Suggestions to Create This Casing

Adam_Gibson

8 minutes ago, Adam_Gibson said:

I have no problem creating custom extrusions, but I'm wondering what the best method would be to create this shape casing for various height windows. I don't think I've run into this before. Any suggestions?

_DSC8179.jpg

You could create a symbol of the sill, casings lintel all together with a center stretch plane in the y- axis, personally I would show a detail of the casing as shown and leave elevations with a square casing with a note pointing to the detail. 

Thanks all. What I was shooting for was if there's a way to simply make casing in that shape, avoiding applying symbols to the windows. Renee, I like your approach. I'll get the exact dimensions for casing and lintel and use your method.  You all are so generous with your time!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Adam_Gibson said:

You all are so generous with your time!

helps me get motivated to start the next project :)

If you're going to make them yourself, you can change the bounding box to be the inside edge minus your reveal on your jamb thickness...that way you can p,ug in exact dimensions and snap to center in x/y on elevation

Yes psolid into shutter. Molding with psolid to symbol for Millwork above casing. Symbols on floor for reference to see origins and stretch planes. Parts used to make em also included. 

Did not try a macro to size width of millwork but doubt that can be done 

1 hour ago, Adam_Gibson said:

Any reason do not just create a custom lintel for the top millwork?

Guess since often when I've had to do odd windows that wouldn't work so I just default to treatment millwork above. I find it a bit easier to control since all I ever have to do is change origin and width, drag new symbol in place to see. I suppose in this case you could make a lintel work. A quickie using the molding I used for the symbol needs help though.

image.thumb.png.81ff182ae94d2979e2ffdeb32e247e1e.png

Thanks again. I used both of your methods with good results. I really appreciate your time and generosity!

The home was built around 1850 as a double. We plan to jack it up and dig a full basement. The historical society will want renderings, so this helped immensely. We can't change the facade at all, other than replacing siding and windows.

_DSC8177.jpg

Untitled 1.jpg

• Upvote 1