Test Out Your Internet Speed.....

dshall

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just upgraded my HughesNet service to Gen4 and am doing many times better than previously.  Here's my before and after upgrade results:

post-191-0-07968900-1411856590_thumb.jpg          post-191-0-22336600-1411856613_thumb.jpg

Sure would be nice to have Jeff's results ... must be setting right on top of "The Beast"...!!!

I was curious to see what would happen if I skipped my Cisco Linksys EA2700 wireless router and plugged directly into the COX Cable Modem. I was surprised to find there was NO difference. Then I realized that my connection to the router is a direct ethernet cable connection. I'm only using the wireless router as a connection to my printer - the Internet is strictly a direct connection to the COX Modem so that's the limiting factor.

BTW, for you guys that are using HughesNet. I tried that at Big Bear Lake and was immensely disappointed. So I got a Verizon MiFi 4G unit and use it whenever I travel. It's not as good as a Cable Modem but it's so much better than Satellite that it's not funny. If you have cell phone service - even 3G, the Internet speeds are quite good.

I just upgraded my HughesNet service to Gen4 and am doing many times better than previously.  Here's my before and after upgrade results:

Thanks for posting those results Curt. That's just the info

I was looking for when we visited this topic a while back. 

If I have to go satellite (for the dwellings too far from the

road for cable) I could live with 6 Mbps but definitely not

less than 1 Mbps. I'm still bickering with the powers that 

be at Charter to get them to run a couple of hundred feet 

of hardwire to an existing telephone pole on the property

so I can get the same cable modem service which I receive

at the house near the main road. Up front there I am paying

for 30Mbps service so I guess I should be happy pulling

66+ Mbps. :)

post-126-0-94784100-1411862925_thumb.png

I haven't actually looked into my internet speed for sometime. Turns out we're on a 768K plan which they don't even offer anymore, so I guess I'm getting exactly what I'm paying for. I can get up to a 20M plan but it looks like thats as fast of service as our carrier here will provide.

I was pefectly happy with my service before this thread now all the sudden it seems super slow...

Thanks a lot Scott.

Edit: It looks like my subdivision is one of a lucky few that has fiber optic lines buried and so I can get up to 75M internet service. Sounds intriguing but costs like $150 a month vs. I think $45.

I can get up to a 20M plan but it looks like thats as fast of service as our carrier here will provide

Michael:

I've been happy with 15 mbps

downloads of very large files is very fast

never felt a need for more speed

I download large books etc and time is minimal - 500 MB+ files

Lew

I started in 1976 with 110 Baud

then 300 then 1200 then 9600 by late 80's

thought I was cooking back then :)

dial-up was and still is dog slow but it was all we had back then

I've never had fiber optics available

came to my street in VA (outside DC) just as I was moving back to Buffalo

not here and probably be a long time coming yet

Lew

I haven't actually looked into my internet speed for sometime. Turns out we're on a 768K plan which they don't even offer anymore, so I guess I'm getting exactly what I'm paying for. I can get up to a 20M plan but it looks like thats as fast of service as our carrier here will provide.

I was pefectly happy with my service before this thread now all the sudden it seems super slow...

Thanks a lot Scott.

Edit: It looks like my subdivision is one of a lucky few that has fiber optic lines buried and so I can get up to 75M internet service. Sounds intriguing but costs like $150 a month vs. I think $45.

Nuts Michael,  don't blame me,  it was  Dawn "the internet ladiy's" fault,  I was relatively happy too,  and now when I see that everybody in the world,  even CJSpud who lives in the middle of nowhere,  has better numbers than me,  I am kind of ticked off.

Well,  everybody has better numbers than me except for you......  

You know, I think the cable and phone co's try to keep everyone at a low rate unless you know better and complain. Look what happened to Netflix, they lowered their streaming rate and everyone went nuts, so now Netflix has to pay a higher amount for better streaming or downloading. Too many people at high mbps rates will clog the system so if your a tech wennie , you will be put at the lowest speed unless you pay for faster.

Waasup D. Scott? No update? Are you going to leave us all hanging?

How did the call to the cable company go? Is Dawn sleeping with the

fishes? Let me guess, to make up for it they gave you a dedicated

fiber optic line run on a six inch diameter cable. Now when you hit the 

download button all of Southern California temporarily drops off the grid.

Just wondering.... B)

Sure would be nice to have Jeff's results ... must be setting right on top of "The Beast"...!!!

Not really.  The U.S. pays the most and has the slowest internet speeds of just about any other developed nation.  Monopolies anyone?

http://mashable.com/2010/01/16/united-states-internet-speed/

Here are my results (Charter Cable)-

post-67-0-87620300-1412183754_thumb.jpg

Not really. The U.S. pays the most and has the slowest internet speeds of just about any other developed nation. Monopolies anyone?

That's a pretty incomplete story and a bit deceiving. Actually The United States is barely outside the top 10 and two MAJOR

factors that aren't mentioned...

1. Population density...The simple infrastructure required to supply high speed internet access to our relatively low population density and sprawling land mass is huge. I didn't look at all of them, but I would venture to guess most if not all those countries higher than us on the list have much higher population densities and the population is much more concentrated within those countries, therefore they need less infrastructure which makes it cheaper and therefore more affordable.

2. I think you will find several of the countries higher on the list also have somewhat if not entirely nationalized broadband service (at least heavily subsidized and mandated) which would make the true cost highly questionable at best.

Yes, this is a common counter-criticism, but it's also true if you compare major city to major city.  It really is mostly about private monopolies.  In most major cities, there is only one provider (cable) that provides the fastest speeds without the major outlay of fiber optics or other technologies.

Yes, they are likely subsidized in other countries, but that's part of why ours is slower.  We are lagging behind in all kinds of other infrastructure as well.

This isn't some fringe theory, it's pretty well documented, and fairly common knowledge.

http://advanced-television.com/2012/07/23/us-internet-slowest-most-expensive/

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/america-land-of-the-slow/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

http://theweek.com/article/index/257404/why-is-american-internet-so-slow