Replace text in selected group

ACADuser

• 4 weeks later...

One at a time. For some reason you can't edit the text of multiple rich text objects.

The dilemma: do you use rich text objects for the improved editing and because onscreen, it's easier on your eyes, or stick to standard text which allows multiple editing, doesn't slow your computer down, but makes your eyes bleed?

Experience and repetition tells you when and where to use which style.

Maybe someone else knows how to multiple edit the text for rich text?

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

One at a time. For some reason you can't edit the text of multiple rich text objects.

The dilemma: do you use rich text objects for the improved editing and because onscreen, it's easier on your eyes, or stick to standard text which allows multiple editing, doesn't slow your computer down, but makes your eyes bleed?

Experience and repetition tells you when and where to use which style.

Maybe someone else knows how to multiple edit the text for rich text?

Rich text has always been like this. Forget about multi-selecting rich text for editing.

Just now, Renerabbitt said:

Use Macros in your rich text

I've recently started using text macros more and more and with thoughtful use, I'm very pleased with how useful they can be. Multiple different rich text objects would still have to be selected or replaced individually, right?

3 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I've recently started using text macros more and more and with thoughtful use, I'm very pleased with how useful they can be. Multiple different rich text objects would still have to be selected or replaced individually, right?

I probably need more info from the OP...if I am understanding correctly he wants the same text in 4 rich text boxes, in that case one identical macro could be placed in 4 boxes and you would only need to change the macro's text.

This is particularly helpful in ensuring that redundant information remains accurate

Yes that works IF you plan ahead. BUT many times the note arrangements do not allow.

Too bad you can't grab 6  rich text objects & replace the text with the macro.

I too am using more & more text macros these days.

Thanks for the input.

22 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Solution?

The obvious problem with this method as you stated is that all your text objects would have to be individually blocked...thereby largely defeating the purpose.  Myself and others have suggested in the past that we be able to edit Rich Text as a group (something we can already do with normal text), but I made one other suggestion a while back that would help with things like this as well...

In this particular instance, a second edit mode could allow us to group select all the text objects and block them as individual entities.  This would make very quick work of replacing all the rich text entities at once:

1. Group select room labels
  2. Switch to my suggested "Edit Selected Objects" mode
  3. Create CAD Block
  4. Replace From Library
  5. Explode