Angled Retaining Wall Posts

Zoyvod

Hi All

Having to design a retaining wall for my build, engineer requires -6 deg angle to be applied to the posts for the retaining wall. 

Does anyone have a creative way to do this, need a post with a footing on a -6 deg angle.

If the powers that be are reading this why oh why can you not put an angle on framing posts I can think of lots of reasons to want to do this without trying to muck about with the Soffit tool to bodge it.

TIA for any help

10 hours ago, solver said:

Make a symbol?

Do you need a 3D representation, something to show in 2D ???

3D I want to build the wall in 3D place it in the terrain properly like a normal retaining wall, but on a -6 deg angle.

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

Use a polyline solid to model your post, at least if you want it's behavior to remain stable and predictable. It's simple and it keeps you in control! Draw the p-solid in elevation / section view.

Is there a way to angle the polyline solid to -6 deg?

2 hours ago, Zoyvod said:

3D I want to build the wall in 3D place it in the terrain properly like a normal retaining wall, but on a -6 deg angle.

Since you are using X11 how about building the retaining wall and then converting to symbol to rotate.  Just leave the original in place on a layer that you can turn on and off in case you need to edit.

Ok I am almost there. I now have a square post on the right angle (-6 deg) is there a way to now convert that square post into a round post?

Selecting the top of the post in the working plan doesn't allow break line tools to be used once its a polyline solid.

The other thing is I would like to create the post's as individual items in the library as the retaining wall changes heights over its length so being able to individually size the posts to suit the terrain is helpful.

Thanks for the great replies so far :)

8 hours ago, solver said:

You could draw it that way.

Draw CAD line at your angle. Use Make Parallel on the p-solid.

ct1.thumb.png.d49858c2cb89100dd8f45847227102da.png

Yes that works great, is there now a way to turn that square post into a round one?

7 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Since you are using X11 how about building the retaining wall and then converting to symbol to rotate.  Just leave the original in place on a layer that you can turn on and off in case you need to edit.

I would like the posts as individual items that I can resize as required to suit the slope of the terrain.

Looks to me that the base is level ?  You should be able to make the entire straight section into a symbol and rotate it.  The issue  will be at the corner you will likely get a gap that you will need to find a creative solution for or you  could do the entire wall and end up with a clean connection and some distortion at the end. You might be able to do the math and predict what will happen or just give it a try and see.

16 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Looks to me that the base is level ?  You should be able to make the entire straight section into a symbol and rotate it.  The issue  will be at the corner you will likely get a gap that you will need to find a creative solution for or you  could do the entire wall and end up with a clean connection and some distortion at the end. You might be able to do the math and predict what will happen or just give it a try and see.

Yes the base is level I still was hoping to put footings into it and then have the retaining wall as a separate layout for design page. but may have to do it separate.

I will try making the straight section into a symbol and rotating it and see what happens, nothing bad I'm sure. :lol: