Gable end attic wall need to project over lower wall.

ckirste

I'm working on a project where I was able to get photos of the previous 2003 remodel. I'm trying to model this gable end attic wall that has been built out to project over the lower wall. 

I tried to make the attic wall thicker, and tried to off set it from the wall below, but neither of these worked.

Can anyone suggest where I can find how to do create this attic wall, or suggest a way to do it? I've tried thickening the attic wall, and moving the attic wall so it's offset from the lower wall, but neither of these attempts worked.

I don't need all the built up wall layers, just for it to look correct in an exterior rendering. No exterior work is happening on this elevation.

Thanks,

Cait

DSCF0126.JPG

DSCF0056.JPG

DSCF0171.JPG

DSCF0190.JPG

When I used to frame those for "cheap" builders, siding over brick, we would nail (trying to remember) 2x10 plate to the top of the exterior wall then gable up with 2x4s pushed out to where final sheathing was flush with future brick.  Then we hung the first row of siding down a couple inches to make a brick frieze.  I don't know how to do that in chief, but someone will come along with the skills....like Steve.

Cait, in your 1st picture that also shows the scaffolding, I can see the joists. This means that the attic wall is cantilevered over the lower wall. Easiest way to do this is to create a 2nd floor (defined as attic) so you have room definition and just move the wall out as needed. This will make it work fine in 3D.

4 hours ago, tommy1 said:

Cait, in your 1st picture that also shows the scaffolding, I can see the joists. This means that the attic wall is cantilevered over the lower wall.

I thought so as well until I looked carefully at picture #2.  It must just be a surface mounted facade as I think there is also a ledger board visible in picture #1.

Hi Chopsaw,

Thank you for taking a look at this.

I looked at your images and tried to replicate. When I move the attic wall offset from the lower wall, a second attic wall is created. What am I missing here? When I try to delete the second attic wall, my attic wall floats.

BTW, as you can see there is a second floor over the other wing of the house. Not all floor heights are correct at this point, as I'm working a little blind since I can't get into the house for a few month and am working off photos and partial faded blueprints from 1982 and 2003 remodels.

I believe cladding the stucco wall was change in the field on the remodel. I have some of the sheets from the original drawings and they call out stucco to remain. Only when I got the photos did I see that they framed the attic wall and clad the lower. The same condition exists at the other end of the house at the garage.

-Cait

attic wall.PNG

Lower wall.PNG

2nd Attic wall.PNG

2nd Attic wall deleted.PNG

22 minutes ago, ckirste said:

I looked at your images and tried to replicate. When I move the attic wall offset from the lower wall, a second attic wall is created. What am I missing here? When I try to delete the second attic wall, my attic wall floats.

Yes I messed with that idea for a while and thought I could make it work somehow but it always failed.

The Roof Return is generated by the main floor wall.

The facade wall on the gable end is also a main floor wall that you would likely put on an independent layer and turn off as it makes no sense at all.

Otherwise I would think that you would need a second floor as Tommy suggested earlier but that may cause other issues and my method would avoid those possibilities.

I can post an X10 test plan with the setting if you like or you could post yours ?

Hi Chopsaw,

Using X11. I updated my signature; sorry about that. I had edited "about me" erroneously. Plan attached

I did a combination of your suggestion and ShaneK's. I got close, but the attic wall was too high. So I pulled it down, but I can't get it any closer.  I may fuss with it for a little longer and then call it good, or try Tommy's suggestion. It will look okay in elevation

1078 New.plan

almost there.PNG

almost there pulled down.PNG

Hey Chopsaw,

When I open your plan I see the first 3d rendering image attached. Decided not to mess with it further. I'm not changing much on the exterior, and that exterior elevation is not getting any changes at all, so will leave it as is.

I did adjust a few things, changed the gable fascia and moved the attic wall a little closer to the fascia. But the gap around the attic wall remains; though it looks a little like shadow lines. It is sufficient for my needs at this time.

I appreciate the help, from all who responded.

-Cait

attic wall chopped.PNG

Sufficient Result.PNG

3 minutes ago, ckirste said:

But the gap around the attic wall remains

I did need to adjust the bottom height of the wall for some reason and it will not be at the default height.  You man be able to drag it down carefully in 3D.  Also put it on it's own layer so you can turn it off in plan view if you like.

19 hours ago, ckirste said:

I'm working on a project where I was able to get photos of the previous 2003 remodel. I'm trying to model this gable end attic wall that has been built out to project over the lower wall. 

I tried to make the attic wall thicker, and tried to off set it from the wall below, but neither of these worked.

Can anyone suggest where I can find how to do create this attic wall, or suggest a way to do it? I've tried thickening the attic wall, and moving the attic wall so it's offset from the lower wall, but neither of these attempts worked.

I don't need all the built up wall layers, just for it to look correct in an exterior rendering. No exterior work is happening on this elevation.

Thanks,

Cait

DSCF0126.JPG

DSCF0056.JPG

DSCF0171.JPG

DSCF0190.JPG

Your post got me thinking...so, I did a video.  Maybe it'll help a bit...

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the video. I actually already have a second floor on a different part of the house. So the whole process is far more complicated than I need it to be. I get a reasonable semblance of the attic wall extension when I have Auto-Roof rebuild on.

I also have a custom box window structure under the hip roof that doesn't have a roof extension over it. But in order for the box window roof to not automatically build over the window, I have to leave auto rebuild roofs off, and the attic wall extension doesn't show up when it's off. It's all getting way too complicated with roofs, and attic rooms, and mouldings, etc

I got it looking good enough for my purposes. Mostly I'm focused on the other exterior elevations and the interiors on this project. I've already spent way too much time on trying to get it right, when it isn't that big of an issue for my needs on this project.

I appreciate the effort. It would be nice if this was an easy thing to accomplish with roofs, but clearly it's complicated.

-Cait

6 hours ago, ckirste said:

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the video. I actually already have a second floor on a different part of the house. So the whole process is far more complicated than I need it to be. I get a reasonable semblance of the attic wall extension when I have Auto-Roof rebuild on.

I also have a custom box window structure under the hip roof that doesn't have a roof extension over it. But in order for the box window roof to not automatically build over the window, I have to leave auto rebuild roofs off, and the attic wall extension doesn't show up when it's off. It's all getting way too complicated with roofs, and attic rooms, and mouldings, etc

I got it looking good enough for my purposes. Mostly I'm focused on the other exterior elevations and the interiors on this project. I've already spent way too much time on trying to get it right, when it isn't that big of an issue for my needs on this project.

I appreciate the effort. It would be nice if this was an easy thing to accomplish with roofs, but clearly it's complicated.

-Cait

Yep - sometimes you just have to get things close and move on.  We’ve all been there!