the roof plane keeps generating a porch chop return at the end of the eve - even when I specify flush eve?  This happens regardless of whether the roof plane is one piece or not.  I've tried rebuilding the entire plane from scratch and it defaults back to having the return.  The file is attached.

Hogge_09-02-19.plan

@kwhitt

I'm glad you brought this up. In my experience Chief's roof returns and eaves are only reliable on the most basic of square or rectangle plans. And since it's not 1974, they just don't work reliably enough for me to use. I always try Chief's options first before I resort to making my own (using a variety of methods) but it sure sucks when those auto choices seemingly randomly alter their appearance just when you think you're plan is finalized and ready to print!

Glad to see you've added this to suggestions!

• Upvote 1

You could use a very thin rectangular frieze and apply the rotated material.

This method keeps the frieze attached to the roof plane which can makes things a bit easier than having a seperate ceiling plane, psolid, sofffit...etc. 

New Image_226.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, glennw said:

This method keeps the frieze attached to the roof plane which can makes things a bit easier than having a seperate ceiling plane, psolid, sofffit...etc. 

New Image_226.jpg

Genius!

1 hour ago, glennw said:

Glen, your original posting was actually more correct as I believe the vinyl gable soffit was intended to go the opposite direction.

I might be wrong but I think it is intended to be installed in short pieces like aluminum soffit would be.  However your illustration works great for wood soffit which is also an issue without your solution.  Your method works for both situations so, Thank You.

Just fiddling around a bit Frieze can be used to cover the Gable Fascia that has the same sort of problem when trying to apply a textured material that needs to be oriented correctly but it sure would be great if Chief would help out a bit so we don't have to give up one feature to illustrate another while also compromising the accuracy of the build. :wacko:

8 hours ago, glennw said:

New Image_226.jpg

Thanks Glenn.  Clever trick.