No end to my problems. Now CAX11 won't print

Evolution

After a half dozen CAX11 crashes, between Monday and this after noon...….I am very close to recovering everything that keeps disappearing. I'm supposed to print the preliminary (not for construction drawings) for the client. He has an ID that has volunteer their time to provide interior design.  I am trying to print the drawings but all CAX11 will do is just sit and grind, but nothing else.  Cntrl+Alt+Delete open the task manager and it says CAX11 "not responding". I have had to C+A+D three times now just to get out of the program.  Any suggestions? (except for turning things off?) I know there are about 400,000 plus objects although I can't see them all something has to give:( I hate to have to print one sheet at a time, if that will even work?

CAN'F PRINT.png

12 minutes ago, Evolution said:

Any suggestions?

Without a posted plan, my only suggestion is to close everything, restart your computer, then try again. I've experienced similar crashes and a restart certainly has helped in my experience. Also, if it doesn't reduce your quality too much, reduce the DPI to 300. That'll make a huge difference. Also, I'd never use the watermark function. I feel it slows things down. I just place my own as a CAD block or picture or text, on its own layer.

Also, if you have any "live" section or elevation views, that'll slow things down to a crawl. Interestingly enough, on color sections or 3D views, a live view doesn't generate as crisp a line as 'plot lines' but it does at least color inside the lines, whereas 'plot lines with color fill' can have unpredictable coloring results.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Also, if you have any "live" section or elevation views, that'll slow things down to a crawl. Interestingly enough, on color sections or 3D views, a live view doesn't generate as crisp a line as 'plot lines' but it does at least color inside the lines, whereas 'plot lines with color fill' can have unpredictable coloring results.

I'll look into these suggestions for sure.  I guess I need to turn off the love view and give a lower DPI a try!

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

Also, if you have any "live" section or elevation views, that'll slow things down to a crawl. Interestingly enough, on color sections or 3D views, a live view doesn't generate as

In order to turn off live update, I need to go back to the plan, select the view, re-send it to layout, and then turn off live update?  I can't believe it took almost an hour and a half just to print 2 sheets that had full camera views (no PBR turned on) The plan sheets only took a few minutes.  But a couple of the Full cameras view while printing to PDF corrupted and had double lines, double images.  I don't know how to fix something like that

5 minutes ago, Evolution said:

In order to turn off live update, I need to go back to the plan, select the view, re-send it to layout, and then turn off live update?

Bob,

No.

Select the Layout Box and open it's dbx.

Click Plot Lines.

No need to go back to the view or resend to layout.

2 hours ago, Evolution said:

I am trying to print the drawings but all CAX11 will do is just sit and grind, but nothing else.  Cntrl+Alt+Delete open the task manager and it says CAX11 "not responding".

Bob,  The only time that has happened to me is when the scale is set incorrectly and it is trying to print out at larger than actual size.

Not sure anyone has enough ram to do that.

2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Bob,  The only time that has happened to me is when the scale is set incorrectly and it is trying to print out at larger than actual size.

Not sure anyone has enough ram to do that.

By scale you mean 1"=1' print scale? On one of the pages, after about 45 mins a error message popped up something to the effect that certain textures were missing, at the bottom the menu offered to conitue printing, I thought that might be the culprit but even after I checked continue printing it just ground away for about another 30 minutes.  Enough time for me to walk away and cool down before I screamed bloody murder and finished pulling out all my hair.   This didn't start happening until my tables crashed a few times.  Funny thing though each time I reopened CA the message said there was a more up to date file and of course I selected it.  I'm working around the missing things for now, but I don't what I'll do when it comes time to start the code required drawings?  I have doors that show on the floor plan (I've checked my display layers to make sure all are turned on) but when I do a camera view all I have are holes in the walls where the doors are supposed to be.  That's for another thread I guess? The longer I work on this project the worse it gets.  I've met with the client on four occasions, and he looks at the drawings and says they look great. Then before I can get out of his sight he comes up with just one more change.

4 minutes ago, Evolution said:

By scale you mean 1"=1' print scale?

Yes if you are printing from layout ?  Your Page 0 Drawing Sheet Setup should be set to 1" = 1" for Drawing Scale.

Does your home system measure up to your work computer for memory specifications ?

You can always post your file before pulling all of your hair out and possibly someone will recognize the problem and be able to help or at least see if it behaves the same on another known system and installation.

10 hours ago, Evolution said:

By scale you mean 1"=1' print scale? On one of the pages, after about 45 mins a error message popped up something to the effect that certain textures were missing, at the bottom the menu offered to conitue printing, I thought that might be the culprit but even after I checked continue printing it just ground away for about another 30 minutes.  Enough time for me to walk away and cool down before I screamed bloody murder and finished pulling out all my hair.   This didn't start happening until my tables crashed a few times.  Funny thing though each time I reopened CA the message said there was a more up to date file and of course I selected it.  I'm working around the missing things for now, but I don't what I'll do when it comes time to start the code required drawings?  I have doors that show on the floor plan (I've checked my display layers to make sure all are turned on) but when I do a camera view all I have are holes in the walls where the doors are supposed to be.  That's for another thread I guess? The longer I work on this project the worse it gets.  I've met with the client on four occasions, and he looks at the drawings and says they look great. Then before I can get out of his sight he comes up with just one more change.

Bob, if you could post your plan and layout and we'll try to help you sort it out.

11 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Does your home system measure up to your work computer for memory specifications ? 

Chop this problem just started after my Work tablet (Surface pro) crashed, while running CAX11 on Monday. The Home DK is actually a bigger faster machine. I posted another thread about not being able to migrate my Bonus, and Manufacturer Cat's onto that one.

I haven't attempted to print the layout files on the Home machine yet. After about 3 1/2 hours, I was finally able to get Chief to print 12 layout pages before X11 crashed yesterday.  I rushed over to my local computer tech who was able to get the tablet back up and running.

WELL that may have been the cause of the resultant problems (although I can't understand why, I AM NOT TECH SAVVY) I had lost a lot of the work I had done on Monday and not until yesterday did I realize something screwy was going on. i.e. doors and their swings show in the floor plan, but doing a Full camera view, all door locations show up as holes in the walls no doors.  I checked the layers to be sure they were turned on and they were;  still no doors in the openings.

Since I have the most important part of the project (as-built, the demolition plan, new floor plan, RCP, Lighting plan, and Exterior proposed elevations) printed, finally, While he is reviewing them, and I prepare to start the Construction docs, I'm going to delete the current layout files (I think they're screwed up) and just start a new layout. Move everything into a new file folder (to avoid confusion) and move on, and just consider this one unresolved. I don't want to waste any more of my time, or you guy's time trying to help me :)!  May the CA force be with us all!:ph34r:

PS: I'm sure it IS NOT CA it is user error! I give up \0/

12 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

12 hours ago, Evolution said:

By scale you mean 1"=1' print scale?

Yes if you are printing from layout ?  Your Page 0 Drawing Sheet Setup should be set to 1" = 1" for Drawing Scale.

Note, in the Drawing Sheet Setup dbx, that Drawing Scale should be 1"=1" (or, 1=1 any units) NOT 1"=1'.

Also down at the bottom of the Print Layout dbx, check Update Automatically and then in the preview pane you can see what the results will look like before printing.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, glennw said:

Note, in the Drawing Sheet Setup dbx, that Drawing Scale should be 1"=1" (or, 1=1 any units) NOT 1"=1'.

Also down at the bottom of the Print Layout dbx, check Update Automatically and then in the preview pane you can see what the results will look like before printing.

Thanks Glenn. I'm going back to the beginning. Deleting all layout files, starting fresh but first I've got to see how to straighten out my Plan files as somehow they got all screwed up when my Surface pro crashed Monday. I didn't discover the mess until the printing problem yesterday. I'm starting a new thread and posting the last auto-saved plan file that CAX11 saved upon the last crash Monday.

Bob,

Why don't you post the Layout file as well to see if someone can save you a lot of work.

Do a File>Backup Entire Project from a layout and that will include the plan, layout and referenced files. 

I am off to bed now, but will have a look in the morning.

2 hours ago, glennw said:

Bob,

Why don't you post the Layout file as well to see if someone can save you a lot of work.

Do a File>Backup Entire Project from a layout and that will include the plan, layout and referenced files. 

I am off to bed now, but will have a look in the morning.

Glenn, the layout file is screwed up too.  I'm sure it has to be something I did (thought I haven't a clue what) but upon the last crash, when I opened the layout file of course got the message a new file was available selected ok and so on. The printing troubles started there. So I closed plan file, and opened the layout again, double clicked on the page with the as built plan on it, and instead of my last saved plan file opening, the saved as-built plan opened. On sheet A-5 the new floor plan, clicked on that and an old saved option 1 plan opened.:huh: That's why I think I need to start over from scratch 

That happened on several of the layout sheets. I closed the layout several times and reopened and it happened over and over until the Floor plan page, A6 is the correct plan file all the layout files should be associated with. I had to have done something that trigger all this mess...…………..but what in the world it was????:(  It all happened after the last crash on Monday evening, but I didn't catch the changes until yesterday during the printing fiasco. I know CA doesn't do this stuff on it's own?  That's what David Potter always reminds us of:). I'll post the Layout files but I'm sure it won't help and I hate to waste anymore time for you or others that may want to help. So everyone that may look at the layout file knows, I did a complete back up but the message kept opening about missing files etc (probably a hundred or more). I guess it all happened when X11 crashed?? I really haven't a clue.

Orphanos Foundation Renovations Painted Brick option 1 REV 1.layout

[EDIT]….I couldn't resolve the printing issue as long as I continued to try to send views to layout, and then print to the PDF format.  Since CA crashed on my Monday of this week, (first time ever it happened to me) I decided to go back as far as possible without losing all my changes to the plan file.  Deleted the Layout files all-together. Started with a brand new Layout template, made sure (good file management) I saved it in the same project folder and with the same file path .layout. Send a few of the same views previously sent to the old layout template, this time there was only few seconds time between the command, and printing.  I think the crash destroyed / sent some of the textures I had AWOL into the atmosphere. Anyway, I call it done!

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:44 PM, DRAWZILLA said:

did you try to "clear printer info"? It's under file/print. Sometimes it clears things up.

Sorry, Perry, I just saw this.  It was an issue with missing texture files. During the process of waiting for the camera view to develop before the PDF printer and the error message wasn't showing up until I happened to notice the little blinking (literally) icon in the lower task bar. The textures went missing somewhere between the first crash and the last one?

Since going back and fixing as much of the plan as I could, (redrawing what was missing) the print to PDF doesn't take but a few seconds now. I'll remember the suggestion if it happens again. I have no idea what caused X11 to crash my computer like it did, but it lock the machine up. I had to take it to a Comp shop near by and it seems to be fine now. 

Thanks 

• Upvote 1