Migrate X11 to my home desk top

Evolution

Show us: C:\ProgramData\Chief Architect Premier X11\Manufacturer Libraries

If your libraries are not there is does not count. I think you pasted your libraries to 

C:\Users\Robert\Documents\Chief Architect Premier X11 Data\

It really needs to be

C:\ProgramData\Chief Architect Premier X11\

On 8/5/2019 at 9:42 PM, Kbird1 said:

Once you have all the folders from your Work PC on your USB Drive, ( and Chief Closed on home PC) you have to copy them to the same location on the Home Desktop PC ie :

C:\ProgramData\Chief Architect Premier X11\

and when it asks if you want to overwrite existing Files say yes......

Then with Chief Opened again goto  >Library >Update Catalogs.

M.

Bob, I feel your pain!  It's not easy to sort out.

The file/folder locations on BOTH PCs MUST BE EXACTLY THE SAME.  It looks like you are pasting all of the folders into your C:Documents/CA etc folder NOT the C:PROGRAMDATA/CA folder.  They are two different folders.

If you have not changed where Chief is locating the folders.  This can be changed in X11 Preferences.  Perhaps you changed folder locations on your laptop???  Eric has a screen shot in post 8.  Open Preference on each computer and make sure all folder locations are the same.  Take a screen shot of each with your phone.

User library goes in the USER folder by default (C:Documents/...).

Manufacturer, Bonus, Reference Files and go inthe C:PROGRAMDATA/Chief Architect X11 folder by default. 

Once you get everything matched up.  Go to Chief and Update Catalogs.

Tech support should be able to walk you through it.

One other suggestion.  Now that Chief allows us to relocate these files on the cloud (Preference settings), it's easier to set up and keep things synced up.  With Chief's standard way to set things up, your User Library won't sync between your two computers.  If you download a catalog, you'll have to add the same library catalogs to each computer.  It might be worth stepping back now and setting up the laptop to store on the cloud (I use OneDrive).  Then point the desktop to the same location and you're done.  No need for copy/paste and constant updates.  I think it's a better solution.  Try this:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03090/moving-library-content-to-the-cloud-or-other-custom-location.html

25 minutes ago, MoeGia said:

Bob, I feel your pain!  It's not easy to sort out.

The file/folder locations on BOTH PCs MUST BE EXACTLY THE SAME.  It looks like you are pasting all of the folders into your C:Documents/CA etc folder NOT the C:PROGRAMDATA/CA folder.  They are two different folders.

If you have not changed where Chief is locating the folders.  This can be changed in X11 Preferences.  Perhaps you changed folder locations on your laptop???  Eric has a screen shot in post 8.  Open Preference on each computer and make sure all folder locations are the same.  Take a screen shot of each with your phone.

User library goes in the USER folder by default (C:Documents/...).

Manufacturer, Bonus, Reference Files and go inthe C:PROGRAMDATA/Chief Architect X11 folder by default. 

Once you get everything matched up.  Go to Chief and Update Catalogs.

Tech support should be able to walk you through it.

One other suggestion.  Now that Chief allows us to relocate these files on the cloud (Preference settings), it's easier to set up and keep things synced up.  With Chief's standard way to set things up, your User Library won't sync between your two computers.  If you download a catalog, you'll have to add the same library catalogs to each computer.  It might be worth stepping back now and setting up the laptop to store on the cloud (I use OneDrive).  Then point the desktop to the same location and you're done.  No need for copy/paste and constant updates.  I think it's a better solution.  Try this:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03090/moving-library-content-to-the-cloud-or-other-custom-location.html

Maureen, as you can tell my technical aptitude is short by a few electronic miles. Learning the software (since I really don't use it to make a living) has been a challenge, but FUN! Now that I'm having to use it more (made the mistake of letting my company know about it, now I'm doing their design build dwgs for the most part, and don't mind) but there are few hours in my day doe the extra work load..…..thus my need to set up my Desk top at home to work off some of the extra load I now have. The technical part of all this is mind-boggling for some one as technical inept as I am! Your suggestion is most helpful and if I can figure it all out will work on doing so. I plan on taking my Office tablet home this week end doing a side by side and check the files and locations and attempting to get them matched up!

Thanks! 

19 minutes ago, solver said:

I wanted to look at your Home PC as like others, I imagine the files are in the wrong spot.

Sorry, Eric I thought you meant my work tablet. I plan on taking it home this week end and doing a side by side and hopefully with fewer distractions, I can figure this out.  Thanks for not losing patience with me. I am really trying to get this down right!

Shoot...……...I forgot I can't have X11 open on two machines at the same time, so I'll have to make a bunch of screen shots of X11 file locations on my work tablet, close that license then open the license on my home desk top so I can continue the fight (what seems to be a battle I'll never win)  to get my CA Libraries loaded on my home machine! And I wonder why the computer at the grocery store, check out, always seem to break down when I'm next in  line to pay?!?!?! \0/ \0/

21 hours ago, solver said:

Show me this on your system.

ct1.thumb.png.329a9444009c457fa3f393141ca16277.png

So Eric I'm home now working on trying to migrate the library. You asked me to show you the manuf data. Did I look in the wrong place on my home desk top? Am I putting them in the wrong folder? I don't know how to figure this out?!?!?

Manufacturer Data.png

Preference desk top.png

12 minutes ago, solver said:

Select 1 or more files in a file explorer window.

Right click and drag to a new destination and release the mouse button.

You will get a context menu where you can choose to Move or Copy.

I opened chief, select Manf Cat and the folder is still empty

MANF LIBRARY.png

CHIEF IS NOT RECOGNIZING MANF LIB 2.png

3 minutes ago, solver said:

Your screen captures are not showing.

Neither is transferring of  the Manufacturer Library to my Desk Top:blink::unsure: I wish they had an emoj for pulling your hair out.  I am about ready  to burn these computers and CAX11 with them..........!!!!!!

CHIEF IS NOT RECOGNIZING MANF LIB 2.png

Files are showing up on the drive.png

9 minutes ago, solver said:

Go to the chief site. Pick a bonus catalog you do not already have, download and install.

Make sure that works.

Check to see that it installed in the same directory as the files you just copied.

So here is what happened (EDIT) I tried another catalog I don't have it worked

Error while updating.png

Bonus cat worked on this one.png

46 minutes ago, solver said:

Looks good to me.

I just downloaded the Woodland catalog and instead of installing it, I unzipped it and copied the .calib file into the manufacturer directory. Opened Chief and it shows in the library browser.

Don't know what else to suggest.

Thanks for sticking it out with me Eric.  I just saved the woodland cat like you said, and when I select it all the items show.  Only thing it appears that I need to do and don't know if it is possible, is see if I can find some of the missing materials and textures I had before the computer crashed Monday.   I guess they're gone forever.  I probably won't need them until I need them.....right?:lol:

In Chief, choose Library , import library, browse to your Manufacturer Libraries folder (where you copied everything to) and select the files it import.

Then update the library.  In Chief, Library, update library catalogs.

4 hours ago, MoeGia said:

In Chief, choose Library , import library, browse to your Manufacturer Libraries folder (where you copied everything to) and select the files it import.

Then update the library.  In Chief, Library, update library catalogs.

Maureen, I have everything now except what  appears to be a hundred or more missing textures in my User library for items I down loaded from DMD site, From 3D Warehouse, and some I created and I haven't a clue (if it is even possible) now; where they have flown to? So I guess If I run into the opportunity, to; I'll have to down load them all over again. I would like to be able though, to upload everything to a cloud server of some sort, so what ever computer I'm on (office or home) I can down load the project I'm working on and have access at the same time to all my libraries wherever I'm working from> right now after all the trouble I've caused myself attempting just to get the Libraries loaded on my home DK, I'm nervous about even attempting another ELECTRONIC MIRACLE...………..:) just not sure the CA Force will be with me????:ph34r: