Getting a Divorce...

jcldraft

Okay, I'm officially divorcing AutoCAD! Just sick and tired of the tireless back and forth - especially with a plan that's constantly revised. It's literal self mutilation and the abuse has finally led me to seek my divorce. No more torture!

Just to give you a little back ground - I've been using Chief from Version 6 in 1999. Back then my user name was 'cadstudio'. This dreadful marriage has led me away from the good life I had potential to in Architecture. :D

SO I'll be posting questions on how to get up to pace with the real power of Chief Architect.

Hi David, I remember you from back in the day...lol...2000 and on....

Yeah the real big deal is most of my work has been for Senior Architects who liked their drawings to look a certain way that was torture to produce in Chief. So AutoCAD helped with the finals and layouts. Also I was encouraged to never leave AutoCAD behind by an Architect I used to do sub drafting for. 

There are some little nit picking things that if Chief would focus on it would be great.

I guess I am just spoiled in that I have been self-employed since 1979. I work mainly with local remodeling companies and some smaller custom home builders none of which are members of the AIA. I do work with several Architects who are AIA but they mostly do their own plans, I mainly help them with Chief Architect matters/problems, I have learned a lot from them about drafting and AIA conventions as well.

DJP

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jcldraft said:

There are some little nit picking things that if Chief would focus on it would be great.

I think there are some AutoCad users who might have a similar complaint that goes like this..."There are some BIG nit picking things that if AC would focus on that would be great".  

If you think about what you can do with Chief...and what you can do with a 2D program like AC...well, is there really any comparison?  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nestor

Curious why you think AC is a 2D program.  AC can actually do 3D very well, just not automated out of the box.  One of the things that I have always loved about AC is it's ability to program so many things yourself.

The difference that I see is that with AC you can do just about anything you could think you might want to do, but you either have to do everything yourself, or buy a slew of add on programs to automate things.  That brings with it a whole new level of expense and complication.

With Chief you get a great deal of tools built in that allow you to quickly put together a 3D model, but you miss out on some very powerful capabilities that are available in a traditional CAD program as well.

Chief started out with basic 3D modeling tools and symbols created by Chief and other vendors in outside programs until the symbol tools where released.  IMO Chief still does not have the 3D Solid tools that were available in other CAD programs those many years ago.  That is why I still see a need for both, but my program of choice is not AC for a lot of reasons.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RodCole said:

Nestor

Curious why you think AC is a 2D program.  AC can actually do 3D very well, just not automated out of the box.  One of the things that I have always loved about AC is it's ability to program so many things yourself.

The difference that I see is that with AC you can do just about anything you could think you might want to do, but you either have to do everything yourself, or buy a slew of add on programs to automate things.  That brings with it a whole new level of expense and complication.

With Chief you get a great deal of tools built in that allow you to quickly put together a 3D model, but you miss out on some very powerful capabilities that are available in a traditional CAD program as well.

Chief started out with basic 3D modeling tools and symbols created by Chief and other vendors in outside programs until the symbol tools where released.  IMO Chief still does not have the 3D Solid tools that were available in other CAD programs those many years ago.  That is why I still see a need for both, but my program of choice is not AC for a lot of reasons.

My only experience with AC was with “AutoCad LT”.  I’m not even close to being even a novice when it comes to AC.  

My only point is that it seems we see a lot of posts that wish CA did something that AC does...but it seems to me that AC users probably wish AC did 50% of what you can do with Chief.  I’ve owned CA since X7 and I’ve never wished or thought I needed another piece of software to complete a set of plans.  

• Like 1

I have to admit that I did not realize that AC had morphed into a 3D program.  However...while scouring YouTube for videos I felt watching these videos as if 3D design software had gone back to 1991.  

How can anyone compare AC3d to Chief...and even state that they wish Chief would do things that AC can do?  I mean come on...

example video:  

• Upvote 1

Well SNestor, perhaps you've never worked for old school Senior Architects who back in the day insisted that their CDs looked exactly like the drawing board. If you're self employed and work only for yourself you'd have no issue whatsoever - I get that. But me on the other hand - I'm a CAD Technician who mostly sub contracts CDs for other technicians and Architects. Some of the Architects can be picky - especially back in the day before CAD CDs were really given their props. The thought back then was they were too mechanical looking so many tried to keep the drawing board flare with their CAD CDs. It's all nit picking if you ask me but I had to do it to survive. Now a days it seems the industry is way more sympathetic or should I say tolerant of the 'mechanical' look of the CAD CDs.

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

I have to admit that I did not realize that AC had morphed into a 3D program.  However...while scouring YouTube for videos I felt watching these videos as if 3D design software had gone back to 1991.  

How can anyone compare AC3d to Chief...and even state that they wish Chief would do things that AC can do?  I mean come on...

example video:  

Wow. Had to stop. It made me want my pencils and drawing board back.

You have to manually delete line fragments after drawing "walls"???

What if you want to move a wall?? Geez...

I do like the View Cube, though. Nice to be able to go from plan view to 3D to elevations within the same window...

2 hours ago, SNestor said:

You might want to look at a few other videos on programs such as Revit, which is an automated architectural design program, similar to Chief, and it is also a structural design software as well.  I would like to point out that the pace of development of these other programs is progressing at a rapid pace, but the curious thing is that many of the so called new features being released have been around in traditional CAD programs since the late 1980's and early 1990's.

My point is that it I think it would be good thing for Chief to accommodate as many existing technologies as possible and I believe they are, just not at the pace of some of their competitors.  Back to the Future, as in 1991, is happening all around us.  The question is how will Chief adapt.

2 hours ago, jcldraft said:

Well SNestor, perhaps you've never worked for old school Senior Architects who back in the day insisted that their CDs looked exactly like the drawing board. If you're self employed and work only for yourself you'd have no issue whatsoever - I get that. But me on the other hand - I'm a CAD Technician who mostly sub contracts CDs for other technicians and Architects. Some of the Architects can be picky - especially back in the day before CAD CDs were really given their props. The thought back then was they were too mechanical looking so many tried to keep the drawing board flare with their CAD CDs. It's all nit picking if you ask me but I had to do it to survive. Now a days it seems the industry is way more sympathetic or should I say tolerant of the 'mechanical' look of the CAD CDs.

You are right...never had to draw plans for architects.  And...happy I was able to avoid that possibility.  You have to do what you need to in order to pay the bills. There is no shame in becoming expert in AutoCad.  It’s a ubiquitous piece of software and if your career is drafting you almost have no choice but to become proficient with AC.  

29 minutes ago, RodCole said:

You might want to look at a few other videos on programs such as Revit, which is an automated architectural design program, similar to Chief, and it is also a structural design software as well.  

Yes...I know about Revit.  AC is not Revit.  

I think my original comment was about AC...which I hadn’t realized had become a 3D program.  For 2D drafting...AC is just great.  For 3D residential design...it’s a dinosaur.  They should give up now...