Unidentified flying object

Evolution

Continuing to work on my plan, and suddenly an object appears in the 3D render view? It hadn't showed up until today. I've been working on the lay in ceiling grid and thought it might be some grid sticking out to the wall, but when looking at a cross section it appears to be on an angle like maybe a window sill. There isn't a window in that location. I look at the 3rd floor (attic level) nothing even slightly appears to be there. 

UNKNOWN OBJECT.png

Orphanos Foundation Renovations option 1 dormer fix by steve.zip

I’m guessing.  Not at computer.  I think it’s a ceiling plane being created by your porch room...on the foundation level.  Go to this level, select your porch room and unselect roof over this room/ceiling over this room. See if it disappears 

48 minutes ago, Evolution said:

Continuing to work on my plan, and suddenly an object appears in the 3D render view? It hadn't showed up until today. I've been working on the lay in ceiling grid and thought it might be some grid sticking out to the wall, but when looking at a cross section it appears to be on an angle like maybe a window sill. There isn't a window in that location. I look at the 3rd floor (attic level) nothing even slightly appears to be there. 

Orphanos Foundation Renovations option 1.zip

UNKNOWN OBJECT.png

I opened your plan now.  On the first floor level Porch Room...uncheck "roof over this room".  The anomaly at the roof soffit will disappear.  Not sure why...but you have a number of weird things going on in this plan so...

Here is a pic of the result...

2019-07-17_13-19-52.thumb.png.e881915b3da053bf73c8309a610c8e65.png

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SNestor said:

I opened your plan now.  On the first floor level Porch Room...uncheck "roof over this room".  The anomaly at the roof soffit will disappear.  Not sure why...but you have a number of weird things going on in this plan so...

Here is a pic of the result...

2019-07-17_13-19-52.thumb.png.e881915b3da053bf73c8309a610c8e65.png

That was it Steve! But what's weird is, why did it suddenly show up, since the porch hasn't change since I added the roof and timber framing (he wanted added).  There are a few strange things going on. Some probably to do with the Dormers.  I built them manually, but without a floor in the attic (third floor was added back when you were helping me with those federal style walls on each end). So the dormer walls dropped all the way through to the second floor. I tried adding room definition to the attic (since it is on level 3) but it won't let me, so I did a poly-line shaped to the attic, made it a PL solid changed it to wood set it at what would be third floor level in order to get the Dormer walls to stop at that level.  I also tried the floating dormer and I think was Shane K that got suggested it, and I did it but the message kept telling me I couldn't place in the area I was trying to place it.  I kept moving it and kept getting the same results, so I went back to my idea. 

16 hours ago, Evolution said:

That was it Steve! But what's weird is, why did it suddenly show up, since the porch hasn't change since I added the roof and timber framing (he wanted added).  There are a few strange things going on. Some probably to do with the Dormers.  I built them manually, but without a floor in the attic (third floor was added back when you were helping me with those federal style walls on each end). So the dormer walls dropped all the way through to the second floor. I tried adding room definition to the attic (since it is on level 3) but it won't let me, so I did a poly-line shaped to the attic, made it a PL solid changed it to wood set it at what would be third floor level in order to get the Dormer walls to stop at that level.  I also tried the floating dormer and I think was Shane K that got suggested it, and I did it but the message kept telling me I couldn't place in the area I was trying to place it.  I kept moving it and kept getting the same results, so I went back to my idea. 

Did a video on you might want to create the Dormers for your Orphanos Plan.  You may have moved past this point...but, might help you in the future.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

Did a video on you might want to create the Dormers for your Orphanos Plan.  You may have moved past this point...but, might help you in the future.  

Steve your video is great.  For clarification regarding the "weird" things you picked up on: The wall you mention on 2nd floor that doesn't line up with the recess on floor 1 is on purpose.  The Client is converting the second floor as a respite for the Missionaries supported by the Foundation when they are visiting the US.  The other half of the 2nd floor is moving the work center to one location with a reception area at the top of the stairs, so for the reception area, he wanted to move that wall out and create more space for receiving guests or other visitors. We will demo the existing wall, open the area under the floor, scabbed 2X heavies to the existing floor joist or I-joist (not sure what we have to work with) and cantilever out with a double (triple?) rim joist we will notch the walls on either side to support the end of the new rim joist. 

Also, regarding the Dormers, I will save a plan and work on doing them the way you have done.  You may have forgotten, but you did a great video to help me figure out how to model  the end walls for the "as-built" exterior of the Federal style.   Your help is FANTASTIC!!!!

DOORS AND SIDELITES BELOW 2ND FLOOR.png

WALL EXPLANATION.png

Steve, I've spent several hours following your video step by step, literally rewinding to a point and duplicating your moves.  But, that being said, I am at a point I can't get past, and that is when I de-construct the dormer, change the roof to a barrel, the roof jumps off the top of the wall and leaves a gap, I've tried several ways to fix, but don't know what I'm doing wrong.  Again to that point I don't know what I missed from your dormer video, but it's not working for me. I've posted my updated plan (from a few days ago I had already fixed several of the things you pointed out. Not sure what I missed. Can you take a look at my updated plan. BTW, its hard to tell from the photo of the existing building, but the roof over the dormer (copper roof) does overhang the sides by about 3" (I forgot to fix that in the attached dormer plan) but the barrel eave is flush with the window trim. 

Dormers with Barrel roof.png

dormer has a hole.png

19 hours ago, Evolution said:

Steve, I've spent several hours following your video step by step, literally rewinding to a point and duplicating your moves.  But, that being said, I am at a point I can't get past, and that is when I de-construct the dormer, change the roof to a barrel, the roof jumps off the top of the wall and leaves a gap, I've tried several ways to fix, but don't know what I'm doing wrong.  Again to that point I don't know what I missed from your dormer video, but it's not working for me. I've posted my updated plan (from a few days ago I had already fixed several of the things you pointed out. Not sure what I missed. Can you take a look at my updated plan. BTW, its hard to tell from the photo of the existing building, but the roof over the dormer (copper roof) does overhang the sides by about 3" (I forgot to fix that in the attached dormer plan) but the barrel eave is flush with the window trim. 

Dormers with Barrel roof.png

dormer has a hole.png

Bob...you aren't crazy.  Barrel roof dormers are very difficult in Chief if you want the roof to be a "round top".  Check out my video...it should help you get the job done!

8 hours ago, SNestor said:

Bob...you aren't crazy.  Barrel roof dormers are very difficult in Chief if you want the roof to be a "round top".  Check out my video...it should help you get the job done!

Steve, the video you did prior to this one, you did totally different.  I couldn't make the auto dormer work this time following this vid.  Haven't a clue as to why, but when I go to build roof>build dormer>auto dormer, using the reference lines then click to place the auto dormer.  All I get is a  gray rectangle. In the lower left hand of the screen it says Auto dormer, but all that shows is the gray rectangle  I undo it, then pace it again and same thing.  WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GOING ON? Why do I keep having these crazy issues happening? 

I had saved a copy of my latest plan I did (following the other dormer video you did) where the dormer walls weren't running up under the roof.  I decided it was going to keep me awake at night until I got something to work. I opened the DBX on the dormer I had saved to this plan before I exploded it, opened it, changed the walls to 48" high (42" wide ) then set the various fascia, eave etc., same as you. Then exploded it, selected the roof, locked the ridge, Set it to  curved, changed the pitch from 90 that you suggested (default 89 something) to 60 and bang. I have a dormer, and the walls run up to the soffit, NO GAP:?!?!?!?. In stead of chancing losing the effect by doing each of the remaining 4 one at a time, I shift select and marquee around the exploded dormer (I didn't think it would work) then copied and  paste the next one, It pasted perfectly....WOW!. I did them all that way. So now I have dormers. 

3D perspective.png

Dormer doesn't show up.png

Dormers in plan..png

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Evolution said:

Steve, the video you did prior to this one, you did totally different.  I couldn't make the auto dormer work this time following this vid.  Haven't a clue as to why, but when I go to build roof>build dormer>auto dormer, using the reference lines then click to place the auto dormer.  All I get is a  gray rectangle. In the lower left hand of the screen it says Auto dormer, but all that shows is the gray rectangle  I undo it, then pace it again and same thing.  WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GOING ON? Why do I keep having these crazy issues happening? 

I had saved a copy of my latest plan I did (following the other dormer video you did) where the dormer walls weren't running up under the roof.  I decided it was going to keep me awake at night until I got something to work. I opened the DBX on the dormer I had saved to this plan before I exploded it, opened it, changed the walls to 48" high (42" wide ) then set the various fascia, eave etc., same as you. Then exploded it, selected the roof, locked the ridge, Set it to  curved, changed the pitch from 90 that you suggested (default 89 something) to 60 and bang. I have a dormer, and the walls run up to the soffit, NO GAP:?!?!?!?. In stead of chancing losing the effect by doing each of the remaining 4 one at a time, I shift select and marquee around the exploded dormer (I didn't think it would work) then copied and  paste the next one, It pasted perfectly....WOW!. I did them all that way. So now I have dormers. 

3D perspective.png

Dormer doesn't show up.png

Dormers in plan..png

Great!  Success!  

I was trying to get a "full round" roof...and I think that is the issue.  If you set the radius to something lower...like you did (60)...then Chief cooperates...and things seem to get "fixed". The trouble is setting the radius to something almost full round...such as 89.  Then...the walls get screwy.  It's just a quirk in Chief and you have to find ways to make things work so you don't spend all day working for free trying to force CA to do something it just isn't programmed to do.  

There are so many factors with a roof...the rafter size, the fascia and sub-fascia sizes, the baseline or fascia height...the soffit type and whether you want it on or not.  Add in the radius roof top and you can send CA into orbit.  

Glad you were able to get it all worked out...it looks very accurate!  I used google maps and found the Orphanos building...and your drawing is really beginning to represent the actual structure very well. Nice job! 

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

Glad you were able to get it all worked out...it looks very accurate!  I used google maps and found the Orphanos building...and your drawing is really beginning to represent the actual structure very well. Nice job! 

Thanks Steve.  I like learning the software, but you pros make it look so easy and things seem to come automatically for you so I miss a lot because of knowing the "short cuts" if there are any and quick work arounds. I have to discover it I guess the way you guys did, just keep working with the soft ware.

Thanks again!!! Love the videos you make too.

• Upvote 1