Vanity sinks

gmdesigns45

• 4 months later...

I'm creating a vanity sink base, 60" wide with a drawer base in the middle. The counter top will only allow one sink as part of the cabinet. I can place an additional sink in the top and it looks fine in both plan and elevation views. However, when I pull the cabinet into a schedule the elevation in the schedule will show only the one sink. Also, when I save the cabinet into the library it will also only save the cabinet with one sink. My question- how would I create and save the cabinet with two sinks?

Thank you for the reply. That doesn't seem to work, either. Evidently, I would need to be able to "place" two sinks in the same top in order for the second sink to be accepted in the object. I can make this correct in the plan, but, it doesn't save into the library correctly. More importantly, it doesn't show in the elevation view of the cabinet schedule correctly. I'm currently using X11.

Depending on what you need, whether or not you're making heavy use of the material list and/or fixture schedules, and how adept you are at the tools, you can also create a single custom symbol that includes both sinks.  here's a quick example that has both sinks in a single cabinet without having to create a block...

cab.thumb.jpg.e85038b7b6159c004f8ce253598e3959.jpg

Base Cabinet w Sink Pair.calibz

• Upvote 2

What is the blocking about?  I drew a single basecab, edited it to 72 width, fiddled with the front specs to get a 28 wide opening at each end, placed a sink, moved it away from center, placed a second sink freestanding and moved it into place, and I think I am done.  Did not do the work to edit the stack at the center into a 3 or 4-drawer array, but the sinks are there where needed.2019-12-31_1647.thumb.png.da8cfa09ed00b40da59356eb74a50bae.png

The main goal (at least the challenge I was personally trying to help solve) was to get a SINGLE cabinet for material lists and schedules (something that a block somewhat solves), and to get 2 sinks that BOTH show in schedule images and that BOTH carry with the unit when it’s added to the library (something that the block also solves).  The block has various problems and the double sink symbol method also has various problems, but they solve the challenge that was posed by NateGeno (not the OP).  

10 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

What is the blocking about?  I drew a single basecab, edited it to 72 width, fiddled with the front specs to get a 28 wide opening at each end, placed a sink, moved it away from center, placed a second sink freestanding and moved it into place, and I think I am done.  Did not do the work to edit the stack at the center into a 3 or 4-drawer array, but the sinks are there where needed.2019-12-31_1647.thumb.png.da8cfa09ed00b40da59356eb74a50bae.png

When you select it does it show two sinks?  And with the material list as well?  Only worked with me when I made a double sink and input it as one.

OK I get the blocking.  I don't do these as a single unit, so the single-cab thing isn't something I'd do.

Wouldn't one just do a comment about two sinks in the cab schedule?

My plans don't specify or schedule out plumbingware, so I guess I just didn't understand the specifics here.

34 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

OK I get the blocking.  I don't do these as a single unit, so the single-cab thing isn't something I'd do.

Wouldn't one just do a comment about two sinks in the cab schedule?

My plans don't specify or schedule out plumbingware, so I guess I just didn't understand the specifics here.

personally I generally would do three cabinets there for most of my builders as they are buying box cabinets and it’s pretty difficult to get that large of cabinet around hallways and upstairs in some cases.  But I have done ones this size for custom cabinet manufacturers.  

Although the note regarding double sink base would work I tend to do a schedule with a 3d preview so it makes it more accurate and precise to show the two sinks and removes one more possible chance for error on ordering.

3 hours ago, rgardner said:

personally I generally would do three cabinets there for most of my builders as they are buying box cabinets and it’s pretty difficult to get that large of cabinet around hallways and upstairs in some cases.  But I have done ones this size for custom cabinet manufacturers.  

No need for custom cabinets to get one of these. These are even available in an inexpensive builder grade brand like Merrilat Classic as well as every semi custom box mfg I know of. If buying off the shelf  you might need to use 3 cabinets required but the local box store even has a 60" in stock

It's easier to move around than typical tall cabinet or a lazy suzan, I've never had an issue.

At the same time a single cabinet will typically costs less than using 3 cabinets (50% in one brand I just checked), slightly increases usable storage, and  is faster to install.

2 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

At the same time a single cabinet will typically costs less than using 3 cabinets (50% in one brand I just checked), slightly increases usable storage, and  is faster to install.

Also uses less material so it’s less wasteful and they almost always look a lot nicer since they don’t have unnecessary seams.

Having cabinet shop build groups of potentially separate cabinets into single units also allows for a lot of configurations that would otherwise be super inefficient or even impossible.  It’s something we’ve done a lot.