SINK WON'T DELETE

smpatten

You have found the Chief Architect forum. Home Designer have their own site specific to HD products. Of course checking this forum will help with many of the questions you may have. https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/  You might try selecting the wall, then hit the tab key and tab through the items until the sink opens.  Of course, you should be able to hit undo. (PS: check your layer display to make sure you don't have interior fixtures layers locked.) 

In Architectural your main choice is the use of a tool called "Edit Area" found under the drop-down menu called "Edit". What I would recommend is to temporarily remove the wall and window by the unwanted sink and then use the "Edit Area" tool to remove the sink. You "Left-Click" on the "Edit Area" tool to activate it and then left-click-drag a "Marquee" around the object or objects you wish to delete using the "Edit Area" tool and then once selected you hit your "Delete" key which should then remove the unwanted, arrant object. Then draw back your wall and window after the sink is removed.

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/videos/watch/2511/using-the-edit-area-and-stretch-cad-tools.html?playlist=200

DJP

• 4 months later...

Same issue here with 2017 PRO version which I have used extensively since 2016.  Never encountered an issue like this before.  I selected and moved a kitchen sink from a cabinet to a neutral area outside the rear of the house for possible use later.  When I went back to retrieve it, I couldn't even select it let alone move it or delete it.  Going back to "Undo" was not practical because I did extensive plan editing (saving revisions frequently) since moving the sink.  Using that "edit area" trick suggested by DJP was of no help either.  So finally, I just put a white box around so that it wasn't visible in plan view.  An unartful workaround at best but I saw no other choice.  But the problem came back to haunt when sending the rear elevation to a layout:  there's that sink in the middle of the rear wall and so now what?  I fiddled with another box and the eyedropper tool to match the surrounding exterior siding -- to make the sink invisible again. Another unartful workaround but again: no choice. But what happened when printing a hard copy?:  the box appeared in the middle of the wall as a dark splotch.  This is probably a rare issue but what other issues like this are lurking in this software?      

Same issue here with 2017 PRO version which I have used extensively since 2016.  Never encountered an issue like this before.  I selected and moved a kitchen sink from a cabinet to a neutral area outside the rear of the house for possible use later.  When I went back to retrieve it, I couldn't even select it let alone move it or delete it.  Going back to "Undo" was not practical because I did extensive plan editing (saving revisions frequently) since moving the sink.  Using that "edit area" trick suggested by DJP was of no help either.  So finally, I just put a white box around so that it wasn't visible in plan view.  An unartful workaround at best but I saw no other choice.  But the problem came back to haunt when sending the rear elevation to a layout:  there's that sink in the middle of the rear wall and so now what?  I fiddled with another box and the eyedropper tool to match the surrounding exterior siding -- to make the sink invisible again. Another unartful workaround but again: no choice. But what happened when printing a hard copy?:  the box appeared in the middle of the wall as a dark splotch.  This is probably a rare issue but what other issues like this are lurking in this software?   

Oh for gawdssakes.  That worked, Glenn, after I found the cabinet I took it out of by trial and error.  Thank you.  Sink is still connected to a specific cabinet even though it's been moved into the back yard.  Nonsense in my opinion.  I hate it when the software is so smart it's dumb.  But thanks again nonetheless.    

Oh for gawdssakes.  That worked, Glenn, after I found the cabinet I took it out of by trial and error.  Thank you.  Sink is still connected to a specific cabinet even though it's been moved into the back yard.  Nonsense in my opinion.  I hate it when the software is so smart it's dumb.  But thanks again nonetheless. 

• 1 year later...

Help!!! I have never encountered this problem as well! Have been using Chief for over 2 years and never had this problem. I moved a sink manually from wall cabinets to an island - then I went to adjust and move the island - the SINK won't move. I can't select it, tab down to it, nothing - it's sitting right there in the wrong place now and putting a box around it is not going to work as it needs to be in the island very close to where it is stuck....Also tried edit area to no avail. Also saved and closed the program, came back in - nope. Any other ideas? Please help;/

When you insert a sink into a cabinet, the sink stays connected to the cabinet - even if you drag the sink away from the cabinet.

Once the sink is dragged away from the cabinet, you can select the cabinet (by clicking on the cabinet or the sink) and then hit Tab to select the sink to delete (and leave the cabinet).

It sounds like you may have deleted the cabinet and the sink?

• Upvote 1

Yes, glennw, that is what happened. I did not realize the sink and cabinet stayed connected; I do now!:) . But, I could not click on the sink at all. It was stuck and I was not able to select it. I discovered they were connected when I clicked on the cabinet in the 3D and the sink was highlighted as well. I just deleted both and started over.

19 hours ago, LKDesign said:

But, I could not click on the sink at all. It was stuck and I was not able to select it.

Glenn is right ,you should be able to select the Sink in Plan View by selecting the Cabinet and then hitting the TAB Key (or the Next icon) and then deleting the Sink if needed too.

M.

image.thumb.png.cef43177438a76a54ddaf6ec03a866b8.png

Yes. I am aware of that, and use that option quite often; but in this particular case that was not working. Tabbing down did not select the sink. In the 3D window I selected the cabinet I took the sink from and deleted that cabinet. That got rid of the sink. The sink and cabinet were still connected even though I dragged the sink to another cabinet. That was the problem. In the future I won’t drag a sink into another cabinet. 

Just now, LKDesign said:

Yes. I am aware of that, and use that option quite often; but in this particular case that was not working. Tabbing down did not select the sink. In the 3D window I selected the cabinet I took the sink from and deleted that cabinet. That got rid of the sink. The sink and cabinet were still connected even though I dragged the sink to another cabinet. That was the problem. In the future I won’t drag a sink into another cabinet. 

Okay , from your last post I thought you had missed that part of Glenn's comment but it sounds it like something else was up too since it didn't work.

M.

2 hours ago, LKDesign said:

FYI...Just a few days ago I did the same exact thing and then later realized it maintained being joined to the original cabinet.  So I then made a 'Suggestion' that we could move items that associate with cabinets like that to a different cabinet so we wouldn't have to re-find them in the library to attach to a new cabinet.  Michael (Alaskan) quickly responded, alerting me to the 'Find in Library' tool, so I deleted the suggestion.  If you're not familiar with it... if you select the cabinet the tool will be available and clicking it will enable you to select any number of items associated with the cabinet... check the sink (or whatever else) and it'll pop up in the library making it fast to drop one into a new cabinet.  Dragging would be faster, but not a lot.