Ceiling surfaces missing

LevisL

Alright, this one has me stumped! The room above the stairs (open below) is missing the ceiling surfaces on the sloped sections. They used to be there but now I can't get them back. I'm not sure when they disappeared, but I'm guessing it was either when I raised the roof planes (truss designer required a higher heel), or when I increased the structure thickness (was originally 18", truss designer asked for 21"). Anyway, if I delete one of the half walls around the stairs to get rid of the open below room, 2 of the 3 missing sections automatically re-appear. Can anyone figure out what's causing this all of a sudden? I've never had this happen before. File is attached.

526411715_ProblemCeilingFloorPlan.thumb.png.4ced32b83471862b180117efd0153482.png1553652478_ProblemCeiling.thumb.png.d3c4dc34864790c4cb6c1d6c58c61297.png 

Problem_Ceiling.zip

38 minutes ago, LevisL said:

Alright, this one has me stumped! The room above the stairs (open below) is missing the ceiling surfaces on the sloped sections. They used to be there but now I can't get them back. I'm not sure when they disappeared, but I'm guessing it was either when I raised the roof planes (truss designer required a higher heel), or when I increased the structure thickness (was originally 18", truss designer asked for 21"). Anyway, if I delete one of the half walls around the stairs to get rid of the open below room, 2 of the 3 missing sections automatically re-appear. Can anyone figure out what's causing this all of a sudden? I've never had this happen before. File is attached.

526411715_ProblemCeilingFloorPlan.thumb.png.4ced32b83471862b180117efd0153482.png1553652478_ProblemCeiling.thumb.png.d3c4dc34864790c4cb6c1d6c58c61297.png 

Problem_Ceiling.zip

Open the roof plane that has the missing ceiling, STRUCTURE tab, uncheck "Use Room Ceiling Finish"

image.thumb.png.cce2cccd1dd0bf0ae2091268342a5521.png

• Upvote 2

Great job on the modeling work in Chief!, I looked and looked but did not find a "cause" for the visual anomalies, sorry. If you just want to clean up the unwanted visuals I suggest that you just create polyline solids to fill in the missing ceiling holes, set their material to match the surrounding ceiling and then drive on. That will only take a few minutes, you can set them on a custom layer so they do not show in plan view but only in camera views of your choice.

DJP

@LevisL I've also gotta say great work on that plan! Very nice job.

I did notice one thing: the cement finisher has a built-in excuse for ponding on the concrete floor! (just joking of course). You probably know this but the approx. symbol is (alt247)

≈ FWIW

image.thumb.png.77a4b0cf3e2bb8198e13258a9521ce43.png

5 hours ago, robdyck said:

Open the roof plane that has the missing ceiling, STRUCTURE tab, uncheck "Use Room Ceiling Finish"

image.thumb.png.cce2cccd1dd0bf0ae2091268342a5521.png

Thanks Rob. That worked like a charm! Curious as to why this wasn't a problem before, but at least I can move on and complete these plans now!

And thanks for the compliments guys. Means a lot coming from users like you!

And Rob, yes I know the approx. symbol is ≈ (or ~ as in Chief's rounded dimensions), but I don't think all the subtrades know that, so I use ± instead!!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, LevisL said:

And thanks for the compliments guys. Means a lot coming from users like you!

And Rob, yes I know the approx. symbol is ≈ (or ~ as in Chief's rounded dimensions), but I don't think all the subtrades know that, so I use ± instead!!

I knew you had a reason and that makes complete sense. Hope it didn't come off as critical. I gotta say, one of the reasons I (jokingly) picked up on that is because I've seen far too many floor drains that end up being way too high, often so the cement finisher can use the power trowel right up to it, instead of having to hand trowel around the drain.

Nice looking plan Rob. Just one suggestion. The door swinging over the stairs should be reversed.

R311.7.6 Landings for stairways. There shall be a floor
or landing at the top and bottom of each stairway. . . 

Exception: A floor or landing is not required at the top
of an interior flight of stairs, including stairs in an
enclosed garage, provided that a door does not swing
over the stairs.

10 minutes ago, CharlesVolz said:

Nice looking plan Rob. Just one suggestion. The door swinging over the stairs should be reversed.

R311.7.6 Landings for stairways. There shall be a floor
or landing at the top and bottom of each stairway. . . 

Exception: A floor or landing is not required at the top
of an interior flight of stairs, including stairs in an
enclosed garage, provided that a door does not swing
over the stairs.

Hey Charles, It is a nice looking plan, but it's not mine, It's Levis' (see the OP). And that door you're referring to is a door opening under the stairs, correct?

1 hour ago, SoboHomes said:

Hi All,

I'm hoping to get some help with a similar issue. when I'm in my 3D view my ceiling is only showing the OSB and not showing any of the structure or drywall. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Missing Ceiling.JPG

Missing Ceiling-2.JPG

You need to add a ceiling finish.