Piggybacking an addition roof on to existing (w/trusses)

BFogarty

Sorry, more details:

Create your existing roof structure.  Create your new addition roof planes (do not build roof framing yet).  Use the roof plane edges as a guide to place the Truss Base in the area where the roofs overlap.  Once the Truss Base(s) are created, build your roof framing with your trusses.

I'm sorry but I didn't want to start a new thread because this pretains to the same issue.

Can somebody take this plan and get trusses to run on top of the existing split level?  I am able to draw a structure where the overlapping roofs ridge is below (using a truss base) and everything works fine.  Problem I'm having is with the overlapping roofs ridge is above, I am getting a "coplaner" error.  This should be so simple and is really starting to piss me off!

Thank you to anyone that has the time to mess with my headache!

Plan is attached

157 Main St. with addition v1.plan

Took some experimenting, but I got really close.  Lots of building and locking layers to make it this far. 

Items to note.  Don't delete the roof plane off in space.  If you do you will lose the existing roof trusses (even though the truss layer is locked).  Also, one truss appears in plan, but does not render in cross section or 3D views.  An error is produced during truss generation stating the problem and I will report it to CA. 

Hope this helps. 

Steps for the next time:

1) Create the original roof planes and build the associated trusses.  I then placed the "existing" roof planes and trusses on their own respective layers and locked the layer to alleviate any accidental selections and changes.

2) Drag the existing roof plane on the side of the overlay off into space and leave it.

2) Create the two "outside" roof planes.  These are the planes of the original roof that are outside of the overlay area of the new roof.  Placed on their own special layer.  Properly joined these two new layers to the existing front roof plane.

3) Built the two new roof planes and properly joined the new roof planes and the "outside" roof planes.

4) Built my Truss Base in the overlap area.

5) Built the new roof trusses.  Used the multiple copy tool and "click and drag" to place the new trusses on the room addition and the overlay area.

6) The overlay trusses were still ever-so-slightly too low, so I raised the Truss Base and forced a truss rebuild on the overlay trusses.

7) Finally, I made a small triangle roof plan to fill the void created by the differing ridge heights.

Yikes!  Should something like this be so complacated?  I never would've thought so.  Downside is I haven't upgraded to X6 yet so I can't open your plan :(

Thanks Mike for taking the time to sort that out!

Sorry, I didn't realize you were using X5.  I can revisit this tonight on X5, but the steps should be the same.  I didn't use any new X6 tools to produce my results.  It should go faster now that I know the process.  Most of the time learning these things is in understanding the order of steps and proper inputs.  I found this as a challenge to help broaden my understanding.  We do some room additions and I wanted to understand this better, so helping you helps me...thanks for that!

HA! glad I could help you out, lol

I know what you mean though, sometimes it's good to get a bump in the road just as a personal test.  Unfortunately I failed this one :)

BTW, you don't have to re-do it in X5, the instructions you left were very good, thx!