Q: (Framing) Is there an easier way to model a pole building than to draw everything as p-line solids?

para-CAD

I found somewhere here where to create things in 3D from scratch that you have to start in elevation mode.  That's what I'm doing with this shop.

I'm trying to take the ENG details and combine with how it will be framed.  I haven't been able to configure CA to do this so I'm stuck with hand making every unique item and replicating/aligning, etc.

Can CA do this in a more similar way that it builds a standard framed house?  I can't have it "close enough" or "almost".  I need complete control over girt spacing, wall alignments in between posts, ledgers etc.

I like how this is looking, but this takes crazy hours and changes are no fun.

2019-08-16 20_46_55-Window.png

2019-08-16 20_46_24-Window.png

2019-08-16 20_46_00-Window.png

Mike:

I'm surprised someone hasn't chimed in yet

this is not my forte so I have no advice

except I have followed this forum daily since 2005 and I have never heard of anyone having to do framing as p-solids

have you watched the training videos and checked the help guide etc 

on how to do framing ?

Lew

Okay.....thanks!  I'll check it out.  I'm betting that creatively is what I am doing. ;)

From the link:

"Chief Architect is designed to allow you to quickly model conventionally framed structures. A pole structure, however, does not fall into the category of conventional framing, so when building a pole barn, we need to use the program's framing and CAD tools creatively."

Mike, having done several of these structures, I'm afraid CA is going to frustrate you on this type of framing. In CA's defense, they could never develop a framing system that would satisfy even the majority of framers. You guys just do it "your way" and move on. I also don't think CA will give you a "cut list" or "cut details" you would be pleased with. Looking at your progress so far on the attached views, I would say you are a probably a perfectionist and maybe a little OCD. :) Please don't take that as an insult or that I am being critical; I am the same way and spend too much time trying to make the model and the framing Perfect. Others, no doubt, may chime in and give you some constructive help; I hope they do. But with these designs, I just resign myself to going the route you are already travelling. I will certainly watch this thread so I can maybe learn something new. I think I may have to raise my rates for these structures!:)

Last one I did was a catering/party structure with a one bedroom apartment upstairs in the rear for the owner when they were onsite. Had commercial restrooms and kitchen facilities...

Hogue front.jpg

Hogue barn great room 1.jpg

Hogue right front.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mike,

Very nice!

Thanks for the input.  (BTW I used to live in Clarksville back during Y2K - 3/5 SFG(A) FTCKY)  That's a great place to live....second only to the pacific coast.  ;)

I've framed over 300 structures in my life and every set of plans from designers or architects were lacking or not accurate and so as the framer I got to "figure it out".  There was however one architect from Louisville, KY who was amazing, Nick Feldman i think his name was.  He drew things as they are in reality.

I told myself that some day I would draw plans that could double as cut-sheets (which is what I did as a framer to catch errors before I found them on the jobsite).  I still have people question why I go to this depth.....uh......because I'm an American and that's how I want to it.  I never want to compete for the cheapest, Wal-mart customer.  I have just enough word of mouth from some great builders and some one-off home owners that I stay busy.  I never do price per SQ/FT because that seems like a lazy way to ball park.

I really like the images that you posted.  I am re-inspired to carry on with what I have.  I can't be on-site with this client so I am trying to provide enough clear 2D and 3D for him to have less questions and more doing.  I've attached some shots of the plan...I take NO credit for the engineering.  The owner's good friend is a PE and hand sketched everything in amazing detail.

Take care and thanks for the comments.

2019-08-17 12_35_27-Window.png

2019-08-17 12_35_46-Window.png

2019-08-17 12_36_07-Window.png

2019-08-17 12_36_24-Window.png

2019-08-17 12_36_51-Window.png

2019-08-17 12_35_09-Window.png

You may be more OCD than me! :) Nice job on the condocs. I was fortunate on the plan I attached. The client was going to use a pre-engineered barn kit with all of the framing members and timber hardware included. I mainly did the overall design by creating and using their components. I created one internal "bent" framed timber truss line from poly solids. I also created all of the timber connectors from poly solids and added them to the truss line. Blocked those to make a "component" of sorts. I then multi-copied that block as needed; that got the main structure. By searching the forum, there are some good discussions on how to arrive at the roof purlins by modifying the roof framing parameters and using the lookouts as the purlins. Get one, move and edit its length to suit, multi-copy to get one side, mirror copy to the other and you have the roof framing structure. Can be done almost as quick as I can type this. You could also create these with PS in elevation and get them that way. Same way with the wall girts.

Side note: were you in the 101st Airborne Screaming Eagles?