Raised planting beds

Evolution

Helping a friend plan a landscape (yard crashing) surprise for his parents 50th anniversary.  The terrain around here is flat, and he wants to build four or five raised areas in their back yard, of elevations varying from 1' above existing grade to 2.5' or so (somewhat undulating) across 1 to 1 1/4 acre area. Pretty elaborate idea with trees, plants, shrubs, (herb garden for her) some sail shades etc. (The area is a nicely developed sub-division with larger homes).  My task is to take his sketch and convert it to a landscape plan with the various (raised) planting beds. He wants to get a couple of local landscape / nursery's to price it. On my Orphanos project I attempted using Psolids, terrain walls, and a building exterior wall type. I won't go into all the issues I've had with all three of the options. Any of the poster's on the forum that have done a few LS's with raised beds of varying heights could you share your ideas of the best approach.  I'll have a couple of areas with serpentine walls, but mostly the tops of the beds are for the most part level (at least that is the plan). They are going out of the country and he wants to get it done while they're away and surprise them! 

19 minutes ago, solver said:

Are you trying for an accurate 3D model?

Seems a 2D plan with notes and a single detail showing a raised bed design would work for bids.

He wanted to develop it with some 3D views, so when he talks to the LS / Nursery, they can visualize areas that will require more top soil hauled in, etc. Plus the option of stepping stone paths etc. Yes a 2D plan would def be easier for me (since I'm inept and CA software,  illiterate). For that purpose he cold just take his sketch and talk them through it, but I think he wants to see his idea too, before they do.

I told him I'm still trying to finish one project (the client keeps changing) and starting to set up a plan template for another) and still do my day-time-full-time not enough hours in the day-job; so I need to keep it simple, but I hate to say no besides we've been friends a LLLLLOOOOON NNNNNGGGGG time!

I would use terrain regions and features for the lower areas and individual raised areas.  I think it will be difficult to see slightly elevated areas in 3D unless you assign different materials to the sloped or raised areas.  Terrain features would allow you to change the materials on the raised areas.  Or you could use beds.

Just now, Evolution said:

He took his sketch to a couple of LS / Nursery's here in the local area, and they gave him some "painful" pricing, and I think he realized he might save money to let them give him some design ideas with budgets. Takes the pressure off me. I was starting with Terrain features, defining several areas of varying elevations but defining them with some type of terrain wall, etc., isn't / wasn't working for me, and as bad as I'd like to help him, I just don't have the time to fiddle around with what type of (tool) to use or work around, to define the perimeter of each, and give me the freedom of setting individual heights and materials he wants.