Timber Framing

ChiefDwight

Hi,

Can CA do timber framing somewhat easily?

Actually, I'm trying to design a greenhouse using 2"x2" square tubing and bolting it together. 16'x18' total

Designing it like timber framing which I'll then put a poly skin over it.

I want it to butt up along the side of the south facing wall of the house. About 16' high wall next to the house. 16' high wall roof point going out about 8' or so then slanting down to connect to the south wall which will be about 8' high. then have a pad (2nd floor) 8' high, 18' long, 8-10' wide. the south side slant will be in the 40-55 degree range once i figure out the angle of the sun. and wrap around stairs going up to the second floor from the slanted side of the roof.

I have CA 10 and am thinking of upgrading to the new version. I'm using the trial now to get a feel for the differences.

I haven't used the program in quite sometime. so i'm still learning all the ins and outs.

Thanks

Dwight

I'm totally confused by your description, but I'm not the sharpest tool in the greenhouse. If you're looking to fabricate a space frame out of 2x2 HSS, I'd consider welded connections. As far as modeling this in CA is concerned, maybe draw the outline of the bent in a CAD elevation, then convert to a solid, copy at your preferred spacing, and then drop in more solids for the girts, etc.

sorry about the confusion.

is HSS 3/16 square stell tubing? if so, yes if it will be strong enough. would be making it in 4' and 8' intersections.

the reason for bolting instead of welding is to make it mobil. and 8' x 2"x"2 would be about 35lbs. a weight someone could handle, even my girlfriend, when assembling and disassembling.

in CA i haven't tried the CAD side of things.

i tried to access the training video's for intro but CA won't let me in unless i pay for  support. i'll  see what the manual has to show me.

i was just hoping someone had a easier solution or knew some shortcuts to share.

i like playing with alternative building ideas.

thanks

upon reading the CAD objects contents, the second paragraph say's:

The CAD Tools are used to add information to 2D views of your model. CAD objects do not affect 3D objects or display in camera views or overviews, but they can be used to add details to layout pages, floor plan view and cross section/elevation views.

i was hoping to see it in camera views and overviews for sales and marketing purposes.

So it appears that you want something like the pic below.

I did this with a wall type that had 2x2 metal framing members @ 48". o.c. and 2x2 top and bottom plates (only 1 top plate).  What is showing is the wall framing.  You can have a skin layer in the wall (perhaps glass or ...)

I had to delete a couple of "studs" at the corners and you might want to adjust some of the locations.

post-47-0-82274400-1411756728_thumb.jpg

maybe draw the outline of the bent in a CAD elevation, then convert to a solid, copy at your preferred spacing, and then drop in more solids for the girts, etc.

Hmmm, I'm probably wrong about this ... 

working off memory here

but back in the days of ver 10, maybe even X1

lots of shapes and symbols had to be created in Sketchup then imported into Chief

starting with X2, I think, the need for Sketchup was reduced dramatically

versions prior to X1 are not able to import Sketchup files

Lew

sorry about the confusion.

is HSS 3/16 square stell tubing? if so, yes if it will be strong enough. would be making it in 4' and 8' intersections.

HSS is a Hollow Structural Section. 2x2 structural tubing comes in 3/16, 1/4, and 5/16 thick in most steel grades.

Again, I don't understand your description of what you are trying to accomplish, but this is what I was describing: bents and bracing made from polyline solids, a glass or poly skin made from walls. (I didn't draw in a roof - but that would also be a simple matter).

post-95-0-95346400-1411759218_thumb.png

got it... well almost.

Joe,

i built the rooms using the rail walls and floor/ceiling beams. what i can't figure out is that i have a small gap between the first floor and the second. and another small gap between the second floor top rails and the ceiling beams.

i tried to copy and send a picture but the trial version won't let me. the version 10 that i'm using is setup in virtual XP so i can't get the file out of it. but i don't have the problem in the version 10.

any ideas?

thanks