creating deck newel posts manually

mikes616

Is there an easy way to create deck newel posts manually?  It seems like you can only modify spacing, size and what is available in the library- all automatically.  If I want a different newel spacing, or a different newel design what can I do?  The  deck is roofed over.  Chief 11 user.  Thanks.

Mark

1 hour ago, mikes616 said:

Is there an easy way to create deck newel posts manually?  It seems like you can only modify spacing, size and what is available in the library- all automatically.  If I want a different newel spacing, or a different newel design what can I do?  The  deck is roofed over.  Chief 11 user.  Thanks.

Mark

I’ve got a few deck videos on my YouTube page you might find interesting...

2 hours ago, mikes616 said:

Mark

Every time I think about doing railings auto,  I feel I do not have enough control.  So I use individual. newel posts and a molding pline for the railing.

I find it easier,  quicker and I have more control.

I put a quick plan together you can look at..,.

90518493_ScreenShot2019-07-25at9_41_05AM.thumb.png.658cf1ca364df0a0101af2203fe16945.pngUntitled 6 railing 6.planUntitled 6 railing 6.plan

• Upvote 2

Scott,

Just need to clarify...do you place your newels yourself per your dimensions and then add your railings between them?  It appears that your railings go through the newels and posts.  Is that correct?  Also, how do you make the space identify as a "room"?  Thanks.

Mark

7 hours ago, dshall said:

Every time I think about doing railings auto,  I feel I do not have enough control.  So I use individual. newel posts and a molding pline for the railing.

I find it easier,  quicker and I have more control.

I put a quick plan together you can look at..,.

90518493_ScreenShot2019-07-25at9_41_05AM.thumb.png.658cf1ca364df0a0101af2203fe16945.pngUntitled 6 railing 6.planUntitled 6 railing 6.plan

Scott...love this molding idea for the pickets.  

I would make one modification to the picket symbol...I'd make the top piece something like 1/4" or 1/2" thick x 2" wide (or same width as picket)...then, you can bury this "connector" piece of the symbol in the bottom surface of the top rail.  Then...in Vector View you won't see the molding repeat lines.  Just an option to an otherwise fantastic idea for railings.  

2019-07-25_20-10-40.thumb.png.4faf65d2fa00e94fd2046f05820e8445.png  2019-07-25_20-10-16.thumb.png.30287608291f53ce5e37a9c04f3441b1.png

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SNestor said:

Scott...love this molding idea for the pickets.  

I would make one modification to the picket symbol...I'd make the top piece something like 1/4" or 1/2" thick x 2" wide (or same width as picket)...then, you can bury this "connector" piece of the symbol in the bottom surface of the top rail.  Then...in Vector View you won't see the molding repeat lines.  Just an option to an otherwise fantastic idea for railings.  

2019-07-25_20-10-40.thumb.png.4faf65d2fa00e94fd2046f05820e8445.png  2019-07-25_20-10-16.thumb.png.30287608291f53ce5e37a9c04f3441b1.png

I usually do bury it,  this was down and dirty.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, mikes616 said:

Scott,

Just need to clarify...do you place your newels yourself per your dimensions and then add your railings between them?  It appears that your railings go through the newels and posts.  Is that correct?  Also, how do you make the space identify as a "room"?  Thanks.

Mark

I place jewels,  railing is continuous,  invisible walls to define room.

• Upvote 1

If I'm understanding Scott right, I think I work similar to him. Most of the time, I also place my columns manually. This makes it easier for me to dimension beam spans for the engineer. I've been doing it like this for so many years that it really doesn't take long to do it.