Dashed door swing?

Tdgdesign

3 hours ago, Tdgdesign said:

Is there a way to show the door swing arc path as a dashed line in plan view? 

Thank you :)

You can change the entire door symbol to a dashed line in your layer settings, is there a reason you would want just the door swing dashed as opposed to the entire door?

1 hour ago, Tdgdesign said:

I like the door solid and the swing path dashed because, well it doesn't really exist. Just something I have always done.

Can you explain further, is this a hinge door that is being converted to a doorway? Would a reference layer using a dashed AB plan work?

OK, I understand the request, I think in most arch standards books-it would denote a swing direction with a thinner line weight, my overall request would be to give separate control to all elements of the door display since we aren't given any CAD options in the symbol DBX....I also fully promote going against conventional drafting standards as it can be a method to promote change for the better. 

An aside, I shy away from dashed lines on anything that doesn't represent a section cut or an element reflecting in a reverse plane(soffits) etc.- this certainly is debatable.

I'd suggest putting up a request in the suggestion forums..thumbs up!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

OK, I understand the request, I think in most arch standards books-it would denote a swing direction with a thinner line weight, my overall request would be to give separate control to all elements of the door display since we aren't given any CAD options in the symbol DBX....I also fully promote going against conventional drafting standards as it can be a method to promote change for the better. 

An aside, I shy away from dashed lines on anything that doesn't represent a section cut or an element reflecting in a reverse plane(soffits) etc.- this certainly is debatable.

I'd suggest putting up a request in the suggestion forums..thumbs up!

Yeah, I picked up this swing style from my first job in an Architects office fresh out of college. They were very much a trend bucking, punk rock firm. Thanks for your time and insight.  .

• Upvote 2

I like the look too. Also like the idea of having more control over door display elements.

I prefer to not show door jambs on floor plans, but the only way to not show it is to uncheck Jamb in the door DBX and if jamb is unchecked, it doesn't show on 3D views, making the model incorrect. This is new in X11, previous versions could have jamb unchecked and they would still appear in 3D.

Put in a Suggestion.

• Upvote 1

On 7/19/2019 at 1:00 PM, Tdgdesign said:

Unfortunately it seems that there is not a practical workaround to generate this look in Chief :(

Not sure if you would consider this to be practical or not but a similar look can be achieved with current tools if you think this would be acceptable ?

Door Swing.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 10:58 PM, Chopsaw said:

Not sure if you would consider this to be practical or not but a similar look can be achieved with current tools if you think this would be acceptable ?

Door Swing.jpg

Yes! That looks great. How do I achieve this please and thank you!

1 hour ago, Tdgdesign said:

Yes! That looks great. How do I achieve this please and thank you!

It is just a cad mask with white lines layered over the door swing line.  If you were going to use this in a lot of projects it could be set up on a toolbar as a custom library tool and be mostly preset to just drop in place.

• Like 1

I can help you set it up so it is two clicks for most doors if you like, but yes it is a little clunky for something that we should be able to set once in defaults but sometimes you need to show CA that it is worth the effort for them to program something into the software.