Q: (Window) How to do a sheetrock return....

para-CAD

On 8/13/2019 at 9:18 PM, Kenoeightspot said:

No casing, frame set to not fit wall an inch or two less

TRIMLESS WINDOW.PNG

This method does work to a Point , however I cannot get the Sill to show properly in 2D Plan view or in a 3D camera as the Sill "shimmers" , z-fighting with the Drywall it appears but perhaps I don't have all the needed Settings ? so I have made a Symbol instead but that maybe not needed ?

image.thumb.png.a24d99936296d1249c84100d8d6841db.pngimage.thumb.png.6ecd47ed6515e5f00b2147c5ea6c0288.png  

19 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I cannot get the Sill to show properly in 2D Plan view or in a 3D camera as the Sill "shimmers" , z-fighting with the Drywall it appears but perhaps I don't have all the needed Settings ? so I have made a Symbol instead but that maybe not needed ?

Hi Mick,  If you have a symbol that works apply it to the window as the Exterior Millwork Below Casing  "Treatment".  Increase the Z offset until the z fighting goes away and I guess until chief catches up draw the sill in with cad or use the 2D cad block from the symbol if that is easier.  If it is just a 1 off no need to worry about applying the symbol or even making a symbol. Just if you want to have a bunch of them or make it your default window.

On 10/8/2019 at 8:30 PM, Chopsaw said:

Hi Mick,  If you have a symbol that works apply it to the window as the Exterior Millwork Below Casing  "Treatment".  Increase the Z offset until the z fighting goes away and I guess until chief catches up draw the sill in with cad or use the 2D cad block from the symbol if that is easier.  If it is just a 1 off no need to worry about applying the symbol or even making a symbol. Just if you want to have a bunch of them or make it your default window.

Hi Chop, sorry missed this post earlier , actually the symbol (millwork) I made doesn't need to use the treatment option from the exterior and is fairly fast to place but still not automatic. I just made it to look like a normal Window Stool available locally with no apron or small molding under it as it not needed due to the Lip on the Stool, and then made a new CAD block for the symbol so it looks right in 2D too. I can post the plan or symbol if you want too look but here are a couple of pics which should give the gist.

image.thumb.png.2cdc6186d9cd085c15331012482de490.png

image.thumb.png.2d5aff89cf275b4d01f590cd1050a90b.png

10 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Hi Chop, sorry missed this post earlier , actually the symbol (millwork) I made doesn't need to use the treatment option from the exterior and is fairly fast to place but still not automatic. I just made it to look like a normal Window Stool available locally with no apron or small molding under it as it not needed due to the Lip on the Stool, and then made a new CAD block for the symbol so it looks right in 2D too. I can post the plan or symbol if you want too look but here are a couple of pics which should give the gist.

Very nice Mick,  That is a simple and elegant solution that will also provide the 2D cad block.  Eric and I were working toward and I believe had successfully found a solution for Mike's original request of having the sill integrated into the window such that it could be used with any stock window and saved as a contractors default.

17 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Very nice Mick,  That is a simple and elegant solution that will also provide the 2D cad block.  Eric and I were working toward and I believe had successfully found a solution for Mike's original request of having the sill integrated into the window such that it could be used with any stock window and saved as a contractors default.

Not sure I wrapped my head around what you and Eric were doing with the Exterior "treatment or why the casing were so wide but I had already made the Sill (stool) Symbol after following a thread earlier this year I think it was , so I didn't put too much time into your method to be honest.

Have a play with this , it will snap to the wall by the window if you let it , I then use the Center Tool to center it on the Window. That's about it if using the default window Bottom Height of 32" as the symbol is set to insert at 32 3/4 to it's top ie sitting on the framing. As noted in the pic above you need to open it for different size windows and set the width as desired and it's height if needed too.

MHD_Window Stool.calibz

M.

You can get close with Chief's Defaults but the z-fighting issue on the Sill makes 3D images look bad from certain angles as CA does not lower the Drywall even if you lower the Rough opening when you change the offset for the Window Frame. The Bigger problem is that CA does not "inset" the Sill in 2D, so the 1x6 is stuck on the wall surface, so Plan views look really bad... and FYI the Casing width controls the apron width even when Interior Casings are turned OFF.

image.thumb.png.c8a4da5dedc70fa50dd065a1a7007d7f.pngimage.thumb.png.5efcef51f6b9d75bd196ebe02874428c.pngimage.thumb.png.68512bf8e7c5099058b8a587e2e78177.png   

• 10 months later...
On 8/16/2019 at 11:10 PM, Chopsaw said:

Convert your p-solid to a milwork symbol and add it to the window using the Treatments - "Exterior Milwork Below Casing" option.

If it is too complicated post your test plan with the window and p-solid  and I will fix it and send it back for you to see.

Chopsaw, what am I missing? It works but how do I get the sill on the inside of the home?

image.thumb.png.b6528c1d44658ae3a7ef26cb5700b2b7.png

35 minutes ago, verticalworks said:

Chopsaw, what am I missing? It works but how do I get the sill on the inside of the home?

It is done using the offset settings of the symbol.  You can edit it in the library and then just keep reapplying it until it is correct.   If you are having issues post a plan file and I will see if I can do a demo for you.

• Like 1