Room Painter / Eyedropper

robdyck

Is there a method to 'drop-in' room types? If there is I'm embarrassed I don't know about it! It'd be so quick to drag and drop in the various room types after the walls are laid out instead of double clicking each room to open up the dbx to define it.

2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Use the Match Properties tool and Select All.  Then Apply Properties ( to Rooms )

I was thinking more along the lines of a quicker method to define all the various rooms in a house. Like quickly dragging the "Room Type" from a pallette. If you multiple select, let's say 3 rooms to be bedrooms, you can't choose their Room Type all at once. If the drop down menu could be something like a floating pallette when you need it, you could just grab and drag (at least that's what I'd envision)!

All good ideas! Not quite what I'm looking for. On a slightly different note, here's a similar repetitive task: Resizing the room labels for small rooms. I suppose one could save a blocked room label of different sizes and then drop them in, but that's hardly automation. Powder Rooms, Pantries ,Walk-in Closets etc. I reduce their size on every single plan I do. Am I missing something really simple here? 

11 hours ago, Rpadge said:

I turn off the auto label in the DBX and use 2 different size text macros, one for standard rooms, and a smaller one for closets, pantrys etc.

That's what I was thinking about doing. Do you use rich text or standard text?

And here's a thought: if I need to have room labels in the library, why not have a library of the actual room names, and just skip the room definition? For many house plans, where a client won't be viewing a 3D model, there's not really any reason to define the rooms, is there? Just thinking of saving time on repetitive tasks for builder basic homes.

10 hours ago, robdyck said:

there's not really any reason to define the rooms, is there?

Be aware that different room types have different properties that influence how the model is built.

Another way to do want you want is to have 2 layers for the room names.

Each layer being associated with different By Layer text default heights.

You could then use the Layer Painter to click on the room names and the room label will change size in accordance with the text style associated with that layer.

11 hours ago, glennw said:

Be aware that different room types have different properties that influence how the model is built.

Another way to do want you want is to have 2 layers for the room names.

Each layer being associated with different By Layer text default heights.

You could then use the Layer Painter to click on the room names and the room label will change size in accordance with the text style associated with that layer.

I'm aware. In an earlier post I mentioned that I'd only do this as a time saver for 'builder basic' homes where no one sees the model. Those types of projects I also price at a lower rate for volume builders who aren't interested in any of Chief's bells and whistles. That lower billing rate prompts one to start looking deep for time saving methods. Obviously decks and attached garages would still get their double click, however the rooms within the home don't really affect anything, do they?

6 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

You can use the "Tools -> Space Planning" function. 

The Room Boxes can actually be toggled ON and OFF as you develop your plan.

That doesn't work as a method to define rooms if you already have your layout complete. For simple plans, I rarely turn to the Space Planning function. And resizing the room boxes would negate the efficiency I'm suggesting. 

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that currently, a CAD block of frequently used room labels would be the simplest method to identify spaces for a set of plans as described in the OP.

I may have to add the 'room painter' idea with predefined label characteristics to "Suggestions".

16 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Agreed, but it was designed to be used that way to develop a plan.  Works well if you use it initially.  If you set up a Template Plan using this tool (with your desired room sizes) it will provide the efficiency you want.

Thanks Joe, that's quite logical and would be quite simple to apply to an existing template for a builder's plans where the different layouts may not vary significantly. It's not much different than what I currently have setup with fixtures or cabinets for example, I've just never done that with the room boxes. I'll give it a go and see what I think on the next one!

That being said, do you or others see value in the idea of a 'room painter' or eyedropper type of tool? On a custom home design, if the client asks for major layout changes, wouldn't it then be nice to simply drag in or paint the new room types?