Ridgeline Offset

akabuilder

Ok, here is another roof design on the same plan I posted earlier today. Problem now is my ridge is not following through in a straight line from north to south. I am not understanding why. I made North and South walls Gable (and I put a a break in the middle of the  south wall so Gable would not span the whole width of the house). The builder wants everything 5/12 , and a straight ridge up top - not the funky jog the auto build produced

S.K.Fizette_master_plan_COPY_3_copy.plan

11 hours ago, akabuilder said:

how did you know where to break the wall  to make the gable wider?

Eric's method in the video is really smart and works great.

Another option for establishing a gable on a linear hip-roof wall is the Gable Roof Line tool. 

I don't do videos but if you look it up you'll find information about it, makes the process very fast.

20 minutes ago, solver said:

Thanks Chris. Looks like I need to study that tool some more.

The Gable Line plan seems to generate 2 roof planes where there should only be one. They have the same ridge, and appear to be coplanar, but I cannot get a single roof plane to generate.

ct1.thumb.png.f76d52752d185909f1150c10f231a947.png

Yes, I've often had problems getting auto-build roofs to create this type of plane in one plane. Once I'm ready to turn off auto-build I fix it but it's close enough for a simple polyline union.

When creating this type of roof by breaking the wall like in the OP plan, I have run into issues trying to place a door or window where the break is, so the gable line is a fast way to get the basic design going.