New update: HUGE Edit Area Bug

BenPalmer

Just installed latest patch and just did an 'edit area all floors' and it has a HUGE bug...when it is creating copies of all the openings on the walls it's intersecting.  Can others verify?  Verified this on multiple plans...easily reproducible on my 2 computers.

How do I uninstall the patch to get this working?  Need a fix ASAP...use this tool like crazy when designing.

7 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Just re-use the last Versions' Installer to re-install it ....you may need to uninstall the current version (???), so backup your Chief Data Folder 1st.

M.

Thanks Mick, that sounds a bit risky and messy...have you tried that before?

1 hour ago, BenPalmer said:

Thanks Mick, that sounds a bit risky and messy...have you tried that before?

Not without a Macrium Reflect Full System backup just in case..... :) 

You can actually just rename the Chief Data folder ( while Chief is Closed ) , and reinstall Chief , then delete the new Data Folder when done and rename the old one back to the Original name and all should be well.

As far as I know Chief does not remove the .ini file which is at    C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\Chief Architect Inc

in case you reinstall Chief but you could also make a backup of that folder too just in case.....that's the file that holds your Preferences,

toolbar settings etc , so it is likely a good folder to back up anyway for safekeeping. ( thanks for the reminder - copied to ext. HDD)

as you can see I have played a bit with installations here, the _Clean folders are actually renamed newly installed folders I kept for access to default clean templates etc when needed :

image.thumb.png.879d6202faf110ac0afbb3c310d12f2f.png

I am just not sure if the Installer will allow an overwrite, ( you may get "a newer version is installed" error)  so you may need to uninstall the new version 1st. Of course you need to have saved the Previous Versions' Installer locally as it is not on the Website now.

Mick.

Yeah, I have a copy of the previous installer and daily backups of all Chief files...but reinstall still makes me nervous, previous state seems like a good option as well...hopefully there is a quick fix soon and I can just work on projects that I don't need edit area on until then...thanks for everyone's input.

30 minutes ago, BenPalmer said:

Yeah, I have a copy of the previous installer and daily backups of all Chief files...but reinstall still makes me nervous, previous state seems like a good option as well...hopefully there is a quick fix soon and I can just work on projects that I don't need edit area on until then...thanks for everyone's input.

I agree with you Ben. I get nervous about changing the program. I don't need a messed up program. Too busy. I just won't use that feature which could cause major slow-downs. I like you don't need to use it right now. Hope it's fixed soon...I mean FAST.

4 minutes ago, BenPalmer said:

Thanks for the quick update!

Ben, the update is not automatic correct?  We should get a message telling us we aren't using the most up-to-date version of CA, and not just auto install correct? That's the way past updates have been issued.

9 minutes ago, Evolution said:

Ben, the update is not automatic correct?  We should get a message telling us we aren't using the most up-to-date version of CA, and not just auto install correct? That's the way past updates have been issued.

To clarify, there is not an updated patch yet, I should have worded that as 'thanks for informing us that you are aware and working on it'.

When the update does come out, the fastest way to get it is to go to the help menu and follow the links and download and install (not automatically installed). The software will eventually notify us of an update, but it isn't always right away, so the help menu gets you there faster.

Hopefully they notify us on this thread when it is out so that we get an email notification of such and install it before we are notified.

Hope that helps.

6 hours ago, Evolution said:

Correct....... you need to download any updates and run the installer,they are not automatic, So you won't have this issue if you have not installed the latest patch yet.

Being notified of updates is based on the Update setting in Preferences and as far as I know is checked once a day on opening Chief.

image.thumb.png.b023bf7c2c40852cf3a53e71869cb4f0.png

3 hours ago, Evolution said:

Got the notice yesterday when I opened X11 for the first time, but didn't not update until we hear that it has been fixed

Good call, i think the bug is bad enough that they should pull the update completely until it is fixed.