Dimensioning framing in elevation?

Larry_Sweeney

Once in a while I'll open and elevation view and turn on the "3D Framing Set" layer set to view the framing of walls all at one time rather than look at each wall's framing detail individually.   What frustrates me is that no matter how I set up my dimensioning I can't get it to snap to any framing. It's not that I may want to make changes in this view (though I 'think" I can), it's just that I may just want to measure something. Can anyone tell be why I can't dimension the framing in this view? If I can highlight it and move it than I should be able to dimension it. This is VERY frustrating that you can't do this. Please tell me that I'm the one causing this frustration and not CA.

Joe.......Two things---1. When I do an elevations, go to my "Framing Set" layer set, in which my "wall layer" is already off, I can't see the studs. I must use the delete surface tool to get down to my studs. 2. I still am unable to dimension my studs. Did you miss something in what I should do or did I miss something in what you told me to do?

Larry

When in the Section Elevation you want to detail.  Turn on the Framiing Wall Layer, or whatever layer you may have placed the framing on.  Make sure the wall surfaces are not displaying, as dicussed above.

Set up an Annotation Set for the type of view you are working with.  Important if you intend to use Auto Dimensioning.  In the Annotation Set edit the Dimension Default's Locate Objects section, and make the settings you want active for dimensioning in the Framing catagory. Or, whatever method you choose, you need to make sure the Framing is set to be dimensioned.  Annotation Sets are just one way ot doing it.

Note:  in X6, Annotation Sets are view specific, and there are connections between the Auto Dimension tool defaults and the view defaults.  There is kind of a wierd science going on between Dimension Defaults and Auto Dimensioning Defaults.

More too much information, but I hope it helps.