Migrate X11 to my home desk top

Evolution

I thought I understood how to migrate my Libraries (core, user, bonus catalogues, and manf catalogues to my home DK). I have so much day time interruptions at work (bids, emails, subs calling on projects MY REAL JOB), that the other work (design build ) for my company is falling behind so at least at home I could work two or three hours without them), but after following all the instructions (at least I thought I had) down loading X11 from my digital locker, the waiting almost an hour for the libraries to complete loading, I started to set up the DK and found that only my core catalogues loaded.  I deleted X11 from the DK and did it again, same thing.  I read some threads (especially one that Rene had responded to) and it sounds like I need to copy the files to an external drive from my working machine, then load them onto my desk top.   No more simpler way...…………….correct?  I like simple but computers have been know to break down when I'm around so "TECH-SAVVY" I'm not:(

5 hours ago, solver said:

Thanks Eric.  I had looked at this one too.  It didn't work the first time I tried it. I'm reading it all over again wish there was a do it this way video but I got to get the lazy dial turned off and maybe then I can concentrate on each step? ( I said I'm not tech savvy so when software (which is so much smarter than me) starts asking questions (especially when they are multiple choice), I always seem to check the wrong answer!

12 minutes ago, solver said:

Is your work PC a laptop? If so you should be able to connect it to your home PC and copy the files.

Or copy to a CD/DVD or portable drive. 

Do you use Dropbox or similar service? 

Eric, Work is a surface pro. Home is a Dell Desk TOp. I do use drop box, and thought I had uploaded the libraries there, but when I opened my DK go to drop box (I even sent my self a link) up loaded User library content??? from my Tablet to Drop box,  then used the link to DB from my Desk top, once loaded to DK, I opened my plan I've been working on, pulled some full camera views, no textures showed up, and none of the "user content I had created" for this job was in my library. The only Libraries present were core content!.   Don't have time to pursue it further now, maybe later and I'll try saving it to a thumb drive if I have enough storage space, then I can  insert it in the usb on my DK and go from there hopefully>   I told you, nothing works for me the  way it seems to work (may even intended to work) for you and the other xperts!?!?!

1 hour ago, solver said:

After the files were downloaded from Dropbox, I imagine they need to be moved to the correct directory.

Stopped in for a minute to see if I had been down loading the correct files?  Why cant I open my drop box, I have a folder already created for CA X11 files for migrate, select each of these files up load them, then, go to drop box from my DK, select down load, search for X11 documents and down load them to libraries? Except for one thing, I don't see library anywhere on there?

Migrate files to DK.png

You do not need any xxx_MigrateBackup, may not even need the Archives unless you need some older copies of your plans for recovery 

I suggest You backup:

Documents\Chief Architect Premier X11 Data\Database Libraries\user_library.calib

Documents\Chief Architect Premier X11 Data\Database Libraries\Toolbars\*.*

C:\ProgramData\Chief Architect Premier X11\*.*

You will have a perfect clone

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:32 PM, BrownTiger said:

You do not need any xxx_MigrateBackup, may not even need the Archives unless you need some older copies of your plans for recovery 

I suggest You backup:

Documents\Chief Architect Premier X11 Data\Database Libraries\user_library.calib

Documents\Chief Architect Premier X11 Data\Database Libraries\Toolbars\*.*

You will have a perfect clone

I can't spend all day trying to find the files and back them up. I REALLY am dumb not tech savvy at all and haven't a clue why this is turning into such an ordeal. I am sure I'm making it hard but I can't find any of these files.  I tried searching for preferences as in Eric's last post I'm losing productive time at home not being able to migrate my libraries over to my Desk top!  

Sorry, I was just trying to help.

Your libraries are divided into two: CA libraries and User libraries.

For CA libraries:

Paste the path below as is into a windows search box that says  "Type here to search" at the bottom left corner of your screen and press enter.

C:\ProgramData\Chief Architect Premier X11\

These are non-index locations so windows search somewhat not functional. Copy content of this folder to your USB drive .. it will take some time.

For user libraries: press <windowKey> E, >> Documents >> Chief Architect Premier X11 Data >>Database Libraries

Now copy file: user_library.calib

That is your user library.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BrownTiger said:

For user libraries: press <windowKey> E, >> Documents >> Chief Architect Premier X11 Data >>Database Libraries

Now copy file: user_library.calib

That is your user library.

Brown Tiger, I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to copy and paste my user library, according to your response? Does this look like the correct file to copy?  It doesn't have the .calib extension and if I double click it, it opens CAX11. I'll continue searching for the file. [edit] I opened a blank plan>libraries>user catalog>export and saved it to an external drive. I don't know if this is the right way or not, but If I understand the help file, this should work to get my true user catalog back up made.

Migrate user libary.png

When this kind of stuff happens, I don't know what to do?   This popped up while backing up files to migrate. Im not sure how this will affect the over-all library files or if they're even applicable to my projects? I'm so frustrated with this whole process...……………..I recognize some of the files as those I've downloaded from David Michaels site>symbols. IF these files are saved to my user catalog then why are they missing? I'm trying to do this on my own without wearing you guys out...…..any help appreciated!

Missing files.png

9 minutes ago, solver said:

I believe the user library saves a pointer to the texture image file -- where it's located on the computer (the path), and not the actual image itself.

That last column shows that path.

ct1.thumb.png.34e041889f12c71af3b38fc4c92c4414.png

Those files need to be in the same place on each computer or Chief won't know where to find them.

You might be able to use the Replace File button to fix each one, or use the Add Search Directory button to tell Chief to look in another directory.

Thanks Eric

Well..............bummer..............after tyring ALL DAY LONG (no kidding) I managed to get my User catalog migrated over to my DK at home. BUT! None of my manufacturer or Bonus catalogs did? WHY in the world does this have to be so hard?!?!?!?! I checked and I have all my core library, and when I select my user catalog it opens with some over 400 items in it.  I checked to see if the items I had created were there, and they are! But, when I select Bonus Catalogs, there is no content. Same with Manufacturer Catalogs.  SO how do I back them up?  I did as Brown Tiger suggested..........Copy content of this folder to your USB drive .. it will take some time.

Now copy file: user_library.calib on my office tables, then pasted everything to a thumb drive.  I need to get some work done and all I keep doing is going around in circles!:(:blink:

You needed to copy the entire content of 

not pick and chose even IF it says do NOT copy... and overwrite the destination

When you see all libraries inside of the X11, and everything works

X11 Menu > Library >Update Library Catalogs

27 minutes ago, BrownTiger said:

You needed to copy the entire content of 

Brown Tiger, I didn't pick and choose. I copied the files that Chief Architects Help file said to copy, and it specifically said not to copy program data or don't change_dat. If you look at the folder I saved all the catalogs in you see they are all there. But how do I get them over to my Desk Top. I have the usb drive inserted, but when I select update libraries it doesn't give me the option to select these.:angry:

Libraries I copied.png

Libraries saved to thumb drive.png

6 minutes ago, solver said:

Are you creating a new installation of Chief on your home system, or are you merging data from the work system into the home system

If it's a new install, then you need to copy and overwrite the folders from the backup to the desktop.

Eric, I did an install from my digital locker.

If I copy and paste the folders to the desktop, then what?   I said I'm a technical dumb!  Without the knowledge and experience you guys have, all I know to do is experiment so, I did

a search found data file libraries and am pasting my back files for all the catalogs into it? That's probably the wrong thing to do:blink:

copy paste.png

53 minutes ago, Evolution said:

Brown Tiger, I didn't pick and choose. I copied the files that Chief Architects Help file said to copy, and it specifically said not to copy program data or don't change_dat. If you look at the folder I saved all the catalogs in you see they are all there. But how do I get them over to my Desk Top. I have the usb drive inserted, but when I select update libraries it doesn't give me the option to select these.:angry:

Libraries I copied.png

Once you have all the folders from your Work PC on your USB Drive, ( and Chief Closed on home PC) you have to copy them to the same location on the Home Desktop PC ie :

and when it asks if you want to overwrite existing Files say yes......

Then with Chief Opened again goto  >Library >Update Catalogs.

M.

6 hours ago, BrownTiger said:

It needs to be pasted to

NOT DESKTOP/

It is pasted in C:\ProgramData\Chief Architect Premier X11. But I still can't get them into the soft ware library. What is the secret?????

10 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Once you have all the folders from your Work PC on your USB Drive, ( and Chief Closed on home PC) you have to copy them to the same location on the Home Desktop PC ie :

and when it asks if you want to overwrite existing Files say yes......

Then with Chief Opened again goto  >Library >Update Catalogs.

M.

Mick I'll give it another try when I get back home this evening.  But, that is what I did, I copied the files from my thumb drive, (see my screen shot above) then with CA closed, went to the folder on my C drive, CAX11 libraries, and pasted them in, but I didn't get the message to overwrite existing files?

3 hours ago, solver said:

This shows where Chief expects to find the user library.

ct1.thumb.png.aeee26c63212009d139cf2de21823309.png

And here it is.

ct2.thumb.png.c3fe5b5792ee0df4d26df375824d9474.png

Look on the home machine to find where Chief expects it -- they might be different.

Copy the file to that location.

Here is where I am able to find any place to paste the files,  How do I find what you are showing Eric......SORRY but I am totally numb, dumb and frustrated that I can't do this simple operation.

Library files.jpg

4 hours ago, solver said:

That looks like the correct place. Did you paste them there?

What's not working in Chief?

Eric, I did paste them (not drag). I copied them from my "C" hard drive (didn't drag them in to my back up thumb drive). What's not working is, I have the core library, I now have my User library (lost a lot of textures but I can deal with that), but none of my manufacturer or bonus catalogs are available.  If I open the Library browser I see the title for each, but when I select either, nothing opens no files.

I think I'm pushing the envelope with the most patient of you CA guru's and I'm sure you're as tired of seeing this as I am of typing it over and over, but after removing X11 and all files from my home Desk Top, I've attempted to re-install, and migrate my libraries over.  WELL...……….I think the Electronic Gremlins are  attacking with full force. I know I'm technically illiterate especially when it comes to task like electronic passing of files and folders from one machine to another.....:wacko: So, my office tablet (surface pro 4i7 ) has the standard USB port, so is there some way I can take my tablet home, interconnect it with my Desk Top and transfer the files (I don't want to lose them on my Tablet)  I just somehow got to get them on my Desk top too, so if need be I can work from home.  Please don't assume I'm as smart and savvy as you guys....that's just not the case. So it will have to be step by step....1) do this, 2) do that 3) caution don't do this 4) now open CAX11 at home and go to work?!?!?!?  I'd pay my own airfare out to your locale to dance at your next wedding! May the CA force (be with me this time) :ph34r: Otherwise I have no choice but to give up! \0/

(EDIT) it still is not working.........PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME BEFORE I SHOOT MYSELF!?!?!

Can't migtate libraries.png

Did anyone hear me SSSCCCCRRRRRREEEEEAAAAAMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!:o I have attempted once again to migrate my libraries from my office computer (copied all files to a 512 external hard drive). Got home, started up my Desk top, Did my search for the X11 data file path, opened that folder, Did my search for X11 data, found it C:\Users\Robert\Documents\Chief Architect Premier X11 Data\

Pasted all the files I backed up from my office machine in the data fold libraries.  The folders are there but no prompt asking me about 204458328_Corecatalogshere.thumb.png.2d92ac985864dcaeb8d1e8a8141adaf6.pngreplacing any files????? So I opened a new plan, opened my Library Browser, select the CA core catalogs all the applicable files are there.  Then I selected my User catalog, and all my user files are there; so I select the manufacturer catalog but there are no file or content that appears, and the same for bonus catalogs, nothing............can some one just do a simple video that shows me the steps?   I believe I've done it the way it says to in the help files but I'm not getting any results. All I've accomplished so far is fall further behind on this project.

user library files are here.png

Manufacturer Catalog is not here.dib