Room Planner

designjet

4 minutes ago, solver said:

The Room Planner mobile app was discontinued in mid-2019 now that many Bluetooth laser meters work directly on a PC, Mac or Microsoft Surface computer. By using Chief Architect Premier, Interiors or our DIY software on a laptop, gathering existing as-built conditions and measurements is a more efficient, thorough and accurate process.

Thanks buddy, I didn't know that

For exterior measurements, I would highly recommend using HOVER. I'm amazed what they can do with just photos from my phone. For about $50 per house, I get a full PDF report with an outline of the house, roof pitches, window/door sizes, and just about every dimension you need. You also get a 3D viewer model that you can measure directly from and change materials if you'd like.

I did use the room planner app for an as-built before, in January, and was very frustrated by it. I'm all about using technology to make things easier, but I was happy to go back to hand sketching for as-builts. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with having an expensive laptop in a home and trying to measure by myself. I'm always rushed to get done ASAP for some reason.

• 1 month later...

I am disappointed that RP was discontinued.

I am running CA 10 on a Windows 10 laptop.

I have a Bosch GLM 50 C (Bluetooth) that connects to the laptop but cannot seem to configure it to input dimensions directly to CA.

Has anyone had success in configuring this apparatus?

(Copy-Pasted from Home Talk)

Tiffany,

Thank you for the question. If you are already using Room Planner, you will be able to continue using it.  It is not available to purchase or download a s new app, but existing users can still access and download Room Planner.  We received feedback from customers that the Room Planner app was lacking in detail and accuracy for capturing as-builts.  Chief Architect is if focusing development resources on the desktop apps for OSX and Windows and the 3D Viewer on mobile to ensure we continue to lead the market with these products. 

Many are using Home Designer on a laptop or tablet computer such as the Microsoft Surface to capture as-builts.  Leica offers Bluetooth compatible laser devices that will interface with the computer and Home Designer, so that the measurements will go directly into the Home Designer similar to Room Planner. Here is a help article on how to hook up a Leica device with Home Designer. https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01846/using-a-leica-disto-device-with-chief-architect-software.html

Kind regards,

Derek

Chief Architect Software

Chief Architect Sales

sales@chiefarchitect.com

208-292-3400

DIY: HomeDesigner.chiefarchitect.com

Pros:chiefarchitect.com

Mobile: RoomPlanner.chiefarchitect.com

• 1 month later...

Dang...I almost bought a blue Disto D2....glad I read this.  I am pretty happy with site measuring with my Bosch, taking photos, then working it out at  the office for now. Sounds like one would have to shut off the licence on main computer to use tablet on site, then switch again if using the premier licence?...seems a pain.  Perhaps the bugs will get worked out for more efficient site measures.

10 hours ago, Hoff_Design said:

Dang...I almost bought a blue Disto D2....glad I read this.  I am pretty happy with site measuring with my Bosch, taking photos, then working it out at  the office for now. Sounds like one would have to shut off the licence on main computer to use tablet on site, then switch again if using the premier licence?...seems a pain.  Perhaps the bugs will get worked out for more efficient site measures.

I've been using a Leica and the Spectre laptop for about 2 yrs now. Started with a Disto X3 then moved to a 7500i. Mostly I use X9 for site measures so I don't have to switch license. When I have needed to swap license it's EZ, and if I forgot before leaving I just do it on my phone. Leica Disto Transfer app works with Chief on Windows but could be  a pain to switch Chief versions. New version of the app appears easier but only used it once so far and that was with upper version of Chief and may just stick with that and transfer as needed, like I said it's ez.