Don't want polyline box poking through roof

Stevenplane

I'm not the most proficient with Chief as I only use it a few times a month so I'm much obliged for any suggestions or help.

How can I keep those polyline boxes I created from poking through the vaulted porch roof?

Also, if we really frame this vaulted gable like my client is requesting, the brick wall will have to extend up where you currently see a bit of the main roof under the vaulted porch roof.  How do I get Chief to render that?

Thanks!

Steve

Polyline through roof.jpg

2 minutes ago, Stevenplane said:

How can I keep those polyline boxes I created from poking through the vaulted porch roof?

Several methods, probably the easiest would be to draw poly boxes in elevation so you could match the slope of the roof

3 minutes ago, Stevenplane said:

How do I get Chief to render that?

You would need to break your roof under and pill it back before the wall...would be my first thought...how do you actually plan on building this in real life?cutting back your rafters and hanging them off of a new wall that extends up to your new california framed roof over?

also, always a good idea to post your .plan file

1.)  I'll have to learn to draw poly boxes in elevation.  I've never done that but I'm sure I can find a thread or video somewhere showing it.
2.)  I think I might understand what you are suggesting...maybe try to clarify for me?  I DON'T want my client doing this in real life.  The house was built in 1855 and doing a vaulted ceiling will just be wrong in my opinion.  If she sticks to her guns though, I'll frame a couple of beams to stack the porch rafters on.  Then we'll cut back the overhang on the main house (under the porch roof I mean) enough that they can continue the brick wall up to the bottom of the porch roof.  The valleys from the porch roof will "lay down" on top of the main roof.
3.)  I always feel bad posting the plan file because inevitably, some awesome person just grabs it and fixes it for me.  That's great but then I end up not learning anything...lol.

Steven, I'll be available sometime this afternoon if you want some one on one help with this. Should be an easy fix. Using Team Viewer, we can do an online meeting so I can show you and you can ask some questions. No charge of course. If interested, email me or call me 832-754-6160.

• 2 weeks later...