Test Out Your Internet Speed.....

dshall

I was talking with someone last night about my internet speed and she suggested I go to      speedtest.net    run the test three times and find out what my download speed is.

I ran the test three times and I came up with a number of 5.32.  Do you guys think that is fast or slow,  I do not know.  P.,  was is your download speed using DSL?

Last night she said I probably have a 3,  she said I probably want a 7,  I have a 5.3.......... any thoughts on this?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not unhappy with my internet speed, however my number was about .78 (less than 1) for both download and upload speeds.  I know Alaska has the slowest internet speeds in the country on average.

Holy Kamoly Michael,  are you guys using metric units or are you still waiting for something to download from last week?

Holy Kamoly Michael,  are you guys using metric units or are you still waiting for something to download from last week?

The number looks slow, but it really doesn't seem all that slow.  I also don't download a lot of videos though and any other downloads I have to do I just let run in the background while I'm doing other work. 

To compare something we all have experience with...it takes I think 20-30 minutes for me to download Chief updates.  Thats probably the most notable thing I ever really download very often  though.  Most documents take several seconds with some large PDF files taking maybe up to a minute.  Some larger Chief libraries may take up to 5 minutes.

To date I've never really cared and the DSL plan we have is the slowest they offer.  Its really just been a money saving thing.  I guess I always have enough work to do that it doesn't bother me too much to wait a bit. 

That being said...that grass over there is definitley looking pretty green.  Seriously though...ours is starting to turn and we're waking up to frozen water puddles in the mornings.

They're not so hot...check these babies out...

3792026909.png

Yeah Michael,  you are out in the hinterlands.  BTW,  how is the Salmon this year,  I won't forget the Salmon you dropped by my office several years ago,  good stuff,  thanks again.

Scott, you have a problem, I have never seen Cable at your speeds, You need help b/c your paying for the highest speeds

Yep,  I just emailed my personal Time Warner Internet Contact......  Dawn.......  I sent her my speeds and I said that we need to talk on Monday or someone will be swimming with the fishes on Tuesday.

Yeah Michael,  you are out in the hinterlands.  BTW,  how is the Salmon this year,  I won't forget the Salmon you dropped by my office several years ago,  good stuff,  thanks again.

You're more than welcome sir.  I'll try to bring more next time we head that way.  My wife makes some killer smoked salmon.

And salmon is ALWAYS good Scott as long is its there and you catch it before it starts to turn.  My in-laws had a pretty slow commercial fishing season, but us...we did better.  The Dept. of Fish and Game will occasionally open up a creek about 5 minutes from our home for subsistence dipnetting.  Its right on the ocean in about 40 feet of glacial silt and clay and the tide rises and falls about 20 ft. or so  We ended up catching I think 40 fish.  It was a wonderful, disgusting, muddy good time : )

........ The Dept. of Fish and Game will occasionally open up a creek about 5 minutes from our home for subsistence dipnetting.  Its right on the ocean in about 40 feet of glacial silt and clay and the tide rises and falls about 20 ft. or so  We ended up catching I think 40 fish.  ..........

Wow,  that sounds so awesome.....  Lynn and I love your state,  we are going back in 2017.......  it's a cruise.......  what city are you in.......  if we meet up I could bring you some genuine San Diego Sand from the beach........  you can't eat it.......  and it's usually from a polluted beach.....  but it is genuine San  Diego Sand.

Wow,  that sounds so awesome.....  Lynn and I love your state,  we are going back in 2017.......  it's a cruise.......  what city are you in.......  if we meet up I could bring you some genuine San Diego Sand from the beach........  you can't eat it.......  and it's usually from a polluted beach.....  but it is genuine San  Diego Sand.

Man...that sounds AWESOME!  I would love some sand from sunny San Diego : )

We're in Wasilla...about an hour to an hour and a half from Anchorage.  I work almost exclusively in Anchorage.

Nuts,  you ain't far removed from the hinterlands too,  I am in the 8th largest city in the USofA and I am getting ripped off......  I am telling you.....  things will change on Monday or ..  or.... or....  or something will happen.

Yeah that's some slow speeds Scott. I'd kill puppies if my internet were any slower.

I am located in the Netherlands (a small country in a swamp) Just got fiber, I get 80mbs/ 80 mbs , as advertised, when connecting to servers in Amsterdam.

speedtestlocal.jpg

I also tested servers in London, Moscow, and some place called "New york city", I got similarly good results although the pings went way up, the futher away I went.

some servers give disappointing results a connection in Japan tested at 11down / 12 up, with a 296 ms ping!