Railing fill?

Designer1

Normally when railings loose the center fill in 3d it means its not properly aligned with the walls below.  Usually a quick alignment of the walls corrects this.  However, in this design you can see the walls are purposely shaped custom for the design and the design wont allow for the railing to match the lower walls.  How can I get this ugly open space filled below the railing?

Thanks!

Stairs.jpg

Do you have a drywall layer in your railing wall definition ?  You need an exterior layer of something to fill that in. 

Leave it like it is if you are supporting the railing with an independent decorative structural beam.

Thanks for the replies.  Chopsaw I looked at the default railing that it was set to and it didnt have a drywall layer but even when I added one it didnt make a difference??  So what I decided to do is just do a polyline molding and cover it up.  It would have been nice to be able to fix this properly vs a tape job but at least its not looking like it was.  If I were to try it again with the drywall layer added onto the railing do I need to make any changes to the main layer or have it below or above the main default layer?  Im just wanting to try and figure this out even though I used the polyline molding.

Thanks for all your help!

This should work for your situation but you really only need one drywall layer if your wall is oriented correctly.

If that fails at least post a test plan that exhibits the same problem.  We are all just trying to help.

I believe the following is default and I have a custom one without drywall for special situations.

Interior Railing Wall Definition.JPG

Great thanks Chopsaw.  So I went ahead and deleted most the plan its nearly 6,000 square feet so there was a lot of deleting to do. I actually had to go back and delete more because the file was too big to load. However it does have both issues I wrote about on chieftalk the covered veranda with the pass thru with the sill tile I was trying to do and then the railing.  The railing looks fine because I put the molding on there but if I delete it, the crazy void is still there.  

Take a look and tell me what you think!

Example.plan

Take a look and see what you think.  Moved a drywall layer of the railing over to the exterior and fiddled with the intersection of the wall using the wall layer intersections tool.  Not sure why there is a gap in the rail between the curved and straight sections but ran out of time.  Just made a p-solid pass through sill cap for you as it looks like there is only one opening. You can edit the material and profile as you like.  Nice looking plan or at least what was left of it.  Hope that helps.

Example Chopped.plan

Chopsaw thanks so much for the compliments and the stair solution!  Yes it looks great, even better then the molding which looked funky because it didnt fit as well as it would using the other tools.

When you looked at the veranda opening do you think its only possible to do what I was wanting to do with that using a custom symbol vs just the tools in the door or pass thru dbx?

9 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

This should work for your situation but you really only need one drywall layer if your wall is oriented correctly.

If that fails at least post a test plan that exhibits the same problem.  We are all just trying to help.

I believe the following is default and I have a custom one without drywall for special situations.

Interior Railing Wall Definition.JPG

Looks like Chopsaw was right , the Railing wall Definition is incorrect but if works just fine once defined correctly and I changed the Default material for the exterior and interior wall surface back to Drywall.

Like Chopsaw I am also not sure why the top railing isn't joining properly on one end..

Chief will try to build the framing but it doesn't handle the curve well so that piece I had to delete from the camera view.

image.thumb.png.5c35c94be6574662318321d776914228.pngimage.thumb.png.48f29d431ef52da2baec407e8fa05d63.png  

Eric, by selecting the go through floor below does that help it connect better and create the railing more successfully?  I havent had to make any adjustments using those tools much.

Mick, thanks for the input.  I guess I will have to go check the X11 default railing settings because maybe all the new plans Im going to making might have similar issues.  I never ran across this before in the 16 years using chief... except for when you dont align walls correct sometimes the empty fill will happen but will self correct once you align the railing and wall.

12 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Mick, thanks for the input.  I guess I will have to go check the X11 default railing settings because maybe all the new plans Im going to making might have similar issues.  I never ran across this before in the 16 years using chief... except for when you dont align walls correct sometimes the empty fill will happen but will self correct once you align the railing and wall.

I haven't seen that happen myself , usually if they aren't aligned, the drywall is still there, the walls just show a bump-out in the wall at Ceiling height.

M.

12 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

except for when you don't align walls correct sometimes the empty fill will happen but will self correct once you align the railing and wall.

That is interesting as maybe the wall below does the fill in under those circumstances.

9 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Like Chopsaw I am also not sure why the top railing isn't joining properly on one end..

Just took another look and it is the "Rail to Post " setting that is used for the curved section and the adjoining short section over to the wall should likely be " Post to Rail" like the longer section.  That seems to suit the newels best.

17 hours ago, Designer1 said:

When you looked at the veranda opening do you think its only possible to do what I was wanting to do with that using a custom symbol vs just the tools in the door or pass thru dbx?

Yes if you were doing multiple windows or plans it would be worthwhile to make a sill symbol and apply it through the window/passthrough DBX.  It may need some hidden extensions if you are using casing at the same time as discussed in the thread Eric and I worked out the details for the other question that is in the link.

Wow thanks for all the feedback everyone a lot to look into.  I had changed the railings a few times so this makes sense that maybe I didnt have one of the railings all the same as the others.  I will try that cad option too Eric, I never thought of using the cad to help make it just right.  Usually I draw a straight railing diagonally to meet the other railing and then use the arc tool.  I will try out your method, thanks for that.

Chopsaw I will also make a special sill symbol for the pass thru opening and see how that works.

Thanks everyone for the input, I appreciate it a lot!:)