How to get the real roof dimensions

peterttt

Hello,

I have a plan with very complex roof and metal panel roof. In order to calculate everything accurately I want to see the actual roof plane surface dimensions not the projected dimensions of the poly-line to the plan. I can get the surface area accurately but I want to actual dimensions, since it has many planes with different pitches.

How can I do that?

thanks in advance.

You can get the dimensions of roof plane edges by selecting the roof plane, opening the dbx and looking on the Selected Line panel, noting the Length At Pitch.

Of course, this will not dimension it - it will just supply the dimension.

There may be another way to dimension actual roof plan sizes in X10 and earlier.

There was a tool called Print Model (removed in X11) that would print a .pdf of the unfolded roof planes.

If someone knows a way to convert a .pdf to a cad drawing, you could then import the  cad drawing and add dimensions.

This pic shows the exploded roof .pdf next to the floor plan.

Or, maybe one of the ruby gurus can do it with a macro.

New Image_201.jpg

The old fashioned way is auxiliary views-using 90 degree projection lines from a single edge. These were done using detail from view, pasting extra views in, drawing projection lines after change the plan angle defaults to match the roof pitch in degrees. Planes skewed in two directions can also be done just take more work.

image.thumb.png.6ef5b4db635ab7a0b580a5d39f39245e.png

I went and made a polyline to match, pasted back into plan, converted to p solid, then to symbol, rotated symbol-just to check against the model.

image.thumb.png.9dbaa0df8398a4bdb76fb21663195321.png

Auxil view.plan

Here is another way.

Copy all the roofs and move them off the model so you can work on them.

Select a roof plane.

Convert Selected To Symbol.

Rotate the symbol around it's X axis so that it lies flat.

Generate a new 2D block for it.

Select the cad block in Cad Block Management and Inset into the plan.

Explode the cad block.

You can now dimension the roof plane with it's true dimensions.

You can get what you need by setting an Orthographic Camera to be perpendicular to the roof pitch and then create a cad detail so you have snap points.  It requires the same calculations as Mark's method but will give a complete picture.

15 hours ago, glennw said:

You can get the dimensions of roof plane edges by selecting the roof plane, opening the dbx and looking on the Selected Line panel, noting the Length At Pitch.

Of course, this will not dimension it - it will just supply the dimension.

Glenn,  I am currently working on an X10 plan file and could not figure out what you were describing as X10 reports flat measure.

This is a new feature in X11 ! :)

13 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Glenn,  I am currently working on an X10 plan file and could not figure out what you were describing as X10 reports flat measure.

This is a new feature in X11 ! :)

Dudes, thanks for that valuable tidbit! Very cool. I've been using framing member lengths for a quick rake dimension. -bB