roof rafter exposed issue

Designer100

Not quite sure how you got to there Newel but it appears your settings are ok.  Try "Edit All Roof Planes" > Structure > "Build Roof Framing."  Possibly you changed some settings after the roof was framed and while "Automatically Build Roof Framing" was turned off.

For some reason "Build Framing for Selected Object(s)" does not seem to work in your plan file if someone else can explain that. 

11 hours ago, glennw said:

I had to...

Edit All Roof Planes>Structure Panel>Roof Layers>uncheck Soffits and then check Roof>Build Roof Framing.

Make sure your Framing, Roof Rafters is turned on in the 3D view. 

Glenn if that really works on a Mac you should send it in as that goes against what the manual says.

Rafter tails.JPG

17 hours ago, Greg_NY61 said:

I selected all exposed rafters, go into dbx, select rafter tails and put a checkmark into Remain Aspect Ratio. If checkmark already there, uncheck and re-check again and that will fix the issue.

Interesting discovery Greg as that setting should have nothing to do with the problem but it seems you found a trigger that will cause an individual rafter to rebuild or in your case all of the selected rafters.

You don't actually have to check anything....   Just open the rafter DBX and close it to get the same result.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 11:31 AM, DRAWZILLA said:

if it's exposed rafters you want then change the soffit material to opening no material and the rafters will show.

I think that works for standard view but not vector view..  am I correct?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

works for me, but you need to adjust the material to air gap

exposed rafters.png

exposed rafters 2.png

exposed rafters 3.png

Hi P.

OPENING NO MATERIAL also works......  so what am I thinking  of? .....  I thought those materials were shown as solid in vector mode and invisible in standard view.

Have things changed?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dshall said:

Hi P.

OPENING NO MATERIAL also works......  so what am I thinking  of? .....  I thought those materials were shown as solid in vector mode and invisible in standard view.

Have things changed?  

I think so but Chief didn't tell us.

2 hours ago, dshall said:

I thought those materials were shown as solid in vector mode and invisible in standard view.

Have things changed?  

When I saw P's post last night ran downstairs to check it out. It only works in this application, alas the other objects I tested are the same as always.

standard.png

vector.png

2 hours ago, MarkMc said:

When I saw P's post last night ran downstairs to check it out. It only works in this application, alas the other objects I tested are the same as always.

standard.png

vector.png

Well,  ain't that a pistol......  so I was initially correct when I said it does not work for vector mode ,   but when specifically applying the OPENING NO MATERIAL to the soffits,  it is invisible even in vector mode.

1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

Material type is "air gap" as you suggested in first post. Try it on any symbol besides the roof

Someday we should put a list together of all these subtle CA anomalies.......  like the FOUNDATION layer..... 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, glennw said:

Perry,

Is your method, the same as/better /worse than unchecking Soffits?

The reason for using soffits is the soffits control the height of the exterior finish.

So,  if you want your stucco veneer to stop at top plates,  the soffit is not necessary.

However,  if you want the stucco veneer to go BEYOND the underside of the rafters and up to the roof sheathing,  a soffit would be needed.  By using a soffit without a finish, you will now be able to see the underside of the roof sheathing which will be plywood unless you designate the roof sheathing as "decking" which will give you the 1x6 T&G starter boards.

Perry,  any comments to this?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, dshall said:

The reason for using soffits is the soffits control the height of the exterior finish.

So,  if you want your stucco veneer to stop at top plates,  the soffit is not necessary.

However,  if you want the stucco veneer to go BEYOND the underside of the rafters and up to the roof sheathing,  a soffit would be needed.  By using a soffit without a finish, you will now be able to see the underside of the roof sheathing which will be plywood unless you designate the roof sheathing as "decking" which will give you the 1x6 T&G starter boards.

Perry,  any comments to this?

also when you have a 2x12 rafter and must have tails at 2x4 to match existing trusses so no bump in the roof exists. you must use invisible soffits to get the framing correct. this is almost an every day thing in my world..  When the existing house is trusses we almost never use trusses for the addition. everything is stick built around here. unless it is a new structure.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

also when you have a 2x12 rafter and must have tails at 2x4 to match existing trusses so no bump in the roof exists. you must use invisible soffits to get the framing correct. this is almost an every day thing in my world..  When the existing house is trusses we almost never use trusses for the addition. everything is stick built around here. unless it is a new structure.

Good call,  thanks.

• Upvote 1