Trouble Snapping in Elevation View

kwhitt

I have a wall elevation that I dimensioned using auto-NKBA.  When I try to move the extension lines, they don't snap to anything.  I am in a vector view without any color.  Is there a special view I need in order to move my dimension lines?  I am attempting to move the 94" high dimension line above the crown molding in the attached image - no can do.  I would appreciate any advice on getting these snaps to work.  Also attached is the file.  Thanks.

great room elevation.jpg

CHA_Woodward Great Room_07-29-19.plan

Solver.  Thanks for looking at this.  I am trying to snap to the top of the cabinet crown which should be 99" off the floor.  Why is there no snap in this area?  At least not that I can find.  

27 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

I have a wall elevation that I dimensioned using auto-NKBA.  When I try to move the extension lines, they don't snap to anything.  I am in a vector view without any color.  Is there a special view I need in order to move my dimension lines?  I am attempting to move the 94" high dimension line above the crown molding in the attached image - no can do.  I would appreciate any advice on getting these snaps to work.  Also attached is the file.  Thanks.

great room elevation.jpg

CHA_Woodward Great Room_07-29-19.plan

It works for me...follow theses steps:  

1- Click on the dimension line

2- Grab the diamond on the extension line

3- Move it to where you'd like it to be...it will snap.

2019-08-05_11-28-21.thumb.png.86756d1177ef548e6572c32e3a88bbbf.png  2019-08-05_11-30-57.thumb.png.edffd569929a4a667a54161eb1af5495.png

5 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Also, my far right wall line is not showing up.  Is it really necessary to draw this in with a CAD line?

You could use the section elevation camera...this will show the wall.  You might then want to use a "Cad Mask"...

The green area is only green because I have it selected...it will be the background color (white).  For the dimensions to show through you may have to move the mask back behind the dimension layer.

2019-08-05_11-36-44.thumb.png.32770d124781963b3b9a04c4d008d47a.png  2019-08-05_11-39-24.thumb.png.0d8f7d2e201ed7d87c9c37949f872392.png

Solver/SNestor -  Thanks for the help.  I am able to move the extension gizmo to the top of the crown at times.  At other times, not able to.  BTW - this is the first time I've used dimensions in an elevation view.  I am expecting some type of visual feedback that I'm over the insertion point.  That doesn't appear to happen until you release the mouse button.

Do I need to have the dimension tool enabled or can this be done by pre-selecting with the select object tool?  Like I said, I am getting mixed results.  I am also trying to lower it to the bottom of the cabinet's top rail just a few inches below on the frame (just for practice).  Is this a snappable area?  Are all lines/points supposed to be snappable in a vector view?  Or just cabinet sides and junctures between components?  Thanks again!

Solver - watching your video several times, I see that it's necessary to swipe past the insertion point before the dimension line "jumps" up.  This is taking me some time to get used to.  The video was extremely helpful - thanks again.

I'd still like to know if all segments can be snapped to other than just cabinet components.  For example, I'd like to put a dimension line between the face frame to show the cabinet opening (image attached).  I cannot find a snap here at all.

face frame opening.jpg

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Solver/SNestor -  Thanks for the help.  I am able to move the extension gizmo to the top of the crown at times.  At other times, not able to.  BTW - this is the first time I've used dimensions in an elevation view.  I am expecting some type of visual feedback that I'm over the insertion point.  That doesn't appear to happen until you release the mouse button.

Do I need to have the dimension tool enabled or can this be done by pre-selecting with the select object tool?  Like I said, I am getting mixed results.  I am also trying to lower it to the bottom of the cabinet's top rail just a few inches below on the frame (just for practice).  Is this a snappable area?  Are all lines/points supposed to be snappable in a vector view?  Or just cabinet sides and junctures between components?  Thanks again!

I did a video for you...hope it helps!

Steve - thanks for the amazing video - very helpful!  Is it possible to snap between the face frame of the upper cabinet and produce a dimension line as in the attached image?  Thanks again.  It is very much appreciated.  Kevin

face frame opening.jpg

14 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Steve - thanks for the amazing video - very helpful!  Is it possible to snap between the face frame of the upper cabinet and produce a dimension line as in the attached image?  Thanks again.  It is very much appreciated.  Kevin

face frame opening.jpg

In order to snap a dimension to the face frame you will have to create a "Cad Detail from View"...Go to this new Cad View...and, just click on the two face vertical (or horizontal) face frame lines...hit "CTRL+C"...go back to your elevation view...hit "CTRL+ALT+V... which is "paste and hold position".  Then...click the dimension line above the cabinet and drag the diamond shapes to the face frame...the dimensions will snap to the Cad lines.  

CAD Detail from View is a powerful tool...don't be afraid of using it often.  It just will make life a lot easier...

Thanks Steve.  That's a neat trick.  So the CAD detail view vectorizes the segments?  Still having a bit of trouble with the dimension snapping, but will be practicing tonight.  Thanks again for the help!  Kevin

34 minutes ago, solver said:

and select the two ...

When you click on the cad line (in the cad detail from view)...you are "selecting".  No need for two steps...right?  Well...you do need to "shift" click to get both lines...

I guess I was assuming that the OP new how to select lines...:huh:

On 8/5/2019 at 11:58 AM, kwhitt said:

Thanks Steve.  That's a neat trick.  So the CAD detail view vectorizes the segments?  Still having a bit of trouble with the dimension snapping, but will be practicing tonight.  Thanks again for the help!  Kevin

I'd suggest you don't use a cad detail. Remember that if you adjust those cabinets you'll have to redo the cad detail...not cool. Also, if you adjust your cabinets, in elevation view you may lose your dimension....also not cool. For stability, I'd suggest placing a 'point marker' in you elevation view. It wont leave you in the middle if the night. You can adjust its appearance, layer, and draw order so no one else knows it's there! You might not like cad lines and points, but I don't like weeding for altered or missing dimensions. Point markers and cad lines placed behind your drawing are a great way to add dimensions that don't have to be redone if theres changes. Vertical items like toe kicks, c tops, wall cabinet tops don't get altered often. You can edit cabinets to your hearts content without losing the dimensions!

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

I'd suggest you don't use a cad detail. Remember that if you adjust those cabinets you'll have to redo the cad detail...not cool. Also, if you adjust your cabinets, in elevation view you may lose your dimension....also not cool. For stability, I'd suggest placing a 'point marker' in you elevation view. It wont leave you in the middle if the night. You can adjust its appearance, layer, and draw order so no one else knows it's there! You might not like cad lines and points, but I don't like weeding for altered or missing dimensions. Point markers and cad lines placed behind your drawing are a great way to add dimensions that don't have to be redone if theres changes. Vertical items like toe kicks, c tops, wall cabinet tops don't get altered often. You can edit cabinets to your hearts content without losing the dimensions!

I disagree. Use what Eric and Steve suggest. Dimensions to those things that snaps work for normally and use detail from view, paste and hold position for things you can't snap to. Use a noticeable color for the detail and turn it off when need be, turn it back on to check before final. It can be redone in minutes if need be as long as you have good annosets/layer set/ dimension defaults. Been using that for years now without issue.

IF and when I feel the need to use points they are always intended to be temporary so I use those since they are more noticeable and easier to delete.

There are times in elevation when you can't get a snap to something that should accept one. Best options are move it's view group forward, temporarily move toward the camera, temporarily -copy and delete object blocking it, pull dime, paste and hold position to put the object back.

Day to day dimensions in kitchens I have a group of annosets. Some for plan views some for elevation (wall, base, counter, fixture centers, room). A few weeks ago showed a newer  client who was using points how to use them. He said it saves him hours.