Q: (Window) How to do a sheetrock return....

para-CAD

...with no interior casing or frames and only have a 1x8 ripped sill and skirt?

I'm not having any luck in the manual nor the tutorial PDFs.  A builder likes to minimize the trim work on the windows to just a sill and skirt.  I'm not finding the right options or settings to create this in chief architect X11.

If this requires some polyline solid work around, can the p-line solid be grouped to the window types as a default so I can have this as a builder specific option?

v/r,

perpetual n00b

CA window sill issue.png

Its simpler. No casing, no lintel, no sill. Adjust your frame size to make it smaller than the wall. For a PVC window with a nailfin, I'd use 3" with a -1.5" offset. Experiment and in the window dbx, switch it to plan view, or show it with the wall.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Mike did you give my method a try.  You can make it your default window if you like.

Do you need more info or a sample plan ?  The only issue I am having reproducing your situation is the sill extension and wrap but if it is the same all the time I think I can work it out.  Just need to know the dimensions of the small but no more than 1 1/2" trim pieces.

Window Sill 2.jpg

30 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Mike did you give my method a try.  You can make it your default window if you like.

Do you need more info or a sample plan ?  The only issue I am having reproducing your situation is the sill extension and wrap but if it is the same all the time I think I can work it out.  Just need to know the dimensions of the small but no more than 1 1/2" trim pieces.

Window Sill 2.jpg

If I provide a 3D walk through it has to match reality or I'll create more questions than solutions.  If it's beyond reasonable to have this style as a window option....I'll just set expectations for that when I do a walk through.  This whole 3D modelling preview is not my strong suit.  I like useful and accurate plans that get through permitting and can double as cut sheets if needed.  This pretty stuff seems like more of a sales tool on the front end and require a bit of creativity....I am NOT a creative kind of man. Ha.

Convert your p-solid to a milwork symbol and add it to the window using the Treatments - "Exterior Milwork Below Casing" option.

If it is too complicated post your test plan with the window and p-solid  and I will fix it and send it back for you to see.

1 minute ago, Chopsaw said:

Convert your p-solid to a milwork symbol and add it to the window using the Treatments - "Exterior Milwork Below Casing" option.

If it is too complicated post your test plan with the psolid  and I will fix it and send it back for you to see.

Oooooh!  Now there's an idea!

Thank You!!!!

12 minutes ago, solver said:

With 10" exterior casing

I would highly doubt that a builder that does drywall returns would also use a 10" exterior casing.  However it is still not impossible as you just need a larger "extra bit" so that the Exterior Millwork Extend: setting will still be useful despite it's -1" limitation.

32 minutes ago, solver said:

One thought was to make a symbol like this with ears that would increase the width, but be buried in the wall and would not show. Set a stretch plane in the center. 

That looks good Eric.  Just need to make the "ears" proportionally larger as the exterior trim size increases.  Where did yours fail ?

• 1 month later...

If you're using the 'keep the window smaller' method, does that mess up your sizes on the window schedule? Seems like a workaround that would not be worth it. Besides, if he's doing drywall returns there's no way he's paying you enough for a 3d walkthrough anyway... ;)

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2019 at 12:36 AM, para-CAD said:

...with no interior casing or frames and only have a 1x8 ripped sill and skirt?

I'm not having any luck in the manual nor the tutorial PDFs.  A builder likes to minimize the trim work on the windows to just a sill and skirt.  I'm not finding the right options or settings to create this in chief architect X11.

If this requires some polyline solid work around, can the p-line solid be grouped to the window types as a default so I can have this as a builder specific option?

v/r,

perpetual n00b

CA window sill issue.png

Did you ever get this squared away and figured out. I have about thirty houses I need to construct in CA for interior illustrations for the company I work for and ALL our windows have no casing only a stool with drywall returns to the vinyl windows. The only thing I have figured out was how to turn off the interior casing. The Jambs (top and bottom) are flush with the finished drywall after I do this and I need them to be set back so it looks like the drywall returns. I see no Jamb tabs in the dbx. to make adjustments unless they use a different term for jambs in chief. I need help with this because I do not want to retrofit each window for the next foreseeable future. I'm dreading making p-lines etc. when CA should AGAIN have these basic common options already done in the dbx (My opinion of coarse) If you know how to do this now can you break it down step by step for me please? I would love it, thanks!

2 hours ago, DH7777 said:

I see no Jamb tabs in the dbx.

On Windows it is labelled Frame , on Doors it is called Jamb in CA.

However I am not sure CA can do what you want easily , hence this thread. ( and others)

there maybe a Suggestion about this too in that Forum, encouraging CA to add an easy option for this , so add you vote to it too.

M.

9 hours ago, DH7777 said:

If you know how to do this now can you break it down step by step for me please? I would love it, thanks!

Did you take a look at the plan file that Eric posted ?  He says the symbol he created and used for the window sills is in the plan file.  If he also included the original p-solid you can edit it to suit your needed profile or just create your own by analysing his and taking note of the stretch plane settings and offsets.