dimensions for cabinet configurations

sweetmelissa

Take for example the uploaded pics... sometimes when I set dimensions, whether automatic or manual, it will pick up the separate cabinet sections (doors vs drawers or whatever) and sometimes it does not.  If it does, it normally only pics up the middle of the entire cabinet if there is a separation there.  I can place points and dimension to the points, or I can simply put 3 different cabinets side by side.... but it would be easiest if I could figure out how to divide up the cabinet so it will pick up on the separate parts and allow me to dimension to them.  Hope that makes sense.  Anybody know how it works? Thank you ahead of time for your assistance!

Capture.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

I just did another vanity that has a door on one side and drawers on the other, not equally divided and it still picks up/dimensions to the middle of the cabinet.  it's not picking up the sink... what is it?? I'm sure it's obvious... please excuse my ignorance.  

Capture 3.PNG

30 minutes ago, sweetmelissa said:

I just did another vanity that has a door on one side and drawers on the other, not equally divided and it still picks up/dimensions to the middle of the cabinet.  it's not picking up the sink... what is it?? I'm sure it's obvious... please excuse my ignorance.  

Capture 3.PNG

Dimensions will snap to ends....AND center of object IF you have centers checked in locate object (I never do for cabinet)  

They will not snap to any face part. The only way for that is with a CAD detail. 

I just note in an OIP field face sizes if needed.

• Like 1

If there's a wall break or something behind the cabinet Chief will pick that up, sometimes instead of the cabinet side. Looks like that happened on your second image. If you're dimensioning elements in an elevation on one cabinet, you'll have to use points for anything other than counters and toe kicks. For example, if you want to dimension an appliance in elevation. Perhaps someday with will become more comprehensive. Hope this helps. 

On 8/27/2019 at 2:22 PM, MarkMc said:

AND center of object IF you have centers checked in locate object (I never do for cabinet)

NKBA wants designers to use centerlines on cabinets that contain electricity, water, or drains. I've seen it help some trades not to miss details.

2 hours ago, Adam_Gibson said:

NKBA wants designers to use centerlines on cabinets that contain electricity, water, or drains. I've seen it help some trades not to miss details.

I use a separate dimension default that only pulls center lines for mechanicals and always an electric plan. 

I'm a fan of NKBA guidelines but don't like how they dimension. My sets include all they ask for plus, just wouldn't pass the test

On 8/27/2019 at 10:47 AM, sweetmelissa said:

Capture 3.PNG

this looks as if the cabinets are not bumped together properly looking at the Drawer Lines.......

To get the Sink Center I think you need to turn on Fixtures>Centers in your Dim.defaults...

M.

7 hours ago, Adam_Gibson said:

Ha. That's funny. Cool.

The other thing is it looks to me as if the op has locate center checked for cabinets, fixtures are a completely different setting.

I never use the former, always use the latter. 

• Like 1