Confining Layer Style to just one layer set.

Zoyvod

Hi All

I am trying to figure out how to confine a layer style to 1 layer set for e.g.

I want to create a layer set showing the impermeable surfaces of my development on the lot.

So I create a new layer set called impermeable surfaces.

I shade and fill the roofs, driveways etc... I do that fine, but then it changes the way they look in all the layer sets...

If I remove cabinets etc, by un-checking them in the active layer display it confines that change to just that layer set, but when I change how they look it applies it to all the layer sets.

TIA for any help.

It could be one of two things.  In the objects DBX under the Line Style tab you will need to have "Color By Layer" selected and then when you adjust the color in the ALDO for the applicable layer or layers, of your Impermeable Surfaces Layerset make sure "Modify All Layer Sets" is not selected.

Thanks for the reply. The 'color by layer' thing is selected and the 'modify all layer sets' is not selected but it is still occurring, just checked and now it has updated my layout pages as well.

What version of Chief are you running ?   You can include that and any critical hardware specifications and operating system info in your signature so it is always visible when asking questions making it easier for others to help.

Its strange because I can change other things like contour colors, display post options and it will restrict it to just that layer set but the roofs, deck and driveway shading carries through the whole set..

My good man there is nothing to apologize for, I appreciate you trying to help. I'm sure with enough time (like most thing's with chief)  I will stumble across the solution...its just a matter of how many times my head makes contact with the wall before that occurs! :blink:

Ok I think I have got it, changing them that way changes them everywhere, but when you change them through the ALDO (just figured that out too) ;) look at me learning new things!!, it only changes them through that layer set.., so I guess the question is, is there a way to change the fill style and hatching style through the ALDO

20 minutes ago, Zoyvod said:

is there a way to change the fill style and hatching style through the ALDO

Hatch Line Color and Solid Fill Color can be changed in ALDO by clicking the color swatch listed with the layer info or if you display Layer Properties below the ALDO layer listings you can do it there.

Thanks for the backup during my break Eric :)

That's correct so when I look at my impermeable surfaces layer set the roofs are hatched and filled but when I move to a different layer set i.e. roof plan layer set they will be un hatched and not filled..

I can change the color and line styles through the ALDO for each layer set but not whether the item is hatched and filled.

3 minutes ago, Zoyvod said:

I can change the color and line styles through the ALDO for each layer set but not whether the item is hatched and filled.

Assuming that you are printing on white paper.  Change your line color or fill color to white.

I can do that for export, but for layer sets that then blocks everything under that roof from being visible. If there was an option in the ALDO to adjust transparency it would work perfect but any solid color blocks all below it.

As far as I can tell you cant even display just the roof outline either, so for e.g. I could have the roof outline showing on a floor plan layer set and then have it hatched and filled for another layer set. It seems you have to have the whole roof or none of the roof.

Now

13 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

The other option would be to to snap a simple polyline to each object and set your fill or hatch pattern with that and then you have complete control.

Now that's a great idea, problem solved. Thanks v-much.

I believe that you can do what you want with the original objects.

ie, without the need to draw polylines.

And I think others have tried to explain this previously.

You can assign a different color fill to the Roof Planes layer for each Layerset.

So, set up your layersets so that you can control the fill color depending on the layerset.

Open the roof planes dbx, Fill Style>Appearance, select a color and make sure Use Layer Color is checked.

eg, This means that on the Roof Planes layer set, the roofs can have a green fill.

You could then change to the Impermeable layer set where the roofs could have a blue fill.

Post a simple plan with a quick description of what you want and someone here will try and set it up to get what you want because sometimes things get lost in translation, settings are different....etc..

Glenn, I believe the final goal was to have hatching or fill in one layer set and then no hatching or fill in another.

Independent polylines allows for layers to be completely turned off.

Possibly my idea of white hatch lines or white solid fill could work in conjunction with Draw order to not mask underlying details ?

1 hour ago, glennw said:

I believe that you can do what you want with the original objects.

ie, without the need to draw polylines.

And I think others have tried to explain this previously.

You can assign a different color to the Roof Planes layer for each Layerset.

So, set up your layersets so that you can control the fill color depending on the layerset.

Open the roof planes dbx, Fill Style>Appearance, select a color and make sure Use Layer Color is checked.

eg, This means that on the Roof Planes layer set, the roofs can have a green fill.

You could then change to the Impermeable layer set where the roofs could have a blue fill.

Post a simple plan with a quick description of what you want and someone here will try and set it up to get what you want because sometimes things get lost in translation, settings are different....etc..

Hi Glen Thanks for the reply I have tried the change color option and it doesn't achieve what I want, although it means I can change the color for each different layer set the Hatch style and fill/ line transparency are still set by that original setting and the only later change is the color.

The polyline idea has worked well so will stick with that, Thanks again.

1 hour ago, glennw said:

This is just an FYI for some of the more advanced users.  If you don't have a good understanding of saved plan views, layer sets, or reference display, I would skip this.

There is a somewhat hidden way to control fill styles using saved plan views, layer sets, and the new reference display capabilities in X11.  

The basic idea is that when you display something in a reference plan, you have the ability to control whether or not the plan details (such as fill style) will display.  Now that you can display the same floor as part of your reference display this allows you to take advantage of this ability in new ways.  So when you want to display the fill styles, you just display the object normally by turning on the layer.  If you don't want to display the fill, you turn off the display in the normal view, turn on the display in the reference but with the details turned off.

See attached plan and picture for a simple example showing the roof fill turned on in one saved plan view and not in the other.

roof with and without fill style.png

controlling fill styles.plan

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Dermot said:

This is just an FYI for some of the more advanced users.  If you don't have a good understanding of saved plan views, layer sets, or reference display, I would skip this.

There is a somewhat hidden way to control fill styles using saved plan views, layer sets, and the new reference display capabilities in X11.  

The basic idea is that when you display something in a reference plan, you have the ability to control whether or not the plan details (such as fill style) will display.  Now that you can display the same floor as part of your reference display this allows you to take advantage of this ability in new ways.  So when you want to display the fill styles, you just display the object normally by turning on the layer.  If you don't want to display the fill, you turn off the display in the normal view, turn on the display in the reference but with the details turned off.

See attached plan and picture for a simple example showing the roof fill turned on in one saved plan view and not in the other.

roof with and without fill style.png

controlling fill styles.plan

There you go.  The power of the ref sets.  I had not thought of this.....  this is very powerful.  The more I think about this,  the more muddled my brain gets. There are all sorts of possibilities.  Thanks Dermot.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Zoyvod said:

Hi All

I am trying to figure out how to confine a layer style to 1 layer set for e.g.

I want to create a layer set showing the impermeable surfaces of my development on the lot.

So I create a new layer set called impermeable surfaces.

I shade and fill the roofs, driveways etc... I do that fine, but then it changes the way they look in all the layer sets...

If I remove cabinets etc, by un-checking them in the active layer display it confines that change to just that layer set, but when I change how they look it applies it to all the layer sets.

TIA for any help.

Thanks for bringing this up.  I too am dealing with impermeable areas etc.....   Dermot came up with the solution.  Good good stuff.

• Upvote 1