Manual placement of railing

kwhitt

I've got a front porch (image attached) that was created using a beam at the top with no rails/balusters.  I placed library objects for the columns.  Is there any way to use the straight railing tool to insert manual railing over existing invisible walls without the program making changes to the existing structure?  In the image I can place railing, but it overrides the beam at the top.  Also, I am unable to resize the railing to meet at the column even with the use of the control key.  I would appreciate someone explaining to me how to go about this.  Thanks.

RAILING.jpg

Eric - thanks again for the reply.  Of course I have tried the railing tools as designed.  Remember the staircase you helped me with a couple days ago?  My first attempt was with the built-in tools.  However, when I assigned the doric columns as the newel posts, the railings will only reach to the outside bounding box of the column; therefore, not meeting the cylindrical part of the column which is set back in from the cap and base that define the bounding box.  Would love to use the built-in tools if you can show me a way around this issue.  Thanks again,  Kevin

Eric - I want to get as automated as possible which is my reason for purchasing CA and I rather spend some extra time getting it right if CA is not capable of the task.  Attached is what I get with the railing tool.  As you can see I have 4 extra posts that aren't needed.  I don't see how it's possible to remove the extras without taking all of them out as javatom has suggested.  Also, the stairs are a real mess.  The railing is to the extreme outside for some reason - perhaps because I got rid of the overhang on the treads to make them brick.  I think in this situation, manual is the only possibility unless you have other thoughts.  Thanks for the "no room definition" tip.  I was looking for this function, but didn't know what to call it.  Kevin

columns.jpg

24 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Eric - I want to get as automated as possible which is my reason for purchasing CA and I rather spend some extra time getting it right if CA is not capable of the task.  Attached is what I get with the railing tool.  As you can see I have 4 extra posts that aren't needed.  I don't see how it's possible to remove the extras without taking all of them out as javatom has suggested.  Also, the stairs are a real mess.  The railing is to the extreme outside for some reason - perhaps because I got rid of the overhang on the treads to make them brick.  I think in this situation, manual is the only possibility unless you have other thoughts.  Thanks for the "no room definition" tip.  I was looking for this function, but didn't know what to call it.  Kevin

columns.jpg

No Half post at Wall  in the Railing Wall DBX should eliminate the two 1/2 posts at the Wall either side.

you might want to try the railings as the black railing and place the two Doric Columns manually over the top.

M.

Is it even possible to get railings to connect when transitioning from landing to stairs?  I thought this is what the transition tick was for.  I could have modeled these in far less time than it has taken me to fool around with the stair tool!  In fact, think I'll do that now.

stairs connect.jpg