Test Out Your Internet Speed.....

dshall

Bryce: 

Must have a beast near you as well.  Wish I had those speeds here, but don't see that happening any time soon.  Now that the geese are migrating south, I suspect I will have occasional signal disruptions/slow downs.  But I can live with that compared to my previous service option.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really.  The U.S. pays the most and has the slowest internet speeds of just about any other developed nation.  Monopolies anyone?

These aren't really complicated relationships to figure out. In some Countries/Cities the purpose and intent is to provide fast reliable internet connections for the people who live there. In other countries the purpose and intent is to provide internet service at the highest profit margins. Not really that complex.

My cell phone is almost 3 times faster than Time Warner at about the same the rate (PDA.net rules!) , granted I am 'grandfathered' in at an 'unlimited rate' with the cell provider.... I did have to pay full price for my latest cell phone, though....  But I 'burn them' with 40+ GB per month.... So far I can't see 'decrease' in speed due to throttling...  Thanks, Version!

You might not see it now but its coming, they want you off that old plan and will force you to scrap that old plan.

Bryce: 

Must have a beast near you as well.  Wish I had those speeds here, but don't see that happening any time soon.  Now that the geese are migrating south, I suspect I will have occasional signal disruptions/slow downs.  But I can live with that compared to my previous service option.

Well, it's all relative.  The county seat here, San Luis Obispo, is only about 45,000 people.  My little town of Arroyo Grande is about 10 minutes south on the freeway and has about 14,000 people.  Not exactly a major metropolis, but not in the boondocks either.  I think the main thing is just access to the coaxial cable originally put in just for TV.   Many years ago I know they put in a lot of fiber optic cable, but the majority of that still isn't accessible to the "last mile" single end residential user yet.  You can get it in some places in downtown San Luis Obispo but so far I think that is about it.  It will come, though, eventually-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fiber

Yeah, it's pretty nice.  Came here to go to Cal Poly 30 years ago and never left.  Kinda hot today, but mostly not.  My wife has been teaching 3rd grade in Santa Maria for more than 18 years now, so we know it well.  I do quite a bit of work down there too.  A new restaurant I did opened a few months ago, and now working on 15,000 sq.ft trucking business building down there.  But, I prefer to live in Arroyo Grande for sure.  Santa Maria's just gotten too big and flat and sprawled out all over the place.  There is no real downtown anywhere, no real sense of community to me.

Since this thread is already off-topic... My uncle lives in Arroyo Grande and has for fifty years. Last July he celebrated his 100th birthday by going skydiving.

Barton, we never go off topic, please stay on topic. 100 years old? Yeah, a parachute jump is on my bucket list, I hope I do not have to wait until I 100.

It was my uncle's first jump - so was a tandem. My brother also did his first tandem jump with our uncle. This was a 'big deal' for the sky diving company, as one might suspect, especially after someone leaked to the local newspaper that a 100 year old was jumping. The company owner did the honors for my uncle. Both he and my brother's partner were excellent. Landed so softly that they both did it standing up. My brother said the impact was about equivalent to stepping off a 1 foot high wall.

Since this thread is already off-topic... My uncle lives in Arroyo Grande and has for fifty years. Last July he celebrated his 100th birthday by going skydiving.

That is AWESOME.  I want to say I thought I actually saw this on the news or something.  They have biplane rides down in Oceano, about 5 minutes away, that I did for my 40th birthday about 9 years ago.  Loops and rolls over Pismo Beach in the open cockpit.  It was a blast.

Bryce, you may have seen it on TV as there was a short news segment as well as a local newspaper article. My uncle and brother both liked the jump. The only part that somewhat worried my brother was the flight up to 10,000 feet (I think). The plane was jam-packed with people - 10 other jumpers besides the two tandems. I recall he mentioned he was concerned about having a safe exit if there was a problem with the aircraft. I found this sort of amusing coming from a guy with a commercial pilots license, flies a private plane, is building a kit plane, and who flew for four years as a navigator in an F-4 Phantom in the early '70s.

• 2 weeks later...

My most recent internet speed after increasing my cable costs by 5.00/month.

It seems like the download speed went from 3.1 to 7.5 or there abouts,  and the upload speed went from 0.7 to 0.8.  Still no where near what some of you guys have.  

Dawn the internet lady said something about having a router in the system,  which I do,  and this may effect the speed......... OF COURSE I HAVE TO HAVE A ROUTER BECAUSE I NEED A PC TO PRINT MY FLIPPIN PDF"S.

If the only thing I have to complain about is my internet speed,  then life ain't half bad.

post-50-0-68720700-1413477865_thumb.png

I decided to up my internet speed after your thread started.  Started to realize all those little "waiting periods" however slight were adding up quite a bit during the day.  The time I save should easily pay for the extra expense (as long as I use that time to do work).

3836764703.png

Scott:

being in  CA I would think you should be able to get a minimum of 15 mbps download

I pay $99/month for tv/phone/internet bundle

so not sure what my internet alone costs

but for $10 or $20 more per month I could get faster speeds

but I have been very happy with 15 mbps and download super large files often

Lew

My most recent internet speed after increasing my cable costs by 5.00/month.

It seems like the download speed went from 3.1 to 7.5 or there abouts,  and the upload speed went from 0.7 to 0.8.  Still no where near what some of you guys have.  

Dawn the internet lady said something about having a router in the system,  which I do,  and this may effect the speed......... OF COURSE I HAVE TO HAVE A ROUTER BECAUSE I NEED A PC TO PRINT MY FLIPPIN PDF"S.

If the only thing I have to complain about is my internet speed,  then life ain't half bad.

Something is fundamentally wrong.  Do you bundle TV and phone with your internet too?  My tenant next door complained last year about her internet all of a sudden being unbearably slow (when it as just as fast as mine before) and they sent a tech out and he spent a couple of hours here re-pulling cable from the pole and who knows what else.  Then, they tried to tell me it was the cable I had run when I first built the place that ran under the house.  I was really skeptical of this because I KNOW I had done it right and it had been working perfectly for like 10 years and nothing had changed.  So, I went an got 100 ft. of high quality coax cable and just ran it along the ground outside and jumped right from the cable company's box to my tenants (bi-passing "my" part of the cabling) and she still had the problem.  Don't ask me why the first tech they sent didn't do this already.

So, they sent some other tech out the next day and after about an hour he finally figured out it was something in THEIR cable TV box (she has bundled phone and TV too) that was causing the problem and they swapped out their box and it was fixed.

Maybe you've got something like this going on too.

Cox Cable

Yeah,  so what,  what the heck is wrong with my system......  Dawn the Time Warner lady said something about by passing my modem to get better speed.....  I wonder if ....  if.....  if....  I wonder if somehow my decimal point is in the wrong location.....  such a huge disparity between my system and everybody else's.

Scott

Could be a router issue

To check, I'd plug the Ethernet cable directly into the modem (disconnect from the router)

Then check your speed to see if it improves

Thanks  Randy,  I will check it out when I have time.......

Those who are disappointed with your speeds, try zooming in and selecting another server, you may get a better speed than using the server that Ookla automatically assigns.  If not try a few more

Yes, but that won't change your actual speeds, just pings a server closer or further away. "closer = faster / further = slower" That being said, these speed tests are just a close proximity to what you actually "can" get. You ISP will have their node out to the web, generally within 10-20 miles tops from where you live. For the tests, just hit the closest listed ping city.

Lots of things can cause a bottle neck, to include the modem from the cable company, if you have cable. Unless you own your own, and you can if you want, you are renting that from them monthly. If you are supposed to get xx Mb down and xx Mb up, and you are not getting that, take it back and get the newest model. These change all the time and they will not offer it unless you complain.

Next up in the bottle neck might be your router. Unless you are the only 'puter on your local intranet (stuff connected to the net in your house) you will have one of these. Typical might be a D-Link or Sysco wired/wireless usually with about 4 hard wire RJ45 jacks out the back. Fasted these days is the 802.11 N or 802.11 ac. Trust me, these are faster than anything being offered by your cable company, regardless of what you are getting now. If you have an ancient router like 802.11 b for example, time to drop a buck and get a new one.

You can come out of you router to a switch, offered in a variety of jacks from 4-16 and more. Most these days are gigabyte speeds, which is way faster than your ISP is providing and only matter on your intranet (the inter home communication stuff) I, for example, go from my cable modem, to the router, than to a switch. From the switch, I have hard wired CAT 5 to each primary location in house where there is a TV. Behind my main TV, in living room I have 7 devices that connect to the net. So I have a 8 port switch behind there and individually each device is wired to that sub switch.

So, start at the beginning and work your way forward. One way, for those with cable, is to simply plug a computer directly into their modem (similar for FIOS by the way) and do a speed test from there. That eliminates all the other stuff. Then same thing at the router, and so on.

I'd be disappointed in most of the speeds many here are getting but would be thrilled with Ben's speed. I'm about 50-55 down and about 15 up, give or take. Recall, too, depending on how far you are from your node, time of day and day of week can influence your speed. Middle of the day (weekday) is going to be faster than a Friday night when all the kids are home on line and folks are streaming. Might not be a big change, but can be different.