Linking Section and Detail numbers

jcldraft

Is there anyway in Chief to link Section and Detail and Elevation numbers like how Revit does it? I was almost tempted to get into Revit just for this reason. Can we do this in Chief? I mean especially to the level that as you move, add or delete details and elevations all numbers are automatically regenerated? If not I'd think Chief would go to the head of the class if they did this.

• Upvote 1

I remember back in the earlier Chief versions we had the ability to control the program on some level. Some of us wrote code and shared it to help manipulate the program as wanted. Is there anyone out there who has insight on how to manipulate the program in this regard?

It is a bit complicated to set up, and also time consuming to maintain, but CA's cameras will capture and automatically update whatever you set them up to do.

From what I remember, Revit will automatically link to one view and one view only.  With Chief you can set up as many links as your heart desires, but you have to do it yourself.

I actually prefer the way Chief does it, but I do wish is was easier to work with.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RodCole said:

It is a bit complicated to set up, and also time consuming to maintain, but CA's cameras will capture and automatically update whatever you set them up to do.

From what I remember, Revit will automatically link to one view and one view only.  With Chief you can set up as many links as your heart desires, but you have to do it yourself.

I actually prefer the way Chief does it, but I do wish is was easier to work with.

I’ve decided to transition back to Revit and in v2019 you can create as many views, sections and callouts as you’d like and Revit will not only auto update the tag info, but it’ll also bring you to the correct page when you click on the section tags in the PDF file. It’s absolutely wonderful. 

• Like 1

Wow, DavidJames - don't tempt me...:D...yeah but I'm going to master Chief first like I should have from way back then I'll think about trying Revit or even ArchiCAD or whatever just to see the comparison. I'm focused on doing things the Chief way now. Should have done that years ago...smh (frigging AutoCAD...:blink:).

The last time I used Revit was version 2017.  IMO it is a great program, but ultimately it arrives at the same flaws we find in other programs such as Chief, and that is that in an effort to provide a simple/easy to operate application they keep adding more and more stuff that integrates with even more stuff in a way that is anything but simple.  Not a bad thing in the sense that they are getting more powerful, but still a rather large learning curve.  Google is definitely your friend when using Revit in that many others before you have struggled with accomplishing the same simple tasks and have provided their solutions.

What I do like about Chief is their focus on providing a wide range of tools for you to use however you may choose to use them.  Whereas, Revit tends to work toward doing things for you.  Not a bad thing since they are seeking to provide features that many people want, and in a rather polished fashion at that.

From my experience Chief is a very powerful program as well, and it is capable of accomplishing rather large projects as well. 

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress  toward making Chief do all  the things you want to do.

• Like 1