Screens in shaped windows

Tdgdesign

I have been searching this forum to no avail - how do I get screens to show in Line drawing mode on shaped windows? I have the window material set to screen but it doesn't look right so I mess with the grille arrangements in the windows. This works great for anything that is not a shaped window.... 

no screens.jpg

screens.jpg

19 minutes ago, Tdgdesign said:

Is that a custom material? My library doesn't have it and if I choose wire mesh it behaves the same as the screen material - IE disappears in line drawings...

Yes wire mesh will not work.  Square mesh is part of the "Wire and Lattice Materials" Bonus Catalog.

41 minutes ago, Tdgdesign said:

I was able to get it to work by using wire mesh, then editing the material so it was set to Tile, then played around with the spacing a bit. Looks good enough for now. Thanks everybody! 

Interesting idea and you could actually set your glass material to display that way and not have any effect on your standard view.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2019 at 7:07 PM, Tdgdesign said:

I have been searching this forum to no avail - how do I get screens to show in Line drawing mode on shaped windows? I have the window material set to screen but it doesn't look right so I mess with the grille arrangements in the windows. This works great for anything that is not a shaped window.... 

no screens.jpg

screens.jpg

Is this what your are trying to accomplish?  Screens in the "shaped" windows.  See example attached.

2019-08-09_20-37-00.thumb.png.91951b3c9c53471b92701285a04514e6.png

If so...take a close up back clipped section elevation view...send that to a "Cad Detail from View"....change/lock all the layers sent to that view.  Then...use polylines and trace the window opening...copy this polyline and use paste/hold position and paste it into your elevation view.  Then...convert the polyline into a p-solid, make it about 1/8" thick or so - then paint this solid with a "screen material".  

You can also copy the window in place, and adjust all of it's settings separately. Windows and doors can occupy the same space at the same time. Separate layer control, schedule control etc. Also handy for creating accurate casing details around entry doors mulled with transom windows. Another example would be getting glass railing to display accurately across separate view styles. In a vector view elevation, I don't like glass railing blocking the view of the wall behind, so I always create the glass on a separate layer which is turned off for vector views, but on for most other renderings.

image.thumb.png.d9d38d41a8c9f25d2f8db7286a2ba34b.png

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, robdyck said:

You can also copy the window in place, and adjust all of it's settings separately. Windows and doors can occupy the same space at the same time. Separate layer control, schedule control etc. Also handy for creating accurate casing details around entry doors mulled with transom windows. Another example would be getting glass railing to display accurately across separate view styles. In a vector view elevation, I don't like glass railing blocking the view of the wall behind, so I always create the glass on a separate layer which is turned off for vector views, but on for most other renderings.

image.thumb.png.d9d38d41a8c9f25d2f8db7286a2ba34b.png

Great info!  Thanks!