Internal Cabinet modifications

AdeleMinton

HI 

New to using CA interiors X11. As a kitchen and bathroom designer I would like to be able to modify the internals of cabinets.

Broom cupboards - how to divide inner shelving

Pantry - Add internal draws inside. 

See attached images of what I'm looking to achieve. 

Thanks Adele

pantry.jpg

broom cupboard.jpg

2 hours ago, AdeleMinton said:

New to using CA interiors X11. As a kitchen and bathroom designer I would like to be able to modify the internals of cabinets.

Broom cupboards - how to divide inner shelving

Pantry - Add internal draws inside. 

Welcome aboard. What you're asking is very basic, I suggest using some of the training and help resources first to get started.here are a lot of options-videos, help file, reference manual. You could :

• go to the Getting Started Resources section here on the forum
  • place a cabinet into a plan, double click to open it, press the F1 key or click "Help"
  • Just click Help and pick one of the resources listed, then look up cabinets
  • download the PDF of the reference manual

A short investment in time at the beginning pays big dividends in the long run. I found it worthwhile to have new people who worked for me take a short on line class from Chief, even take them myself still on occasion. Your experience with the software will be better if you have a good foundation in the basics.

When you get stuck after trying something come here. Search to see what is already posted, be sure to also look in tips and symbols sections as well as the Q & A). Post a specific question and tell us what you tried (post an image of what you did, and or a plan) and what's not working. Be sure to read:

How to get good answers when you ask questions

Folks will also ask you to complete your signature and include computer information and version you are using.

28 minutes ago, Greg_NY61 said:

use PSolids to make the shelving

Greg-why use psolid when shelves are automatic? Better to learn to deal with a few door symbols (especially for a KD). Attached plan has door symbols forced to remain specific size-everything else is just in the cabinet DBX. The other cabinet can just be done in the cabinet DBX as is. IF those notched shelves are wanted then draw one as a psolid and convert to a symbol. Save them all to library so can be used in the future. (KDs tend to do a lot use certain items repeatedly )

broom.jpg

Tall broom.plan

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Greg_NY61 said:

I don't know Mark, its to early in the morning my brain didn't click into gear yet... Your way is much faster and easier, is how I usually manipulate shelving also.

Early for me too, I didn't realize a symbol mod was needed till I saw your post 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 8:21 PM, MarkMc said:

Greg-why use psolid when shelves are automatic? Better to learn to deal with a few door symbols (especially for a KD). Attached plan has door symbols forced to remain specific size-everything else is just in the cabinet DBX. The other cabinet can just be done in the cabinet DBX as is. IF those notched shelves are wanted then draw one as a psolid and convert to a symbol. Save them all to library so can be used in the future. (KDs tend to do a lot use certain items repeatedly )

broom.jpg

Tall broom.plan

Thanks Mark, I have been using home designer for approx 6 months prior to CAI.  I understand and have watched every video in the tutorial section.

I understand how to manipulate the internals of the cabinets however when I do a vertical divide I lose the doors (or only have one door).  I have tried to make a door symbol which is converted to sit on the cabinet. I'm now stuck with changing the size of this cabinet easily without changing both door sizes individually and adjusting handle location.  I feel there is a shorter method to achieving what I need. (hopefully :-) )

The door symbols that are placed loose in the plan are not meant to be floated on the cabinet. They are used as part of the cabinet.

IT is set so that the height will not change. It is also set so that the top of the door extends up to what would be the normal height of a door on that cabinet when placed in the lowest face item. That is done by moving the Z origin AND setting the Z stretch plane outside the bounding box.  IT WILL however resize in width along with the cabinet so there is no need to float it.

To see what settings are used select the door symbols I placed in the plan, right click and select OPEN SYMBOL do not select Open Object. Study the origin and the stretch planes. .

Also open the cabinet DBX to see how the face items are configured to understand how to get around the problem you're running into.

If you need to do the same thing on a different height cabinet you need a new symbol so it is useful to understand the settings and how to create the symbol.

Understanding symbol manipulation can be very useful with cabinets I would suggest-

1)-download the PDF of the current reference manual. Go to section Symbol Specification Dialog pg 963, then to Editing Custom Symbols pgs 976-980. I use the bookmarks/index to get around instead of all the bookmarks listed.

2) Print out the section Editing Custom Symols-in particular the section on stretch planes. I kept copies of these pages handy for a very long time while learning how to deal with these things.

3) Once you have a handle on some of this head over to the Symbols and the Tips sections of the forum and rummage around for symbols and ideas that have been posted in the past. Download a couple and investigate what is going on with them.

• Upvote 1