Layout wall display pony wall

GeneDavis

Level 0 is the walkout basement, with a slab floor inside concrete stemwalls.  The walkout walls are done as pony walls, wood-framed atop the slab elevation, frost-wall stemwalls below.

To show the floor plan in layout I set the pony wall exterior walls to display upper framed walls.

To show foundation plan, I set those walls to display the lower concrete walls.

The problem is layout.  How do I get the pony walls showing upper in the floor plan, and lower in the foundation plan?

Is the workaround making a copy of the plan to use just for that foundation plan?

12 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

The problem is layout.  How do I get the pony walls showing upper in the floor plan, and lower in the foundation plan?

Is the workaround making a copy of the plan to use just for that foundation plan?

I think this is a little known secret that has been discussed recently.  

THE PROGRAM REMEMBERS WHAT THE WALLS LOOK LIKE WHEN ININTIALLY SENT TO LAYOUT.

So,  Send the foundation to layout showing the lower walls and then send the floor plan showing the upper wall.  The view of those walls will not change....  give it a try.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dshall said:

THE PROGRAM REMEMBERS WHAT THE WALLS LOOK LIKE WHEN INITIALLY SENT TO LAYOUT.

I think that may only be true if you use the "Copy Layer Set" option when sending to Layout.  OTOH, a Saved Plan View will do it automatically.

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I think that may only be true if you use the "Copy Layer Set" option when sending to Layout.  OTOH, a Saved Plan View will do it automatically.

Nope.....  again I do not know what I am talking about.  I thought we discussed this a while back.

Want to see the upper wall of pony wall in view #1 in layout

and then

I want to see the lower wall of pony wall in view #2 in layout.

I just tried it and I could not do it.  I was using 2 different layer sets and 2 different plan view sets.

Can anybody do this?

• Upvote 1

Michael has the right answer but just to add a little more clarity, the Default Settings for Pony Walls can be set differently for different Saved Plan Views, and Chief will respect the different settings as you go from SPV to SPV... IF, as Michael said, the "Display in Plan View" for the Wall Spec is set to DEFAULT.

This is somewhat uncommon as most Default settings are global, but Pony Walls can actually have different settings for different Saved Plan Views.

What if instead of using a pony wall, you added a knee wall level between the foundation level and the first floor to show the framed wall part?

Kind of like how Chief adds an attic level to place gable walls and such...

3 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Level 0 is the walkout basement, with a slab floor inside concrete stemwalls.  The walkout walls are done as pony walls, wood-framed atop the slab elevation, frost-wall stemwalls below.

To show the floor plan in layout I set the pony wall exterior walls to display upper framed walls.

My video I think clearly shows how to use saved plan views to accomplish what you are trying to do.  

7 minutes ago, SNestor said:

My video I think clearly shows how to use saved plan views to accomplish what you are trying to do.  

The only thing I saw missing was, as Michael already said above, you must have "Display in Plan View" in the pony wall spec DBX set for "DEFAULT." If not, the default setting is ignored and switching the Saved Plan View does not change the appearance of the pony wall.

1 hour ago, Chrisb222 said:

The only thing I saw missing was, as Michael already said above, you must have "Display in Plan View" in the pony wall spec DBX set for "DEFAULT." If not, the default setting is ignored and switching the Saved Plan View does not change the appearance of the pony wall.

You and Michael are 100% correct.  Saved Plan Views store "active defaults" for pony walls...so, if you change the pony wall default, then save the view as a specific "plan view"...the walls will appear as defined.  My video works...but I think I got ahead of myself thinking it was the layerset specification controlling the display of the pony walls...when in reality it was the "pony wall default" that was being saved by the plan view.  

One thing though..If you have other walls in the basement (or lower level) that you want to see with your foundation walls, such as load bearing walls...but not partition walls, then you will need to assign a specific layerset to each plan view so those walls turn on/off with the plan view.

4 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You have to leave it set to DEFAULT.  You just change the Display In Plan Views setting in your Default Settings for that particular Plan View...

1356875962_Pic1.thumb.jpg.86dc06bef6162c3b284dfe150c67d13b.jpg930669523_Pic2.thumb.jpg.2f96c5c3f4a08f77d070d05a6b4884f8.jpg1191595079_Pic3.thumb.jpg.4e8c3f0786385bf1c6900a2ff66e447b.jpg1344502495_Pic4.thumb.jpg.57d5796fbbdb3c923d39967ed0f33223.jpg1425870194_Pic5.thumb.jpg.e69877668da6f27f55f221aad7d0460d.jpg

A big thank you ,  you are the man.

It does seem like the way they have it set up is counterintuitive....  but I ain't complaining.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/23/2019 at 9:57 AM, GeneDavis said:

Not sure my video is 100% correct...but it may help you..or others.  It helped me to do it...Plan Views and Pony Wall Defaults are interesting.

• Upvote 1

Just to clarify...

The "Display In Plan View" setting in your Pony Wall Defaults is remembered by both Saved Plan Views and Layout Boxes.  The only caveat is that you can override this setting for any particular wall in your plan.  So as long as your walls are set to use "Default", all you need to do is change the setting in the Pony Wall Defaults and save your plan view or send it to layout and the program will keep the setting.

22 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Just to clarify...

....... The only caveat is that you can override this setting for any particular wall in your plan.  So as long as your walls are set to use "Default", all you need to do is change the setting in the Pony Wall Defaults and save your plan view or send it to layout and the program will keep the setting.

I was wondering about this.  I think what you are saying is if I have two pony walls,  pony wall A can show the upper wall and pony wall B can show the lower wall.  I was not able to do that.  If I kept the walls set to default,  but change the display in pony wall defaults,  the change effected all pony walls.  I was not able to have two different walls display differently in a view sent to layout. 

Here is a link to the file if you can do it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/swhr0e0iyn47vnv/AADZORt07AqQaAFf_LC27bJma?dl=0 

1323086599_ScreenShot2019-07-24at8_59_11AM.thumb.png.4dde10e78f76249badd7033cc224b5b5.png

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

Just open each wall and change the "Display In Plan View" to something other than "Default" and it will override the setting for the view.

Okay,  but now I think that means that particular wall will look like that in every view and we no longer have the option for some views to show top of wall and other views to show bottom of wall for that particular wall.....  I know this is not a very common occurrence.....  just wondering.

Michael,  am I correct in my statement?

36 minutes ago, dshall said:

Okay,  but now I think that means that particular wall will look like that in every view and we no longer have the option for some views to show top of wall and other views to show bottom of wall for that particular wall.....  I know this is not a very common occurrence.....  just wondering.

Michael,  am I correct in my statement?

Yes.  Sort of.  You can simply overlap 2 plan views in layout though to address that.  One with the special wall turned off and one with only the special wall turned on.