Screened in Porch Flooring

SocialAnt

I've made a house that has a screened in porch in the back yard. The flooring consists of a 12-inch concrete slab 22 inches above the 0 terrain. Is that all there is to this flooring or can I just add wood planking directly on top of it? If not, what is the usual composition?

Zack, your slab thickness sounds extreme, usually a 4" to 6" with a turn-down (most cases you do not need a footing as such for something like this but depends on your area codes.) Once you model the room (as in any other build) you open the room dbx go to the structure tab, and drop down to floor finish, and edit it there to add any type of flooring you wish. Hopefully this answers your question?

51 minutes ago, SocialAnt said:

Got it! One more thing. For example, can I just add wood planking directly on top of the concrete slab or is there a bit more to it than that?

When you open the room (Screened Porch) Specifications, and go to the structure tab and open the edit floor finish you can set the exact definition of the make up of the floor.87634952_RoomDBX.thumb.png.5687c5f9b0ade72d6f7d3ef2b0a40e79.png1558174012_Structuretab.thumb.png.f3aab26d3c76b980f57948f2b590b654.png1580200104_MaterialDefinition.thumb.png.98a38bfe1c75adf9ff021cfd311a7254.png by the way, you don't have to use the cushion under the floor for an out door room, and to remove it you just delete from the materials definition menu while the edit menu is open. 

Hi Zack.  Were you asking the process of making it happen in CA or if hardwood flooring can be installed directly over concrete slab?  If the latter, no, "sand & seal" (solid wood) flooring cannot be laid directly over concrete.  There are pre-finished composite products though that can work in this scenario (some waterproof).  You could technically install hardwood planking on sleepers (fur strips) to which the planks could be nailed.  However, you probably wouldn't want solid hardwood planking in an outside room anyway as it will expand/contract quite a bit with no climate control - and would be a big problem were it to get wet.  Sorry if I am off-base with my answer and this is not what you were asking.  Kevin

There are a lot of tiles out there that look just like wood without the maintenance and fear of getting wet.  Use an uncoupling membrane such as Schluter Ditra on the concrete slab with the correct thin set then apply your tile to the top of the membrane again with the correct thin set.  We use this product 100% of the time on all our projects and know it well.  And no I do not work for Schluter but its a great product..... NOT cheap but great quality.

DITRA Membrane With Tile.jpg

Schluter  ALL-SET.jpg